0/20 spec really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dblshock
would 0/20 be appropriate to take this to a track with?

At the track your going to get eaten alive with that anemic motor+front wheel drive. It's an economy car...I doubt it will last 4 sessions without warping your rotors....

About oil, ran what your climate calls for...out here in AZ I run 30w/40w/50w....60w at the track..don't have to worry about cold starts in phoenix

Last edited:
0W-20 is not necessarily a "premium price" oil - look at this deal for example - under $2 / qt. after MIR. That's less than Supertech conventional 5W-20 or 5W-30.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4224824/1

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quaker-State-Ultimate-Durability-0W20-Motor-Oil-5-qt/36250522

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-SuperTech-5W20-Motor-Oil-5-Quart/16565451

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-SuperTech-5W30-Motor-Oil-5-Quart/16474403

I have a bunch of QSUD 0W-20 & 5W-20 in my stash from when Menard's put it on sale for $2.99 / qt. stacked with a $2 / qt. MIR in 2014. Hard to find conventional for $0.99 / qt. these days.

My Sentra owners manual recommends 0W-20, but states that 5W-30 can be used. I've been using 0W-20 since I bought the car to maintain the warranty and I don't see a reason apart from cost to go to 5W-30.

Use what's on the oil fill cap. This website has become the worst place to come for oil advice.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Use what's on the oil fill cap. This website has become the worst place to come for oil advice.

I'll have mine well salted thanks...I agree.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
It's always good to find out what the oil spec is for the same car in other countries, such as Australia.

How is that relevant unless ur driving it in Australia?

Just because it may be interesting to see what the same cars specs in a different country not subject to CAFE regs. You don't have to follow it, but it may be interesting to know.

My car specs a different oil in Europe than Australia so finding this out opened up my choices and allowed me a better selection of oils.

Of course local climate should be taken into account, especially when it comes to cold starting. A 15W-40 may work in Australia, but a 5W-40 or a 0W-40 would probably be a better choice in Canada.

My interst is mostly in the second number, the hot oil spec. The first number, the cold start spec should suit the local climate.

Having said all that, I'm no Honda expert, but I don't think we get the 1.5 Turbo Civic in Australia. I would see what the Europe or Japan oil specs are.....just out of interest.

Last edited:
Different engine, but just out of interest, this person is running 5W-30 in their Honda that normally runs 0W-20.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3914274/

Biggest difference appears to be reduced oil consumption.

They are running it because they were given free oil, and its working fine for them.

Still nothing wrong with a quality 0W-20 in a modern 4 cylinder Honda, especially under warranty.

Originally Posted By: LotI

Ford went back to 5w-30 after decades of recommending 5w-20 in the modular engines in the Super Duty trucks and vans last year. Higher wear in certain high-mileage conditions were cited as the reason for the change. Since these trucks aren't rated by the EPA they can make the change without repercussions. Ford also specs a 30 in truck ecoboost engines and a 50 in certain 5.0 apps.

I heard the same thing from a few people I know servicing them.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Ford went back to 5w-30 after decades of recommending 5w-20 in the modular engines in the Super Duty trucks and vans last year. Higher wear in certain high-mileage conditions were cited as the reason for the change. Since these trucks aren't rated by the EPA they can make the change without repercussions. Ford also specs a 30 in truck ecoboost engines and a 50 in certain 5.0 apps.

Yep and Ford Australia spec 5W-30 in the 5.0L V8 Mustang.

of course I won't be on a track with this but I have an opportunity 50 miles a week to flog it on a stretch of country road where I'm basically alone and don't want to pay a penalty beyond fuel.

I'm really leaning toward a 5/30 summer 0/30 winter compromise to 0/20 or 5/40, no one has presented an argument against heavier oil yet, why?

of course I won't be on a track with this but I have an opportunity 50 miles a week to flog it on a stretch of country road where I'm basically alone and don't want to pay a penalty beyond fuel.

I'm really leaning toward a 5/30 summer 0/30 winter compromise to 0/20 or 5/40, no one has presented an argument against heavier oil yet, why?

Because you're 9 years and 1200 posts in on this board and still don't know better than being unreasonably afraid of a 0w20 causing accelerated wear when we have years and millions example showing the contrary. With some of the questions you've been asking, I'm hoping most of those posts are not offering advice.

You don't want to be convinced that the factory got it right on this one and want a bunch of people to jump in here and agree with you, that's pretty clear.

Running a 40wt will do nothing in that motor but waste fuel and satisfy your misinformed notions on what's going on inside the engine. You will be absolutely protected with 0w20 for your usage. You don't have severe use. You just drive it on the highway slightly more than the average consumer.

Originally Posted By: Doog
is there a down side to a 5/30? I can't think of any other than efficiency.

Initial start up wear.....

Huh, where did that come from?

Start-up wear is prevented by the residual oil film left at shut-down. It has to do with the strength of residual film. It will take a few seconds for nay pumped oil to get anywhere and most of a motor is not protected by pumped oil anyway (cylinder walls, rings, wrist pins, timing chains, some cam drives, etc.). All these parts are sling oil lubed off the mist thrown by the crank. So how do they "wear" faster from 0/20 vs 5/30 ...

You were even before you started this trollish thread and never were open to any sort of opinion from anyone else.

This whole thick/thin thread was a massive waste of bandwidth. Everything you or anyone else has said here has been repeated 50+ times already.

People need to realize that this is a troll post and OP clearly doesn't care for thin oils. He got sound advise on why to use it then to up the ante he brought up tracking the car knowing full well what the answer is.

Last edited:
...no one has presented an argument against heavier oil yet, why?

Trolling.gif

You have to use a 10W-60 or maybe a 20W-50. Anything less and you can grenade your engine. A good relevant example would be BMW switching to 10W-60 for some of their M-engines, which obviously are totally comparable to your 1.5L Honda engine.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Originally Posted By: Doog
is there a down side to a 5/30? I can't think of any other than efficiency.

Initial start up wear.....

Huh, where did that come from?
oil 101.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Yep and Ford Australia spec 5W-30 in the 5.0L V8 Mustang.
That is because Aus is upside down as compared to the N. hemisphere so of course the oil requirements are different.
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back