Time for New Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
The AAP Autocraft Gold is 116.99 using a $40 off $100 online code. That includes the core charge. Turn in the old battery ($22 core) when you pick up the new one, should be 94.99 plus tax.

The core charge won't count to the coupon's $100 unless they make a mistake.

Seems like Advance has covered their coupons with obscene MSRPs now.

My WM valupower is awesome and I'd get another even if I had to wear a Freddie Mercury mustache disguise so I wouldn't be seen in there.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
So, you ran the air compressor with the engine off?

Yes, a little Slime one. Didn't think anything of it. I had zero symptoms of battery going out prior to yesterday. Drove the car home on Friday after work and it sat Saturday and Sunday in the garage. Go to start it yesterday morning while doing the tires and nada.

Originally Posted By: zvm77us
if you have a costco membership then get one at costco, amazing 39 month full replacement warranty

Yes I am a member, I searched the site and didn't see them listed for some reason. Called them and no answer either. Closest Costco is about 25 minutes away anyway.

I have a Batteries Plus store very close by and their Duracell branded car batteries are East Penn. It was easy. For something that will last, hopefully, 3-4 years I don't care about saving a relatively small amount of money. It was a no-brainer for me.

Have you checked out used batteries from a salvage yard? Last couple I got were only $30 and were manufactured less than a year from purchase. Name brand, test at time of purchase and 30 day return.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The AAP Autocraft Gold is 116.99 using a $40 off $100 online code. That includes the core charge. Turn in the old battery ($22 core) when you pick up the new one, should be 94.99 plus tax.

The core charge won't count to the coupon's $100 unless they make a mistake.

Seems like Advance has covered their coupons with obscene MSRPs now.

My WM valupower is awesome and I'd get another even if I had to wear a Freddie Mercury mustache disguise so I wouldn't be seen in there.

Wont matter has to be 100$ before coupon not after coupon.

If my math is right
The battery is 134+22Core=156

The AAP Gold in our Malibu replaced a 6 year old OE battery.

No problems, price was right with online code.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
I've narrowed it down to two choices:
AutoCraft Gold from Advance Auto ($116.49). This is the battery that's currently in and has served me well.
PowerCell Platinum from Meijer ($99.99). Never used one before but I like the price point.

I have two questions before purchasing. Who makes the Meijer battery? How many of you have experience using the Meijer battery?

From the picture, the Meijer battery looks like a Deka

Originally Posted By: Rand

Wont matter has to be 100$ before coupon not after coupon.

not correct

It only has to be $100 before the coupon. This also applies to TRT30/CCTRT30 (30% off $50+) I've used them several times where it was the minimum amount before but not after the coupon. It will work
smile.gif

The core charge won't count to the coupon's $100 unless they make a mistake...

Admittedly been a few years since I purchased an Autocraft Gold and Silver, but what I posted is exactly how the transaction was handled then. Gold battery for the OP is 156.99 including $22 core charge without using a code. With or without core, well over $100 to use $40 off code.

Currently code 6TRT41K gets $40 off $100+.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

It only has to be $100 before the coupon. This also applies to TRT30/CCTRT30 (30% off $50+) I've used them several times where it was the minimum amount before but not after the coupon. It will work
smile.gif

Strike while the iron is hot.
cheers3.gif

Well folks, thank you for all the responses. I'm going to stick with the AC Gold. It's treated me well these years, why switch things up? Maybe if the batteries moved quicker off the shelves at Meijer, I'd bite and feel more comfortable.

Originally Posted By: zvm77us
if you have a costco membership then get one at costco, amazing 39 month full replacement warranty

Yes I am a member, I searched the site and didn't see them listed for some reason. Called them and no answer either. Closest Costco is about 25 minutes away anyway.

I am pretty sure your monte carlo takes the same battery as my impala. In that case they always have it in stock. They don't have a list online of the car batteries they sell in store for around $90. This link may help:
http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/local/kirkland-auto-batteries.htm

Last edited:

The core charge won't count to the coupon's $100 unless they make a mistake...

Admittedly been a few years since I purchased an Autocraft Gold and Silver, but what I posted is exactly how the transaction was handled then. Gold battery for the OP is 156.99 including $22 core charge without using a code. With or without core, well over $100 to use $40 off code.

Currently code 6TRT41K gets $40 off $100+.

Exactly what happed when I bought my Autocraft Gold last week for the Scion.
After the coupon code, my cost was $123.24.
I walked into the store with my bad battery so they refunded the core right then, total cost charged to the credit card was $99.43.

Get yourself a Crown Battery. Almost as good as East Penn, but less money.

No Exide or JCI junk for BITOG'ers

Last edited:

Yes, a little Slime one. Didn't think anything of it. I had zero symptoms of battery going out prior to yesterday. Drove the car home on Friday after work and it sat Saturday and Sunday in the garage. Go to start it yesterday morning while doing the tires and nada.

Don't do that. For any load, run the engine. Starting batteries are for starting and irreparable damage can be done to older batteries this way. I'm going to guess that this wasn't the first time you used the battery for something like this.

Don't do that. For any load, run the engine. Starting batteries are for starting and irreparable damage can be done to older batteries this way. I'm going to guess that this wasn't the first time you used the battery for something like this.

Nope it was not, lesson definitely learned.

Well, the deed is done. Picked up the new battery from AA, had a build date of 11/16, put her in and the car started right up. Voltage was 12.6 engine off, 14.3 running at idle.

Your average car battery is about 90 amp-hours.

A tire inflator takes 10 amps for 10 minutes, or a couple % of the battery capacity. Within its operating window, for sure.

The old one was shot. You're lucky it failed in your driveway.

I had a shot battery like that, that wouldn't crank. I'd put it on a 6 amp charger for 10 minutes. The ammeter would read "charged" and would start right up. No capacity!

Your average car battery is about 90 amp-hours.

A tire inflator takes 10 amps for 10 minutes, or a couple % of the battery capacity. Within its operating window, for sure.

The old one was shot. You're lucky it failed in your driveway.

I had a shot battery like that, that wouldn't crank. I'd put it on a 6 amp charger for 10 minutes. The ammeter would read "charged" and would start right up. No capacity!

+1, Its time was up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back