What Power Steering Fluid for a Jeep Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got into an interesting argument with someone over this on a large social media gathering (not facebook).

I recently put a automatic locking front differential in my Cherokee. They are "activated" by the pinion turning the ring gear and the ring gear making the carrier center pin push out on the inner part of the locker. So, any time there is power applied - forwards or backwards, the front two wheels are going to be locked.

On trails, when running in 4LO, obviously I have to turn tight but I am fighting this differential locker a lot. I try to avoid turning while sitting still, but it's still fighting a bit; it only wants to go straight.

With that said, the last few trips I have been on, I have experienced what I believe is the power steering overheating. The last trip, it started to overflow out of the reservoir and the pump was whining horribly and I lost power steering until I let it sit for 20 or so minutes. Then the pump was not whining and I had full power steering.

I have changed the power steering fluid a few times - just sucking out and replacing - since I have owned the Jeep. The fluid that originally came out was clear, and the fluid I put back in was power steering fluid.

I will be installing a power steering cooler this weekend. It's recommended by a lot of people when you have larger tires, a locker and air down the tires.

On this social media site, I was told to use power steering fluid instead of power steering fluid.

In the manual it clearly states to NOT use automatic transmission fluid. In an emergency, I have dumped AT fluid in one of these pumps on a Jeep and it was not happy and the power steering was extremely heavy. More recently, a friend changed his PS pump and put AT fluid in, and there was no power steering.

Furthermore, anything I find on Jeep forums (naxja, jeep forum) suggest that AT fluid is not correct.

I have found no evidence that the recommended MOPAR power steering fluid is an auto trans fluid.

What do you BITOG'ers think? I'm going to run actual power steering fluid in it unless I can find some evidence to the contrary.

I use MaxLife ATF in my 87 Jeep Cherokee. I've added a small cooler, and I've had no problems with this set up. 148k miles, and I've owned my Jeep since 11/86. I've always used ATF, but went to Maxlife in the last 7 years or so. Not sure of the difference between 87 and 2000 pumps, but most guys on NAXJA say fluid type doesn't matter on the Cherokee pumps.

Last edited:
The cooler is a good idea. If you can find the power steering fluid approved for Honda (I forget the actual spec) it is fantastic stuff and meets a tighter spec than Chrysler demands (the Chrysler spec should be on there as well) I use that. O'Reilly's has a house brand that meets it but it is still around 7 bucks a quart but worth it.

Auto lockers suck in a front axle. I would NOT use ATF in your power steering for that year Jeep. It's not the correct fluid.

Easy decision here.

Service Bulletin 19-005-03 updated the recommendations for many models, but the XJ isn't included.

It still gets 5931 fluid. MaxLife Power Steering Fluid (NOT ATF) is available locally at a good price, and meets this specification - I use it in tough applications, and have been very pleased with the performance, especially at such a price point.

I'll emphasize to stop with the turkey-baster nonsense; do a complete fluid exchange, and be done with it.

Since the low pressure line has to come off for the cooler I'm sure it will get a complete fluid exchange. Getting it to bleed out is going to be a major pain but nothing I can't handle.

I think I will definitely stick to power steering fluid. I didn't see anything for power steering fluid at WalMart tonight - they have been real strange on fluids in stock - so I will look for the Honda ATF that meets Chrysler or Maxlife PS Fluid.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Put power steering fluid in it.

The FSM states the pump is not designed to run ATF.

Exactly my thoughts! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Auto lockers suck in a front axle. I would NOT use ATF in your power steering for that year Jeep. It's not the correct fluid.

Right...later years used the ATF+4 but that year...not so much. AND get the synthetic variety (if it exists) as it should resist the heat better.

You might be better off with an Eaton trutrack, it would allow turns but dig in when you needed it:

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Vehicle/Differentials/detroit-truetrac/index.htm

Last edited:
Add a power steering cooler or a tranny cooler (plumbed into the power steering return hose). There's room in front of the condenser, my brother just put a tranny cooler in his 91'.

Add a switch to the existing electric fan and flip it on when you hit the trails, then when the switch is off and you daily drive it, it will still come on as needed. Or would the fan still come on if you ran it on A/C but pulled the compressor relay? That's if you didn't want to run the A/C.

Power Steering cooler

Tranny cooler

Anytime I have dealt with a vehicle that tended to leave its cap area a bit wet, I have installed a transmission cooler as a power steering cooler. Pumps that are designed to give large assist at lower rpms are always a real heat monster at higher rpms and loads.

Result? After a real beating, I can dip my bare finger into the power steering reservoir.

I would assume it'd need the Chrysler MS-5931 approval. Valvoline, Maxlife (synthetic blend) and a few parts store brands carry this approval. Redline PSF is the only approved synthetic I can think of off the top of my head. I would personally go for the Maxlife with the stop-leak.

I believe only later model TJ's made the PSF to ATF+4 switch?

What size cooler are you looking for? Go find yourself a V8 WJ in the junkyard and pull the PS cooler. It'll have a nice mounting bracket too.

