Honda 1.5T & 0/20 spec...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I really have to go out and buy 0/20 when I have 5/20 in stock? 0/20..really? can anyone explain why?

I always thought that 0w20 protected your engine as well as 5w20 but this thread seems to say otherwise:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4205480/Re:_MC_0w20_syn-blend,_9500_mi#Post4205480

I'd probably stick with 0w20 in Wisconsin but not if I lived in Florida....

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Do I really have to go out and buy 0/20 when I have 5/20 in stock? 0/20..really? can anyone explain why?

I suspect this is Honda's way of making sure you use a full synthetic or synthetic blend, which are the only the only way they come. No harm would come from using a full or syn blend 5w-20, but why risk a warranty argument?

Go with your 5w.
I posted an Amsoil spec sheet for both and there wasn't a hoot of difference really!
I switch back and forth on new cars depending what I have.

I could do 5/20 Cito full synthetic for winter then 5/20 Citgo blend in spring then get a uoa and decide..that should be safe.

My Honda dealer only used 5w20 as standard and they offered as an option the 0w20 but it was an upcharge.
No big deal...... in warranty or out of it. Purely a bunch of nonsense.

that's what I figured...they might have the OLM computer set for full synthetic was another thought.

what bothers me on semi- synthetic is they never state what % is conventional.

This is the actual statement- it says recommended oil- not mandatory and it also says a suitable viscosity.
The door is wide open. yeah you wouldn't use a Dino 20w50 but the differences between 0w and 5w is hog spit.. lol
Of course the last paragraph throws another spin on things. I'd like to see a court case that was won by an auto maker on the theory 5w20 ruined their engine because they specified 0 w20............ And I would read the last paragraph carefully and don't use full synthetic and the bottom paragraph would not pertain to you- lol ( If you're are actually worried)

If it's a turbo motor I'd go full synthetic. Yes, I know there are motors out there that are turbo and tolerate conventional very well. But if it was me, I wouldn't like to find out if "my" turbo was one of them. Or was not one of them.

Originally Posted By: dblshock

Have to? No. (Said the guy who's been running 5W-30 weight oil in an '05 Civic Si spec'ed for 5W-20 since it came off the lot in Oct. of '04, and a 50/50 mix of 0W-20 and 5W-30 weight oil in three Accords for a decade, at least.) Why, you ask? Well, among other reasons, I do this to irritate those on this board who swear it's illegal, immoral or fattening. Mix brands, too.

Use up the 5W-20 that you already have then switch over. Minuscule difference IMO - I assume your 5W-20 is synthetic.

ya, Citgo synthetic blend 5/20, stocked up to the max before I bought this car at .50 cents a qt...have 6 qt. Citgo full synthetic at 1.00 per qt. too.

do you think the Honda brand filter is worth $6, I can go Quaker State white for $2 or Fram Ultra Syn for $8.50

I'll bet Honda set the OLM for full synthetic OCI's and 0/20 insures full synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back