10W30 oil for Dodge Magnum SXT?

I recently bought a 2005 Dodge Magnum SXT with the 3.5L V6. Chrysler specifying 10W30 oil for the 3.5L V6 seems odd. Most manufacturers have been calling for 5W30 or even 5W20 for decades. What makes the 3.5 so different?

I've always used Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec 0W30 in my Camaro, which I now only drive occasionally in the summer. From my knowledge of how oil viscosity works, 0W30 is the same as 10W30 at working temperature, just doesn't get as thick at freezing. One advantage it has is its viscosity index, which keeps it from getting as thin as 10W30 when overheating. So why could I not use that?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I would probably use Mobil 1 and call it a day... Great oil and it's found everywhere usually at a decent price.

If the OP is concerned about specs, M1 does not meet Chrysler MS-6395. What makes M1 better than Brand A and B?

Not sure why they spec a 10w30 !! can't see why a 0w or 5w30 wouldnt do ??
i had a 2006 300 with the 3.5 , used a syn 10w30 never any issues also never any problem starting in the winter.

I'd use Mobil 1 0w30. I have some in my garage and it DOES meet MS-6395, not sure about the current formulation, as if it matters after 11 years anyways.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'd use Mobil 1 0w30. I have some in my garage and it DOES meet MS-6395, not sure about the current formulation, as if it matters after 11 years anyways.

That's odd, how long ago is that from? The last time I looked at M1 it didn't have the spec. Plus when I plug in a Chrysler vehicle on M1s oil selector it only recommends me Mobil SS.

Last edited:
I have no problem using a 10w30 in my vehicles that call for 5w30. Each has their own comfort zone on this issue. 10w30 usually has a significantly lower NOACK than the colder temp versions. My vehicles sit in a heated garage when not being used, and none of them is a daily driver. The same 10w30 in my 2015 John Deere Gator, my 2006 Cadillac, and my 2015 Silverado 2500 and call it a day.

I just checked and most of Mobil super engine oils Meet that spec MS-6395
However i could not find it with the Mobil 1
If their conventional oils meet it why not the Mobil 1 ?

The 3.5l and 4l Chrysler's never moved past the 10w30 recommendation. No one seems to have a clear cut answer as to why. I used 5w30 in winter and 10w30 in summer when I had a 3.5l. never had a mechanical problem.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
I would probably use Mobil 1 and call it a day... Great oil and it's found everywhere usually at a decent price.

If the OP is concerned about specs, M1 does not meet Chrysler MS-6395. What makes M1 better than Brand A and B?

Not sure why the OP would care about that easy to meet Chrysler spec on an 11 year old Dodge?

I'd just use a quality dino 5w30 to save money. VWB and PYB both meet that Chrysler spec if you care (you shouldn't) and would do better for your climate. You could certainly run a 0w30 if you felt like spending extra money for the synthetic but you would do just fine with the dino.

Passed on a 2007 3.5L to son at 120k ... Always 10w-30 M1 ... North of 160k with no issues - but did change timing sling at 96k to be proactive (asked them to do water pump while it was there/easy)

I'd use whatever 0W-30 you had in the colder months and go back to a 10W-30 in summer. For whatever reason, the "H.O." 3.5's were spec'd for 10W-30...

I just checked and most of Mobil super engine oils Meet that spec MS-6395
However i could not find it with the Mobil 1
If their conventional oils meet it why not the Mobil 1 ?

Probably because they didn't want pay for the certification and Pennzoil is now the supplier for them as an OEM.

VWB meets the spec but M1 doesn't. Does that mean M1 isn't as good as VWB? Of course not.

Mobil Super gets used a fair amount as default bulk at the quick lubes and in various vehicle makes ...

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

That's odd, how long ago is that from? The last time I looked at M1 it didn't have the spec. Plus when I plug in a Chrysler vehicle on M1s oil selector it only recommends me Mobil SS.
It's a little older. But I doubt the new version is going to hurt it. I have 2 different types. Below are pics of them side by side.

21o34f8.jpg

2rpe0p4.jpg

You could use either M-1 or Syntec 0W30 and not worry about a thing. Both are better than the 10W30 that was the factory fill and recommended PCMO's from 2005.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Gee that picture is clear as a bell Nick; what'd you take the picture with ?
Brand new iPhone 7+. It better take clear pictures, it sure did cost enough Lol!

Back