0/20 spec really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it a bit early to know anything about this 1.5L turbo motor from Honda? For all we know 5W30 might have accelerated wear or other undesirable issues. [Unless if said weight is recommended in other countries.]

OP wants to run 5W30 in his car. I say go for it. The odds are that nothing will come of it, as the majority of cars on the road haven't cared in the past, won't care in the future; and the OP isn't likely to own long enough to see the difference from changing up/down a weight (or two). If nothing else, it'll be another bit of antedotal evidence to argue over in future thread arguments discussions.

Originally Posted By: supton
Isn't it a bit early to know anything about this 1.5L turbo motor from Honda? For all we know 5W30 might have accelerated wear or other undesirable issues. [Unless if said weight is recommended in other countries.]

OP wants to run 5W30 in his car. I say go for it. The odds are that nothing will come of it, as the majority of cars on the road haven't cared in the past, won't care in the future; and the OP isn't likely to own long enough to see the difference from changing up/down a weight (or two). If nothing else, it'll be another bit of antedotal evidence to argue over in future thread arguments discussions.

Nobody is saying that the 5w30 or 40wt will hurt anything. It won't. His reasoning for why he wants to run it is what is lacking. 0w20 won't make it an oil burner. Driving at 80 mph isn't reason for needing a change viscosity in 2016. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: supton

Nobody is saying that the 5w30 or 40wt will hurt anything. It won't. His reasoning for why he wants to run it is what is lacking. 0w20 won't make it an oil burner. Driving at 80 mph isn't reason for needing a change viscosity in 2016. Etc. Etc. Etc.

01.gif

Soon I guess Honda will be releasing the fast versions of Civic the Si & R bet they don't spec 0/20.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Soon I guess Honda will be releasing the fast versions of Civic the Si & R bet they don't spec 0/20.

And your point? How does this relate to anything about your engine? They spec'd 5w-30 for the K20 and 5w-20 for the R18 back in the day as well. Two totally different engines performance-wise. I believe though they did specify 0W-20 in the old turbo RDX motor (K23 I think?).

Originally Posted By: kjbock

And your point? How does this relate to anything about your engine? They spec'd 5w-30 for the K20 and 5w-20 for the R18 back in the day as well. Two totally different engines performance-wise. I believe though they did specify 0W-20 in the old turbo RDX motor (K23 I think?).

That engine used 5W30 HTO-06

But you DON'T HAVE an Si or an R. You have the base model that Honda told you that you can run 0w20 in. Don't equate "fast" needing thicker oil.

Your logic is WAY off.

They don't spec 0/20 in the fast ones cause those need more protection from stress and few are produced so CAFE not disturbed enough to put their 0/20 spec on them too.

240 mi. trip up the west side of Lake Michigan this afternoon on 0/20 FF..47.1 mpg. ...when I switched the Highlander over to delvac1 5/40 the only difference is the engine sounds really good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: kjbock

That engine used 5W30 HTO-06

Sorry, yes, thanks for the correction.

do the 5/30 oils protect better than 0/20 oils apples to apples? can that be said?

Yes and 10W-30 protects better than 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
do the 5/30 oils protect better than 0/20 oils apples to apples? can that be said?

Yes and 10W-30 protects better than 5W-30.

So your saying 0/30 winter and 10/30 summer +60F

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: LotI

Ford went back to 5w-30 after decades of recommending 5w-20 in the modular engines in the Super Duty trucks and vans last year. Higher wear in certain high-mileage conditions were cited as the reason for the change. Since these trucks aren't rated by the EPA they can make the change without repercussions. Ford also specs a 30 in truck ecoboost engines and a 50 in certain 5.0 apps.

I heard the same thing from a few people I know servicing them.

Yep and Ford Australia spec 5W-30 in the 5.0L V8 Mustang.
That is because Aus is upside down as compared to the N. hemisphere so of course the oil requirements are different.
15.gif

Yes, that and the Coriolis effect spinning the oil the other way around the sump, this is a major engineering issue that is often ignored. Lucky we have Penrite, they formula their oil to spin the other way.

Originally Posted By: cmhj
Run straight 90 weight!

You KNOW that gear oils use a different chart and you are really saying

Originally Posted By: cmhj
Run a heavy 40, light 50 grade

Don't you ?

Doesn't sound so silly that way either...

Try not to get banned from the Honda dealer for yelling at them for starting up the car too much and you'll be fine.

So your saying 0/30 winter and 10/30 summer +60F

That depends on how cold your winters are. I run 10W-30 all the way down to +17F, although the owner's manual says 5W-30 is permissible below +60F.

I'm currently running 15w40 in a pair of 2013 Toyota Matrix, good down to about 0*F. In one 12000 mile (20K km) oci, neither required oil.
Sometimes they get HDEO cracker bottoms, which consists of 10w30, SAE 30 'n 40, and 15w40, all of the same brand, dumped into one pail.
The 2013 5.3 L 1500 has 15w40 in it right now, but may spend it's winter in Stuart, BC so it will get 5w35 1/2.
All the fuss over someone looking for a little support in wanting to try a thicker engine oil.

For an alleged "troll thread" this topic has done very well so far.

Change the sign from + to - and you'll be closer to what the OP sees in Jan and Feb.
After a few below zero mornings, 17F feels pretty comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back