Evans waterless coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone running the Evans waterless coolant?

Reading lots of things well..... basically it makes some engines run hotter. Fans staying on all the time or need reprogrammed . Need to pull spark advance way back so it doesn't knock from extra cylinder head temps = less power. Some people report no need to mess with timing. Some get the same mileage. Others say they run between 235F and 250F with no other issues. I've seen ONE guy say his 1000hp engine (yeah right ) runs at 210F all day long in Arizona I think it was??

Long story short, this obviously wasn't made for today's engines or older engines. Or was it?

slomo

The question should why isn't everyone using it if it is supposed to be so good? A thing to consider is if something is so good the operators of the expensive commercial vehicles would be running it. For example most all if not all new semi trucks come with syn oil in the differentials and trans. The engines come with conventional oils.

WATER is the absolute best at cooling so if you take the water out... I'm no Phd but it makes sense that the stuff is overhyped [censored]!

Water/conventional coolant works, has worked forever, why change it?

A friend whose mechanical and engineering acumen I respect ran Evans in several vehicles for years with no issues whatsoever.

If the cooling system is in good shape and if the engine doesn't have a quirk that generates unusually extreme hot-spots around the combustion chamber, it works great. The benefits are a far lower system operating pressure, longer coolant life, better water pump seal lubrication, etc. etc.

But thermodynamics still applies- it has a lower heat capacity than water, so water and 50/50 mix coolants can band-aid cooling systems that have design weaknesses.

It WOULD be far more common if there weren't such an infrastructure for 50/50 mix coolants already in place. To me, the biggest argument against it is that someone (a jiffy lube place, most likely) will top it off with water and screw things up. That, and the fact that if you blow a hose (which is far less likely with Evans because of the low pressure) and don't have access to evans, you have to use water in the emergency and then go back to the water removal process all over again.

It has benefits, but IMO they're just too small to make it worth it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: racin4ds
WATER is the absolute best at cooling so if you take the water out... I'm no Phd but it makes sense that the stuff is overhyped [censored]!

To get rid of the water which leads to corrosion at one point or another. Replacing radiators and heater cores......

slomo

I used it in my Charger years ago. The seriously high boiling point is a big plus, but the problem is that Evans NPG will take on water, which lowers the boiling point substantially, and reintroduces the corrosion issue.

There is just no way to keep the water out.

It is not the good or bad performance but regular coolant works good enough. The Evans with the o pressure cooling system is something to consider but why?

Originally Posted By: slomo
Originally Posted By: racin4ds

To get rid of the water which leads to corrosion at one point or another. Replacing radiators and heater cores......

slomo

Change the coolant on a reasonable schedule and you won't get any corrosion.
heatercore.jpg

90k mile heater core in a 2004 Crown Vic. As you can see, its in 'as new' condition.
I completely flushed the coolant in '09 due to hitting the 5 year part of the 5/100k coolant schedule and I did a drain and fill of the radiator again in '12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back