TriboChemistry in an OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I have been piecing together multi posts regarding the lubricating life cycle of an OCI. The impression I am getting is early on in an OCI...the additive/detergent package is at its highest levels and somewhat impedes an oils’ TriboChemistries effectiveness? Implying that early OCIs (assuming you are not trying to clean an engine) might not be good long-term? So, as oil moves along its OCI curve the TriboChemistries improve? Is that the general idea I am gleaning from all of this? Thanks.

That's my basic understanding. The new chemistry may actually try to tear down the current protective chemical layers and reintroduce the new stuff. Probably more true if you frequently shift chemistries (ie from PP to M1 to Synpower....all 3 are usually quite different). I guess it's possible you vehicle could have less protection for those first 500-2,000 miles. Would love to see some extensive studies done on this topic. The auto industry would generally be against it since frequent oil changes (followed by added services during "inspections") is one of the biggest profit makers for them.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Hello All,

I have been piecing together multi posts regarding the lubricating life cycle of an OCI. The impression I am getting is early on in an OCI...the additive/detergent package is at its highest levels and somewhat impedes an oils’ TriboChemistries effectiveness? Implying that early OCIs (assuming you are not trying to clean an engine) might not be good long-term? So, as oil moves along its OCI curve the TriboChemistries improve? Is that the general idea I am gleaning from all of this? Thanks.

There have bee a number of papers hinting that, but most have been misunderstood by the public. Look up Solarent's post about what the Paper's really say.

My advice is, if you are not sure about your OCI's and you are are not doing trending with UOA's, then use the "Severe Service" schedule outlined in your owners manual.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Will read for myself as suggested. Thanks again to all for the education. Have a great weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back