0/20 spec really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tech819
This is from the Pennzoil Q and A take it for what you want.

6. I’m interested in making a custom blend for my vehicles. Preferentially starting with Rotella T6 5W-40, as it’s in the family, but wanting something a bit closer to 5W-30. Rotella as it’s in the family, and a strong oil, but if needed, Platinum Euro 5W-40 could be considered as a starting point. I would like to blend it down to a 5W-30 using Platinum 5W-20, so that I will end up with a 5W-30 with a little more anti-wear additive than the typical 5W-30. Are there any problems doing this, and will the results be as I expect them to be?

The physical results may be very much as you expect i.e. viscosity is likely to be predictable following well known physical laws however the chemical effects are highly unpredictable. Wear performance is not dictated solely by the amount of wear protecting additives in an oil, the efficacy (effectiveness) of the additives must also be considered. Efficacy can be negatively impacted by changing the balance of a formulation package. The approach you suggest could conceivably result in poorer performance, I would recommend choosing a single tier of product, and Pennzoil Platinum has been designed to offer complete protection including unsurpassed wear performance.

Of course Pennzoil/Shell is going to tell you just to use their products and not risk mixing. If you could make better 5W30 by mixing 40 and 20, then everyone would do it and their 30 would suffer. People switch oil brands all the time and grades too. The left over oil would still be stuck to parts of the engine and mixing always occurs. My car takes 4L to fill but if rebuilding and bone dry, will take 5L. So no matter how well the engine is drained, you always have around 1L left in the engine, stuck to various parts that won't drain.

Originally Posted By: KL31
If you could make better 5W30 by mixing 40 and 20, then everyone would do it and their 30 would suffer.

How are you going to tell that the mix is in fact better, without subjecting it to the barage of tests that properly formulated oils have to undergo ?

The "possibility" that the blend could be better is a logical fallacy, used to justify it when as end users we can't even quantify if it is EVEN as good as either of the individual oils. You could magically be making an identical brew to that on the Gimbal mechanism on the Hubble telescope, but short of testing, the "if" is meaningless.

Even the manufacturers who grudgingly accept (or promote) mixing advise to stick within their own product streams so that the additives are about the same.

Originally Posted By: Hounds
You have another PM.

Why all the secrecy ?
grin2.gif

Hounds has advised me to use a proven HTO oil based on prior experience with first year Honda cam issues to summarize.

The only question is the FF, I'm ready to dump it at 4,000 ..if it mattered, it did it's duty as I'm pulling mid and upper 40's mpg. I don't really want to soldier on not knowing what the weight really is...any further break in will have to occur on my terms and 5/30 Mobil 1.

Excellent!

Glad you were able to come to a decision that makes you happy. M1 5/30 will serve your 1.5T well.

I think 4,000 miles on break-in is plenty, the break-in process is surely done by then and you won't get much more benefit from the FF moly.

I think the HTO oil chosen is a good idea, if it is good enough for the RDX it will be good for the 1.5T, some good peace of mind there.

I don't know much about cam issues, other than what I heard many years back about slightly increased cam wear with 20 weights, hence the addition of moly to reduce potential wear ?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: dblshock
so the consensus is a 0/20 offers equal protection from wear as a 5/30?
No !

the consensus is that the engine wouldn't explode on 0w20 - if driven gently. Any stronger statement will be argued over.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: akela
so the consensus is a 0/20 offers equal protection from wear as a 5/30?
No !

the consensus is that the engine wouldn't explode on 0w20 - if driven gently. Any stronger statement will be argued over.
smile.gif

So you are saying the owner's manuals for cars that spec 0W-20 should say to drive them "gently" or engine explosion is likely?

If a certain viscosity keeps the parts separated during the most severe operation that oil is good enough. There is also how much cushion you have for heat,fuel dilution etc. I run XW-30 in XW-20 recommended.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
smile.gif

So you are saying the owner's manuals for cars that spec 0W-20 should say to drive them "gently" or engine explosion is likely?

I don't remember saying anything about the owner's manuals...

engine wear vs. fractional increased fuel efficiency, it's a compromise but gas is $2.10 gal. I'd rather have a fresher engine at 125k.

smile.gif

It was a question to you. If it's true that engines using 0W-20 should be driven gently or risk engine explosion, shouldn't that be communicated to consumers?

Or is it not true?

Originally Posted By: wemay
Excellent!

Glad you were able to come to a decision that makes you happy. M1 5/30 will serve your 1.5T well.

I agree, think that is a great choice for a modern turbo.

If a certain viscosity keeps the parts separated during the most severe operation that oil is good enough. There is also how much cushion you have for heat,fuel dilution etc. I run XW-30 in XW-20 recommended.

Any warranty worries running a non-spec'd viscosity? It's a temptation for many of us...

engine wear vs. fractional increased fuel efficiency, it's a compromise but gas is $2.10 gal. I'd rather have a fresher engine at 125k.

Your opinion doesnt make it fact. I drive my car hard and have used 0w20 most its life with zero issues, no oil burning or anything. I have actually had to add oil since I put in 0w40...but unlike you I wont make the opinion that its linked to oil weight. How about I start making claim that heavier oil resulted in my car burning oil? Comparable to your ideas on thin oil.

A fresher engine? That's a new one.

I've had to worry about (among other things) oxidation, shear, fuel dilution, metals, filtering efficiency and TBN. Now I have to worry that my engine stays fresh?

smile.gif

It was a question to you. If it's true that engines using 0W-20 should be driven gently or risk engine explosion, shouldn't that be communicated to consumers?

Or is it not true?

I don't remember saying that the engine would explode. On the contrary, I said it wouldn't
smile.gif

Can't believe this thread is still alive.

OP obviously doesn't like thin oil and started this thread as to nudge the thin oil people here.
28.gif
28.gif

I thought it was a high quality discussion and the conclusion was almost unanimous that a higher viscosity than Honda's spec was appropriate in this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back