Lowest NOACK 5w-30 synthetic ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JS2000
While talking about 10w30 Amsoil signature series has always had very low NOACK on their 10w30 visc.

For 5w30 Red Line is quite good and I always liked it's viscosity and HTHS in that viscosity if you don't mind a boutique oil and the cost.

Redline 5w-30 is definitely on the list . I need to give Amsoil a second look though becasue it will probably be easier to find locally.

It doesn't exist but a VII-free 10W20, full PAO (maybe a tiny splash of ester for seals), 1000 ppm Phos, 10 TBN (based on 400 TBN Mg Sulphonate), 500 ppm Moly, say 0.5% of DPA, LITTLE or NO ashless dispersant, tight on HTHS/CCS. Bish, bosh, bash...I'm guessing 3% Noack!

Originally Posted By: cnatra

I've used a lot of M1 & M1 EP over the last 12yrs (currently in the wife's RX350) with good results.

What is the M1 "ESP" ??

Thx

ESP=Emissions System Protection, basically a passenger car diesel oil that is easier to find in Europe than the US.
I bought some at Pep Boys a while ago for over $10/liter, a poster here says it can be found at NAPA on sale for $7/liter at times.
I picked up my 12 liters on Amazon for the equivalent of about $8/quart with free shipping, and I was happy with that. I think they sell multiliter containers in Europe, but haven't seen them offered here. I can almost guarantee you'll never see ESP at WalMart...

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp

Popular with a lot of turbo drivers due to the high HTHS for its grade, low NOACK, and low SAPS (0.6%). Lots of people with Subaru turbos see their XW30 oils shearing down to 20 grade fairly quickly in UOAs, ESP 5W30 is supposedly robust enough to avoid that.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

I've used a lot of M1 & M1 EP over the last 12yrs (currently in the wife's RX350) with good results.

What is the M1 "ESP" ??

Thx

ESP=Emissions System Protection, basically a passenger car diesel oil that is easier to find in Europe than the US.
I bought some at Pep Boys a while ago for over $10/liter, a poster here says it can be found at NAPA on sale for $7/liter at times.
I picked up my 12 liters on Amazon for the equivalent of about $8/quart with free shipping, and I was happy with that. I think they sell multiliter containers in Europe, but haven't seen them offered here. I can almost guarantee you'll never see ESP at WalMart...

Popular with a lot of turbo drivers due to the high HTHS for its grade, low NOACK, and low SAPS (0.6%). Lots of people with Subaru turbos see their XW30 oils shearing down to 20 grade fairly quickly in UOAs, ESP 5iW30 is supposedly robust enough to avoid that.

THANKS for all the detailed info.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

What is the M1 "ESP" ??

Thx

Popular with a lot of turbo drivers due to the high HTHS for its grade, low NOACK, and low SAPS (0.6%). Lots of people with Subaru turbos see their XW30 oils shearing down to 20 grade fairly quickly in UOAs, ESP 5W30 is supposedly robust enough to avoid that.

$5.99 in NAPA, not $7:)

Originally Posted By: car51
Believe a member here just posted EDGE 0w40 NOACK 9%

Yes, me.
NOACK 9.1% which s where it suppose to be for PAO based 0W40.
Pennzoil should have low NOACK considering they are now GTL based, but they are not publishing numbers.

They probably won't publish those #'s either. Nothing wrong with Castrol in my eyes. Glad I have 2 jugs of their 0w40 to use up courtesy of Super K mart going out of business
smile.gif

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum did have NOACK numbers fir awhile in their tds. The 5w30 was around 11% and the 10w30 was 4.4%. Some people on here actually noted that the old Pennzoil Ultra had NOACK numbers around 6%. So they weren't impressed needless to say
smile.gif

smile.gif

You are more than welcome!
Sorry I got edyvw's NAPA sale price for the ESP wrong and he had to pop in and correct me.
I will need to keep an eye out for their sales, although I am set for a while with 12 liters.

Originally Posted By: SR5
If it's SN then max Noack is 15%
if it's Dexos1 max Noack is 13%
if it's A3/B4 and MB 229.5 then max Noack is 10%

The Belgian Castrol Edge 0W30 (A3/B4, SL, MB 229.5, BMW LL-01) in the other thread has a spec sheet and it lists the Noack at 8.3%
It also has a HTHS of 3.5 cP, when a typical ILSAC 30 grade would have a HTHS of 3.0 +/- 0.1

If it never drops below 0F (-20C) for you, then consider a synthetic 10W30, they often have a Noack in the 6 to 8 % range.

yeah , I think 9 months out of the year a 10w-30 would be fine for what I need

You could easily run 10w30 year round. There is zero reason for you to change oils based on your climate in TX. You'll be protected well below any temperature youll face there.

I agree. I have no problem running 10w30 year round in Iowa. But to be fair about that, my vehicles live in a heated garage in the winter when they are not being used. My 2006 Caddy and my previous 2013 Silverado 1500 and my present Silverado 2500 have no complaints. Haven't lost an engine in 45 years and most of that time, 10w30 was what got used.

think I'll be spending some time reading up on 10w-30 data now
smile.gif

I think that weight makes a lot of sense in your climate.

Redline lists alot of information on their oils.

I found this thread in a search for low NOACK.

Alot of Redline's normal oils are 5-6% and even the straight 70wt nitro oil doesnt go lower, but the 2wt racing oil is 65% volatility. Whatever a 2wt is for, who knows but I was wanting for for general purpose oil for its extremely low viscosity, but you have to buy a gallon and have it shipped.

up to date noack + HTHS specs are getting hard to find prolly due to the xxw30 oils making the government pushed xxw20 waters look poor as they are. overall higher viscosity oils have better specs + protect better, but a very small mpg penalty is normal. oils that are 0W or 5W use more thinner base oils to meet the cold flow spec but they burn off quicker. oil blenders generally use the most cost effective base oil + add packs to meet a spec. oils like Redline are superior + must cost more to more costly ingredients + are not a fair comparison to typical $5 a qt + or - oils which are all or mostly good but fake synthetic highly processed crude oils + thats the facts!!

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by cnatra

smile.gif

Sorry I got edyvw's NAPA sale price for the ESP wrong and he had to pop in and correct me.
I will need to keep an eye out for their sales, although I am set for a while with 12 liters.

Wow, this is a blast from the past!
I used 10 liters of the ESP for two changes and then ended up using the rest for topoff in later changes after I decided to not buy any more...my engine takes something like 5.4 quarts, so I always need a bit more than a jug.
Felt weird using such rare and expensive oil that way...think I still have a tiny bit left.

Originally Posted by cnatra

smile.gif

Wow, this is a blast from the past!
I used 10 liters of the ESP for two changes and then ended up using the rest for topoff in later changes after I decided to not buy any more...my engine takes something like 5.4 quarts, so I always need a bit more than a jug.
Felt weird using such rare and expensive oil that way...think I still have a tiny bit left.

LOL. Castrol 0W30 goes on sale sometimes on Amazon. I got 6qt for $38. If you are not stuck on 5W30 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back