Purolator L12222, TORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4WD
It's like this company has no plan but to let less informed people get hosed by these poor products ...

Just like food, medicine, toys your kids play with, c'mon, why are you surprised?

Oh 636 is missing out..

I guess the lesson learned here is, don't let the pretty paint job on the can fool you.

Still high flow filters!

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
It's a very slight tear so you could say they're improving!

Haha Charlie's right. They could market it as the "new and improved Tearolator. Now with an even smaller tear!"

Thought it was "Torn Between Two Louvers" ...
wink.gif

Haha I loved that song when I was a little kid. Al Yankovic needs to do a Tearolator rendition of that Mary McGregor classic!!

Thought it was "Torn Between Two Louvers" ...
wink.gif

lol.gif
... good one.

That media is JUNK.. How can it possibly tear before the bypass kicks in????

..and it has louvers, so that didn't fix the problem...

Last edited:
The Purolator fanboy trolls will be out soon when they see this. Let's see,
Some of their favorite lines:
1. Tears don't matter
2. The op did it on purpose.
3. The op cut it while cutting the filter open.
4. Nothing to see here, use with confidence.
5. Most of the oil still gets filtered so no big deal.
6. It's a BITOG conspiracy to make Purolator look bad by other filter fanboys.
Feel free to add the ones I forgot, they come up with some whoppers.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
The Purolator fanboy trolls will be out soon when they see this. Let's see,
Some of their favorite lines:
1. Tears don't matter
2. The op did it on purpose.
3. The op cut it while cutting the filter open.
4. Nothing to see here, use with confidence.
5. Most of the oil still gets filtered so no big deal.
6. It's a BITOG conspiracy to make Purolator look bad by other filter fanboys.
Feel free to add the ones I forgot, they come up with some whoppers.
Yeah, it must have been car51 tearing the filter on purpose!
crackmeup2.gif

It's usually the ones with the metal crimp that tear. The glued ones seem to make it. I had one of the metal crimped P1's that tore when this was first becoming a problem a few years ago. I stopped using them after that. I did buy an STP 3614 that was a purolator re-branded last year. I didn't know it until after I got home. I installed it anyway. It did not tear after 6 mos of use but had the glued seam, not the metal one. I still won't use them.

I hate to see tears as much as the next guy, but don't understand why everyone's up in arms about it. Sure it goes on in a lot of other brands unnoticed that don't get cut open. After all, it's not like as soon as it tears all the oil will automatically gravitate towards the tear and only go through it and not the rest of the filter. I doubt much oil actually passes directly through the tear, pretty sure the majority of it is targeted towards the center of the media.

Quote:
Sure it goes on in a lot of other brands unnoticed that don't get cut open.

Total B.S. BITOG cuts open many different brands, not just Purolator, and do find tears time to time, but we don't find a trend with the tears, Purolators we do.

The aggregate suggest there is a problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
The aggregate suggest there is still a problem.
Added a modifier
wink.gif

There are not many Tearolator apologists left on this site. By this point they are probably having to self medicate to get thru the day....

Originally Posted By: jongies3
I hate to see tears as much as the next guy, but don't understand why everyone's up in arms about it. Sure it goes on in a lot of other brands unnoticed that don't get cut open. After all, it's not like as soon as it tears all the oil will automatically gravitate towards the tear and only go through it and not the rest of the filter. I doubt much oil actually passes directly through the tear, pretty sure the majority of it is targeted towards the center of the media.

The oil flows to where the pressure drop is least, at the tear. Depending on the size of the tear determines if oil flows through the rest of the media. Just like a bypass valve works. Oil is not targeted anywhere, it goes through the base holes and in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back