WIX 51040 5500mi, 3+yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
To the Nay Sayers: Filters don't care how long (years) they run in the engine.
For example:

This little fella was in my Beretta for a total of 5500mi and just over 3yrs (02/13 installed)
Pleats are stiff and strong, spring back into shape, the wavy ones too. ADBV was holding back oil until the filter was cut, matter of fact I had to peal it off the base plate. That was the seam side,and the rest of the filter looks the same. No tears, not a thing to report other than I over loaded it. The large grit can be seen everywhere, and the cold oil pressure is now 78psi vs 60-65 @ 3K rpm.
The first 3K mi was 5w30 Chevron supreme, and the 2.5K mi was Castrol A3/B4 0w40. The castrol is still in there, I just changed the filter while I had the car up to replace a dead ignition control board.
In went a 1036 napa gold, and topped off with a qt of M1 5w30. Unless the oil pressure starts to dip again, I will run this filter out to the end of the 15k oci.

Thank you for cutting and posting
smile.gif

Why did you go with the 1036 this time? Is that an upsize version of the 1040?

And for extended drains multiple years and 15k, you should consider the Platinum/XP
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

And for extended drains multiple years and 15k, you should consider the Platinum/XP
smile.gif

I would run a NAPA Gold for 15k. It would filter better than a "XP".

Last edited:
smile.gif

smile.gif

Yes 1036 is the PF52 vs PF47 that it calls for, and with the filter plugging up the way it did, the extra surface area should especially come in handy. The extra oil won't hurt either.

I ran wix/napaG 10K+ with no visible distortion.
XP/Plat efficiency is almost half that of the standard wix.

Quote:
ADBV was holding back oil until the filter was cut, matter of fact I had to peal it off the base plate.

That doesn't sound good to me--I have never found an ADBV stuck to the baseplate. And, that's lots of crud for a 5500 mile OCI! My bottom line would be if you're seeing a dip in oil pressure something is wrong. It may take a few shorter OCIs with synthetic oil to clean that engine up.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
To the Nay Sayers: Filters don't usually care how long (years) they run in the engine, but there could be operating or design issues that preclude using a filter for longer periods of time.
Fixed it for you. I do not see this as a defacto blanket statement because there are too many variables in type of use and vehicle type. One engine may be able to go 3 years on an OC and another may need an OC/FC in 6 months.

Yeahh I call bull lol I posted a fleetguard not long ago off of a 5.9 12v was on the truck 3 years and the syn media was flaking apart when I cut it

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
smile.gif

smile.gif

Who knows? Due to the fact Wix is currently stating the standard Wix filter is 50% at 20 microns. http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=654260.

I doubt either Wix filter is 50% at 20 microns.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
smile.gif

smile.gif

Who knows? Due to the fact Wix is currently stating the standard Wix filter is 50% at 20 microns. http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=654260.

The beta ratio on the 654260 from the link you provided says:

Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20

Which means: 50% @ 6 microns and 95% @ 20 microns.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Quote:
ADBV was holding back oil until the filter was cut, matter of fact I had to peal it off the base plate.

That doesn't sound good to me--I have never found an ADBV stuck to the baseplate. And, that's lots of crud for a 5500 mile OCI! My bottom line would be if you're seeing a dip in oil pressure something is wrong. It may take a few shorter OCIs with synthetic oil to clean that engine up.

ADBV is flawless. The oil film between the valve and base plate had static effect is all, no doom and gloom here. The dip happened some time when sending unit failed, and by the time replaced, I just blamed it on the unit, until now.

I'm not cleaning anything in this engine, well I obviously am, but by side effect of good oil. This is a beater, and I plan to run in with minimal maintenance.

As for xp someone, I think here, said they had it tested, and the media was in fact superior. The assembly was the fault of the poor efficiency.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

I'd suggest reading up on beta ratios. I think you missed this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back