A new Ruger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a new Ruger LC-9S "PRO" at my local gun shop this afternoon. Pretty spiffy little shooter with a very much needed improved trigger pull as compared to the LC-9. It isn't a replacement for any of my "SR" series, but an addition. Anybody else got one? How do you like it?

Nice! Always been partial to Ruger. I just can't part with my Mark III even though I rarely shoot it.

I had an early LC-9. Loved its size and conceal-ability...however, the trigger...and it was hammer fired. But I know your gun fixed all that. Sounds like a fine pistol. I'm always a Ruger fan.

I've owned a LC9 and sold it because of the terrible trigger. Currently own a LC9s - MUCH better trigger and is a keeper. Really like the way the LC9 is smoothed as compared to the XDs's more squared shape.

I almost got one the other day but decided on the M&P Shield 9 mm instead. It was only $399 at Budsgunshop and came with two mags

The Ruger lc9s pro was my second choice but it didn't feel as good in my hand.

I have a LCP with a long trigger pull. But I actually love the trigger pull. It makes trigger control very easy.

If I ever get another 9mm it will be the plain 'ol LC9

Shot the lc9 and couldnt hit the broad sign of a barn. Shot the LC9S and could not believe the difference that new striker fired trigger made. Very nice gun, very good shooter. I have a Glock 22 and a 9mm Smith and Wesson shield for CC and love it. However, the best shooting gun I have shot in a long time from the factory is the Ruger SR9C. I will admit, I have been a Glock man and I snubbed my nose at it, but when I shot it, I fell in LOVE. The break and reset on the trigger, the feel in the hand, how fast I could get back on target, and zero malfunctions. That will be my next purchase

The Pro loses the manual safety and mag disco and keeps the Glock trigger safety? Sounds like a proper SD handgun. Haven't shot one but would like to. I like Ruger but just haven't been able to commit to their centerfire handguns, always something not quite right.

The LC9s was top of my list until I dry fired it at a local gun shop. The trigger was just too light for my intended purpose, which is concealed carry for personal defense without a safety. If I ever have to use my CCW for self defense it will be at less than 10 feet and the trigger will be an afterthought.

I prefer the safety of a long DAO trigger pull with no manual safety for carry, so I went with a 9mm SCCY CPX-2. It's a little smaller and lighter with a 10+1 capacity and a long but butter smooth 9 lb pull, has a life-of-the-gun warranty, and costs only $265. Definitely not a range gun but ideal for me for short range defense. For range use and home defense I have a CZ 75 BD - fabulous pistol!

Tom NJ

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
The LC9s was top of my list until I dry fired it at a local gun shop. The trigger was just too light for my intended purpose, which is concealed carry for personal defense without a safety. If I ever have to use my CCW for self defense it will be at less than 10 feet and the trigger will be an afterthought.

I prefer the safety of a long DAO trigger pull with no manual safety for carry, so I went with a 9mm SCCY CPX-2. It's a little smaller and lighter with a 10+1 capacity and a long but butter smooth 9 lb pull, has a life-of-the-gun warranty, and costs only $265. Definitely not a range gun but ideal for me for short range defense. For range use and home defense I have a CZ 75 BD - fabulous pistol!

Tom NJ

LC9s has the safety (2) and the LC9sPro does not. Personally I learned semi auto handguns on a Browning Hi Power 9mm so I am brainwashed on a pistol with a safety. So all of my semi auto weapons have a safety. Plus my 2nd amendment attorney recommended having a carry weapon with a safety.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog

Plus my 2nd amendment attorney recommended having a carry weapon with a safety.

Could you explain why? To prevent unintentional discharge? Good thought, but, if it's possible to pull the trigger when you don't intend to under extreme stress is it also possible to forget to release a manual safety when you really need to fire?

I'd like to think that, with practice, I can ingrain manual safety release to an involuntary muscle reaction. But then I have never been in an up-close deadly confrontation and I just cannot predict how I would react in such an intensely emotional panic. The safer route, in my opinion, is to carry a gun that goes bang when you pull the trigger, period, without having to remember to do something else first.

There are lots of conflicting opinions on this subject, and to each his own; I just feel my odds are better in a panic with a DAO trigger and no manual safety. Couldn't care less how tight my groups are at 25 yards with a CCW, when it comes to self defense just go bang when I tell you to, and carry enough rounds to get me through.

Tom NJ

Well I have seen cases where mindless drone juries GASPED at the thought that the person carried one of those cop killing dangerous guns that doesn't even have a safety.

Most people think that all guns come with a safety.

My LCP .380 is two months old and I really like it. I put a Talon grip on it - painted the front sight with white fingernail polish - bought a longer 7-round magazine and shoot lightweight 56 grain Ruger ARX poly bullets in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back