Can oil filter affect uoa data ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I just receive my 2nd uoa recently (link). Today, I noticed the iron count of this uoa was as the same as of the first one, even though the mileage was almost three times higher. If understand well about the engine wear, the iron count should follow with mileage, right?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4187278/UOA,_Pennzoil_Platinum_5W30,_1#Post4187278

So my question is, can an oil filter affect the uoa data ?

FYI, the oil filter was Mobil 1 EP
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...0KM#Post4168132

Last edited:
I would say no because of the size of particles the uoa machine flashes [probably not the proper term]

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
There was also significant fuel in the first sample that could have produced more wear. What was the previous oil and filter?

I don't recall. But it should be a Fram Xguard or Fram ultra.

Doubt it. Remember, the oil you use is far more important than the filter you use.

Last edited:
Wouldn't better filtration equal less wear metals in the oil? Something along the lines of a dual filter or Frantz filter? Having said that they aren't going to help much if the engine is dumping gas into the oil.

The reason why Blackstone found fuel in my first uoa was because I didn't follow the procedure. I had driven my car for only few minutes (went to buy some stuff in a convenience store) before changing my oil. But for the second sample, I had driven more than 30 minutes around the city.

This is my first uoa

nSXSH2y.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, but only if it blocks up or splits. I doubt if you will see the difference between using an Orange can of death or El-cheapo special and an OEM filter unless it does fail.

If you get a full particle count UOA done it might be possible to see a difference IF your driver style, useage, start temperatures and even fuel type are consistent.

I highly doubt it and Blackstone has said this on more than one occasion. Look at the UOA data from my retired 2010 Ford FX4, I switched from Motorcraft FL-820s filters which have/had an efficiency of 93.7% at 20um to FRAM Ultras which have an efficiency of 99.9% at 20um. For me, I see more of a change in insolubles between the oils and air filter versus the oil filter.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I highly doubt it and Blackstone has said this on more than one occasion. Look at the UOA data from my retired 2010 Ford FX4, I switched from Motorcraft FL-820s filters which have/had an efficiency of 93.7% at 20um to FRAM Ultras which have an efficiency of 99.9% at 20um. For me, I see more of a change in insolubles between the oils and air filter versus the oil filter.

Not sure if I read correctly but in your uoa data, the iron count is much higher with the FU then with the MC oil filter.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Wouldn't better filtration equal less wear metals in the oil? Something along the lines of a dual filter or Frantz filter? Having said that they aren't going to help much if the engine is dumping gas into the oil.

Only if the filter is removing damaging particles from the oil. The wear metals shown in an analysis are not causing wear, they are the result of wear.

The only way I see damaging wear particles getting in the oil is from the air intake.

As noted by others, Blackstone has said in the past as far as insolubles, they see no significant differences in any filters used with standard UOA results. I also agree that size of wear metals too small to show any significant differences among filters in UOA results. Even the Purolator filter tear anecdotes with UOA showed nothing remarkable in their results.

So my answer is no. Think the oil used and length of oci would be the main factors. As far as silicon, the air filter would be the main factor and that perhaps affecting other UOA wear metal results.

Originally Posted By: ST2008
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Not sure if I read correctly but in your uoa data, the iron count is much higher with the FU then with the MC oil filter.
Iron tracks higher with longer OCs and towing generates more Fe than not towing (there was towing in most of the UOAs, but not all) and this has nothing to do with the filter. It is the insolubles that are indicative (to a degree) of filter performance. With that said, the the average number of miles with the MC filters and MS5K was 7,484 with an average Fe of 11.6PPM or 0.0015499732763228ppm per mile VERSUS an average of 14,531 miles with MC/FU filters and M1 AFE with an average Fe of 16.5PPM or 0.0011355034065102ppm per mile. There is less Fe per mile with the longer OCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back