Also, does your XJ have a mechanical fan? My dad's MJ has both an electric and a mechanical.. I am just not sure what later XJ's came with.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Anytime I have dealt with a vehicle that tended to leave its cap area a bit wet, I have installed a transmission cooler as a power steering cooler. Pumps that are designed to give large assist at lower rpms are always a real heat monster at higher rpms and loads.

Result? After a real beating, I can dip my bare finger into the power steering reservoir.

This means the PS system is overheating? On an unrelated note, the last couple times I checked the PSF in her Volvo its been wet around the cap. It isnt over-filled (at the cold mark) and I am using the correct pricey Pentosin CHF-11s fluid. I'll have to make an effort to check the level while hot just to be sure.

She isnt doing any rock crawling or demanding driving either which is interesting..
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger

Right...later years used the ATF+4 but that year...not so much. AND get the synthetic variety (if it exists) as it should resist the heat better.

You might be better off with an Eaton trutrack, it would allow turns but dig in when you needed it:

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Vehicle/Differentials/detroit-truetrac/index.htm

If I have to have an auto locker, I prefer it in the front. Once I put it in 2hi, or even when I am off the gas, it will turn no problem. Changing to something with it's own carrier would be nice - but only when I regear the Jeep. I don't want to spend the money to get the ring and pinion set up again just to have factory 3.55 gears.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Add a power steering cooler or a tranny cooler (plumbed into the power steering return hose). There's room in front of the condenser, my brother just put a tranny cooler in his 91'.

Add a switch to the existing electric fan and flip it on when you hit the trails, then when the switch is off and you daily drive it, it will still come on as needed. Or would the fan still come on if you ran it on A/C but pulled the compressor relay? That's if you didn't want to run the A/C.

Power Steering cooler

Tranny cooler

I bought a small cooler for it. Will be putting it on either tonight or tomorrow.

A few years back I wired in a dummy relay for the electric fan and added a switch to it. 2000/2001 Cherokees won't turn on the electric fan with the A/C - only when the engine hits 218 degrees. I already have a large transmission cooler infront of the mechanical fan.

I am currently running the 4 cylinder fan clutch in it. Last off road trip I don't think I even hit 215 - and that is without the electric fan kicking on. It just runs around 200 most of the time.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I would assume it'd need the Chrysler MS-5931 approval. Valvoline, Maxlife (synthetic blend) and a few parts store brands carry this approval. Redline PSF is the only approved synthetic I can think of off the top of my head. I would personally go for the Maxlife with the stop-leak.

I believe only later model TJ's made the PSF to ATF+4 switch?

What size cooler are you looking for? Go find yourself a V8 WJ in the junkyard and pull the PS cooler. It'll have a nice mounting bracket too.

Also, does your XJ have a mechanical fan? My dad's MJ has both an electric and a mechanical.. I am just not sure what later XJ's came with.

I bought a cheap tube and fin style for it. Eventually - once all of the trips are done for the summer, I would like to put on a V8 WJ towing package pump ... from the one that has the hydraulic fan. Those pumps can move a massive amount of fluid.

The 04+ TJs use transmission fluid but use a different pump.

This one has the mechanical fan on the right and electric fan on the left. For which I have added a switch.

This means the PS system is overheating? On an unrelated note, the last couple times I checked the PSF in her Volvo its been wet around the cap. It isnt over-filled (at the cold mark) and I am using the correct pricey Pentosin CHF-11s fluid. I'll have to make an effort to check the level while hot just to be sure.

She isnt doing any rock crawling or demanding driving either which is interesting..
21.gif

Either over heating or over filled. You said it's not over filled ... It could be overheating a bit.

I'm sure the WJ pump would work, but I believe that uses a different hydraulic fluid completely. I want to say Mopar only. Just for future reference.

Yep - that pump uses a very specific fluid. Which is fine.

I'm glad I am sticking to my decision to only use power steering fluid in my current pump. I mean, I have enough AT fluid around to do it for "free" ... but don't want to use the wrong fluid

Yeah I'd stick with whatever fluid the manual specs. I'd rather spend the extra bucks and go wheeling then have to waste time trying to find a decent replacement pump and then swap out the old one.

Your beating it on the trails and as you guessed heat is the real issue. I had the same problem with a ZJ, reservoir weeped when working the wheel all day on the rocks, much like you the front Dana30 had a lunchbox locker. It was a '94 so it used AT fluid. I actually just pulled another auxiliary trans cooler from a junkyard ZJ that had the tow package and used that. I put a magnefine downstream of it in case the cooler had any debris. No weeping since then.

I bypass the cooler during winter though as the cooler circuit makes the steering really firm on cold days.

Good luck.

21.gif

If not over filled, or suffering from a bad cap, then it probably is getting pretty hot.

"Overheating" is a different term with power steering systems. They can run at 280F and be perfectly happy forever. Does not stop the fluid from expanding beyond the containment of the reservoir, however.

Also may not stop the fluid from heat oxidation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back