Oil choice for winter OCI?

Good Morning folks. Brother was asking bout this last night. I recommended M1 5w30 or 040 since his Yukon and new to him 08’ Tahoe don’t spec DEXOS. I’m sending him some old Fram ultra’s also. I personally have used nothing but 5w20 where I live and no issues. Our temps aren’t real bad in winter; though Christmas 2022 we saw 3 days below 0

That wasn’t fun

If his oil pressure is good (it should have an actual gauge), a quality synthetic 5W20 shouldn’t hurt it. Some $10.45 clearance Edge Extended Performance 5W20 from AAP would be a good choice! Not sure about 0W, unless it’s going to be REALLY cold, like -10F or lower.

If his oil pressure is good (it should have an actual gauge), a quality synthetic 5W20 shouldn’t hurt it. Some $10.45 clearance Edge Extended Performance 5W20 from AAP would be a good choice! Not sure about 0W, unless it’s going to be REALLY cold, like -10F or lower.
How s are GM so he sticks with 30w

GM Recommends 5W30 for that vehicle.. I live in Delaware, right now it's about 20° I'm using 5W-20 in my Ford Edge which is the recommended weight, I might switch over to 5W30 when I change my oil in the spring. I use Mobil 1 Advanced.

Good Morning folks. Brother was asking bout this last night. I recommended M1 5w30 or 040 since his Yukon and new to him 08’ Tahoe don’t spec DEXOS. I’m sending him some old Fram ultra’s also. I personally have used nothing but 5w20 where I live and no issues. Our temps aren’t real bad in winter; though Christmas 2022 we saw 3 days below 0

That wasn’t fun
5w30 synthetic any quality oil will do. If it were preference mobil 1 or pennzoil platinum

If the in-law's odometer reads six digits, the Euro 0w40 (Wallys) would be my choice. Just don't be alarmed (like I was) when it comes out of the jug dark amber color.

As always with Wally's, check the cap to make sure it's sealed-shut. Every time I do a load of towels laundry, I wonder what's inside my Tide Free jug, cuz' it sure ain't Tide down in there.

Now I'm buying detergent sheets instead of liquid. So far - so good, when using one more Ecos Sheet than what's recommended.

Last edited:
5w-30 synthetic I use is is Havoline pro-ds in my engine,,i live in wis. where it gets very cold,,the pp is -51f on the oil used ,no problems with this oil year round

If the in-law's odometer reads six digits, the Euro 0w40 (Wallys) would be my choice. Just don't be alarmed (like I was) when it comes out of the jug dark amber color.

As always with Wally's, check the cap to make sure it's sealed-shut. Every time I do a load of towels laundry, I wonder what's inside my Tide Free jug, cuz' it sure ain't Tide down in there.

Now I'm buying detergent sheets instead of liquid. So far - so good, when using one more Ecos Sheet than what's recommended.
I feel like an invalid just reading this garbage post. Laundry, 6 digit odometer, and……

Totally useless reply. DO NORT COMMENT ON ANY MORE OF MY POSTS! Downright disgusting opinions I don’t want to and won’t hear.

Wait. What?

Sorry Adam
Just trying to alert you on Wally's tricks and they include more than just swapping oil in those jugs.
I only mentioned Wally because they are the only store (I know) that sell the Mobil-1 Euro 0w40 around here.

Last edited:
My 2001 ranger takes 5w30, but i currently am running 0w30 because winters in southeastern saskatchewan get extremely cold. It has been in the -25 to -40 degree celsius range the last couple of weeks.

I don't think the temperatures you are seeing would warrant a change from the factory recommended grade, other than going with a full synthetic version of it.

Sorry Adam
Just trying to alert you on Wally's tricks and they include more than just swapping oil in those jugs.
I only mentioned Wally because they are the only store (I know) that sell the Mobil-1 Euro 0w40 around here.
To be fair; I sometimes buy oil at my 2 Wal Maets. Never buy filters there as they refuse to stock a Blue ST 3614 or 3600 filter. I also have never heard of Wal Mart swapping oil jugs around. If I want M1 0w40, Rural King, O’Reilys and AAP and Autozone and my NAPA have it. May be location thing. .

This is the first I've heard of this, I've heard of this with shoes, oil filters, put more expensive wiper blades, in the cheap wiper blade package. But returning used oil to Walmart. And swapping oil within the jugs.. 😮😮😮 That is totally absurd..

Back