Do you trust a used-car OLM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MedicRxDoc
The LY7 in 08 Outlooks has had some issues with timing chain "stretch" although not nearly as bad as 07 models, such as my Acadia.

I don't know if 08 was part of the reprogramming of the OLM like mine was, but I think it still goes too long. Dirty oil has been cited as a contributing factor in chain issues.

I use my trip B to keep track of my interval in addition to the OLM. I keep about 5K miles which isn't more ham 70% of oil life used (OLM >30%).

The oil journals were later enlarged to give the chain more flow so I don't think length of change interval was the only issue.

Interesting.

I was under the impression the suspect components were the AWD and the transmission.

Outlook has 100k miles.

Planning a dump and fill tomorrow.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dlayman
One question I have about these is that they are designed to tell you when your oil is no longer "good enough". How do they define "good enough"? And in order for it to be safe to follow it, it would have to be based on the "lowest quality" oil that meets their oil spec. I doubt if they use a WPP oil that does meet the certifications and specs that you can buy at a convenience store. While I think OLM's are useful, I wouldn't go the full interval on a car I intended to keep for 300k miles.

While the algorithm used might be quite sophisticated, its utility depends on the two above variables.

And where it is operated. Still trying to find the dust sensor that lets the OLM know that I am primarily operating my vehicles on dusty gravel roads daily.

The position of dlayman is simply personal incredulity.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
And where it is operated. Still trying to find the dust sensor that lets the OLM know that I am primarily operating my vehicles on dusty gravel roads daily.

That's why you have an air filter.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
The position of dlayman is simply personal incredulity.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

That's why you have an air filter.

If you are getting dust in your engine I pity you. Engines can die quickly or slowly, imagine which one dusty is if your air filter is not good!

I thought in years past driving on dirt/dusty roads was considered severe service and called for shorter OCI's?

crackmeup2.gif

You'll all be happy to know I dumped it!

It came out a little thicker than I expected (and it was piping hot).

Trip meter B read 23xxx km's (so about 15k miles).

I guess that WAS the last time the oil was changed...
28.gif
grin.gif

5 liters of Quaker State (peak performance) dino 5w-30.
Half a liter of franken-mix dino + syn.(penn/cas/plat)

Pretty sure I got that Castrol jug for eight bucks seven years ago.
The oil filter was a Quaker State, on sale at Canadian Tire for five bucks plus tax.
35.gif

If it looks clean I'd leave it for a while, but not past 30% or so on the OLM. If dirty, change now. I don't change all fluids on a new acquisition, but I check all and change the engine oil unless it's speaky clean or a beater or is getting work soon that would warrant an oil change.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Come on now! This is an oil enthusiast board - we change the oil early and often and twice if in doubt.

Sometimes changing oil, can cause you to have to change your oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back