She didn't trust her movers. A single Apple AirTag proved she was right

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024

She didn't trust her movers. A single Apple AirTag proved she was right. AirTags are being used for all sorts of evil purposes. They're also proving to be very useful for many people.'​

For the record, I don't trust movers. Typically you have day laborers with addictions, often multiple felonies being trusted to pack, load, transport, unload and unpack your items. I move every two-three years and always do the move myself.

McNulty also knows that moving companies aren't universally reliable. It's not just that they can break things or lose things. It's that, well, they may not always deliver the facts in a way that's actually factual.

So McNulty slid an AirTag into one of her family's moving boxes containing her son's toys. They had a long way to go, from Fort Carson, Colorado to Fort Drum, New York.

You'll be stunned when I tell you the boxes didn't turn up on time. They were a month late. A promise of a Friday delivery became the promise of a Sunday delivery. You know how these things go.

The driver finally called McNulty and told her that he was just picking up her family's boxes in Colorado.

The call didn't go well. You see, McNulty had already checked the location of her AirTag. She knew it was in Elizabeth, New Jersey, not far from her new home.

"I made him aware that I knew he was only four hours away from us," she told the Military Times. "He called back several minutes later trying to bargain with me to see if he could deliver it on Sunday or Monday."

"Where was the driver?," you might ask. Allegedly seeing a lady friend, said McNulty.

Not one fiber of surprise in that post.
As stated, if ever there was a profession filled with disgruntled employees.......

As a comic said, when you move you ask friends' help moving your stuff.
When your friends move, you're helping move their $#it.

I had similar BS when I was moved during my military days....long ago.
Ditto, I had stuff that didn't make it to Germany when I arrived. Got a check and bought new stuff. I was a bachelor, so no big deal to me. New stereo gear to replace what didn't make the trip. Ended up being one less 220v to 110v transformer I needed.

Ditto, I had stuff that didn't make it to Germany when I arrived. Got a check and bought new stuff. I was a bachelor, so no big deal to me. New stereo gear to replace what didn't make the trip. Ended up being one less 220v to 110v transformer I needed.
Issue is the identification of missing/ damaged items, filing of the claim, fight with the adjuster. Becomes a major time drain.

Issue is the identification of missing/ damaged items, filing of the claim, fight with the adjuster. Becomes a major time drain.
I had an inventory signed by the origin movers with model and serial numbers.
I ended up mailing my computer back home to myself when I returned as I didn't want it to disappear in the same fashion. Cost me out of my pocket, but avoided that hassle.

My audio gear all made it to Ft Gordon. My final move was a DITY move, so I just got paid for doing it myself.

I wouldn't trust any company contracted with the military. She was wise to do this.

Loosely on-topic, but the YouTube Channel AngryCops posted a video a few days ago about some of the issues the military is having with their housing contractors. It's amazing what these companies have been able to get away with and steal from us.

I don't understand how people will let strangers pack their stuff. I pre pack everything and tape it shut. Movers basically load and unload boxes and furniture.
Would I be correct to assume that the movers don't accept liability for concealed damage under those circumstances?

Would I be correct to assume that the movers don't accept liability for concealed damage under those circumstances?
Not sure, I pack things pretty well and I take all of the valuables and important stuff with me anyway.

Train hits moving truck:

What I have found is the cost of the items moved are less in value than the cost of the moving van charge.

What I have found is the cost of the items moved are less in value than the cost of the moving van charge.
Maybe if you are moving across the country or overseas . Local moves have been worth every penny .

Back