Ed's Red lube too thin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
It is sort of like a compromise between grease and oil.

Greases comes in many NLGI grades...

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
It is sort of like a compromise between grease and oil.

Greases comes in many NLGI grades...

I know that, however I was speaking of common greases (found on the shelves of your average store) which is rated at NLGI viscosity 2, or about the consistency of smooth peanut butter. If I go to my local Wal Mart or hardware store, those are the greases I am going to find almost all of the time.

Originally Posted By: Ws6
Really, I'd just use a good firearm or at LEAST automotive/ind. specific lubricant...

Here I must agree. There really is no point in these home brewed firearms cleaners or lubricants. Perhaps back in the day there was some merit in using them over what was available decades ago. But today you could clean and lubricate your weapons with a different type of product every time you shot them. And you would most likely die of old age before you tried them all.

ATF is a fine lubricant. Just ask the odd 200,000 mile old tranny how that went. We change engine oil at 5K, but tranny fluid at 50K and you think there is anything wrong with ATF as a lubricant ...

Kerosene is somewhat useless. But it will penetrate some things like tape residue.

Why not just use ATF for the lube part? Or, better yet, Rem Oil
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
ATF is a fine lubricant. Just ask the odd 200,000 mile old tranny how that went. We change engine oil at 5K, but tranny fluid at 50K and you think there is anything wrong with ATF as a lubricant ...

Kerosene is somewhat useless. But it will penetrate some things like tape residue.

Why not just use ATF for the lube part? Or, better yet, Rem Oil
smile.gif

Well this was meant to be a question for discussion... for academics, but that went right out the window when everybody failed to read the first post and assumed I was asking about the bore cleaner version even though I wasn't even though I specified as much.

So you ask- "Why not just use ATF for the lube part?" Well... I could, but that also wasn't the question.

I know that there are countless other lubes out there (I have several)- but that wasn't the point of this thread. In case everyone missed it, here it is again- What types of firearms would a mixture of ATF, kerosene and lanolin be suited for? Any? None? Too thin? One person said it'd be too thin, but for what? It is at least thicker than Rem Oil.

Lastly, it is not my intention to be combative, but practically the whole point of this thread was glossed over and no relevant answers were given.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

I know that there are countless other lubes out there (I have several)- but that wasn't the point of this thread. In case everyone missed it, here it is again- What types of firearms would a mixture of ATF, kerosene and lanolin be suited for? Any? None? Too thin? One person said it'd be too thin, but for what? It is at least thicker than Rem Oil.

Lastly, it is not my intention to be combative, but practically the whole point of this thread was glossed over and no relevant answers were given.

My answer was relevant but I will gladly expand on it for you.

You could use the kerosene, ATF and lanolin for guns that do better with a light weight, thinner lubricant. 22's come to mind mostly here. 22's and other guns with very low bolt thrust can actually have their actions slowed down and jammed by thick, heavy lubricants; especially in the cold.

As to your question about poly framed guns, they usually don't require a ton of lubrication on the frame rails. It is the areas of the barrel and slide interaction that need the lubrication. I suppose your suggested mixture would be OK but it would probably be too thin and not enough film strength, IMO.

3 parts HDEO to 1 part ATF would be better general purpose lubricant, especially for guns that require a more robust lubricant. This mixture would also stay in place, have a higher flash point and smell better than your suggested mix. I have used it on ARs, new tight fitting 1911s, shotguns and other guns with good results.

Thank you AMC. That is an answer I can accept.

Out of curiosity, what is the purpose or desired effects of mixing the HDEO with ATF?

Well the HDEO is your primary lubricant. It has better film strength and a stronger additive package than regular PCMO. The ATF adds alot of detergent to help keep the gun clean and make it easier to clean up after firing. The ATF has a different friction reducing additive package compared to motor oil which may help. ATF also gives the mixture a cool looking, red color, which we all know is so important.
wink.gif

I can see use of the OP's original mixture including lanolin, but only for short term (months). Lanolin seems to get thicker over time a changes it's smell. I don't know what is actually happening, but it does.

If I wanted a really good lube for high stress areas of bolt rifles, I use Sta-Lube Assembly Lube. Loaded with moly and graphite and it stays in place up to a year.

Rem Oil to me is just a wipe down thing. Stop the air from getting to the metal for a few days at best.

So maybe the Op's formula would be OK for project guns that are going to the range in a month or 6 weeks or something ... But, long term I'm much more likely to BoeShield TO-9 for weather protection and Assembly Lube in dabs for critical areas ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
What kind of detergent and how much of it are you saying ATF has ?

I meant to say "dispersants" not detergents. The ATF helps keep the non metallic firing residues suspended, until they can be wiped away.

Most other automotive fluids are still pretty weak sauce compared to the additive package of a good HDEO however.

The most important part of the ATF may just be the cool red color it adds.
crazy.gif

If it isn't clear, I am being mostly cynical here. I am not a big fan of these home brew gun lubes and I am not necessarily arguing for them or saying they are anything great.

If someone wants to give it a try though, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back