Installing a ford racing traclok into the explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 4.10 gears and a fully optioned 4X4 explorer with an open diff (why I don't know). I think it could do a bit better in the snow. Don't want anything too aggressive because locked wheels could mean lots of oversteer. This is the unit with the carbon fiber TL clutches.

So, for about $300 with all new axle seals and bearings (pinion being left alone) I can install a cobra carrier. All I have to worry about is backlash so I will get a shim kit(maybe I will get lucky with the old shims).

Questions:
1) 75W90 or 75W140? No Towing. Thinking of using either VV or M1. Later Explorers do spec the heavier fluid, but that could be because of towing or the IRS which has much less fluid. The Mustangs spec the lower weight. Honestly I could probably get away with 80W90(what is listed in the 96 manual). That is what is in there now, VV synblend.
2) Add the limited slip fluid or rely on what is already in the fluid. I called valvoline, they said you absolutely don't need LS fluid with their product.

Last edited:
Use the 74W140. You are going to want to soak the clutches in FM. My friend just installed that same one on his Crown Vic. He used the Motorcraft 75W140 so additional FM was required.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Use the 74W140. You are going to want to soak the clutches in FM. My friend just installed that same one on his Crown Vic. He used the Motorcraft 75W140 so additional FM was required.

Yes, with the motorcraft oil you need it, but pretty much all aftermarket oils claim to contain it. Maybe I should get the MC oil from the local distributor?

I have to disassemble the unit and soak the clutches? Isn't it ready to install from the factory?

Agree with the 75w140 and I have had good success with mobil 1 with no additional friction modifiers in the super duties

I put the same diff clutch kit in the f-150 8.8 (needing the larger carrier for the 4.56 gears),I soaked mine as instructed. Set-up, break-in etc...MAN what a difference!

Brand new she'd scrub the inside tire on tight turns for the first couple hundred miles and eventually lessened. This is a pretty aggressive l/s.

Totally changed the truck off-road....for the better.

Boy, I don't understand... I though almost all Exploders came with posi?

For snow and ice I'd be careful of a full time posi. I might want to go Eaton E-Locker or Air Locker. That way it would be open all the time until you push the button
smile.gif

But, I understand wanting to do this for less money... How about a full used 3rd member out of an Exploder with Posi? Should be cheap enough at a wrecker. then just swap in your gears and new seals.

I think you need to play with oils and FM amounts to get the balance you want. W/o FM, it might chatter too much. Some oils will lessen the LS action. There'll be a happy medium somewhere ...
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Boy, I don't understand... I though almost all Exploders came with posi?

For snow and ice I'd be careful of a full time posi. I might want to go Eaton E-Locker or Air Locker. That way it would be open all the time until you push the button
smile.gif

But, I understand wanting to do this for less money... How about a full used 3rd member out of an Exploder with Posi? Should be cheap enough at a wrecker. then just swap in your gears and new seals.

I think you need to play with oils and FM amounts to get the balance you want. W/o FM, it might chatter too much. Some oils will lessen the LS action. There'll be a happy medium somewhere ...
laugh.gif

Nope, apparently it is an option on the V6es. I do agree that if the rear locks on an ice sheet you are in big trouble, especially with no traction control. An open always has one wheel with the most traction you could have in that situation. And with 4x4 yo have all the traction you need, The guy that I bought it from made that a selling point. I did though get stuck though a few years ago with the truck.

The limited slip is not a full time posi, but nonetheless if both rear wheels are on ice I guess it could get dicey.

A loaded axle isn't going to happen around here cause everything gets scrapped and no pick and pulls. Also, I'll have to rebuild the posi and it cost $100 or so for the kit. It is easy to drop that in and have all bearings and seals (and brakes too) refreshed for 300.

Originally Posted By: Bzab32
Agree with the 75w140 and I have had good success with mobil 1 with no additional friction modifiers in the super duties
THIS! I have run Mobil 1 75w140 in a few different Traclocs with good results.

I've run Trak-loc's with both organic and CF clutches both tradional and the alternate stack methods. Every single time, regardless of fluid, they have required at least a bottle of friction modifier. I have always used the Motorcraft friction modifier, but have used many different dino and synthetic oils.

FWIW, the Eaton Posi I just installed in the truck took two bottles of the Motorcraft FM to settle down the clutch packs (running MC 75w140 synth oil). After breaking I switched to Amsoil SG 75w140, which has FM in it, plus I added 4oz of the Amsoil additive and it is behaving nicely. Not a Ford Trac-lok, but interesting.

Edit: I should add that all the Ford trac-lok's have been in 8.8 rears.

Last edited:
Sorry about the no Pic-N-Pulls ... Bummer
frown.gif

I hear you. I had an 8.8 with a Trac Lok that was pretty dicey in teh snow. It depends on the power you feed it. Just off idle, no biggie - it's pretty soft. But it would turn the inside tire on asphalt if you hit it from a dead stop. And that was with a V6 ...

So I know what you mean by balance and iffy. It'll be fun to get your feedabck after a snow storm
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back