Toyota and BMW in bed on next Supra/Z4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/..._content=title2

I'm just having a really hard time imagining this.

The result of Toyota being too lazy to build their own twin turbo inline 6, and BMW being too lazy to build their own hydrid drivetrain?
21.gif

I think either party will get what they need and saving few hundreds millions over developing cost is the bonus.

The volume of either Supra and Z4 isn't very high, spending billions in development/engineering doesn't make sense for either company.

Will be interesting to see whether the thing runs TGMO...

How will Toyota convince BMW to design their engine around the Unicorn ?

While I agree, it's been stated that the Subaru engine in the 86 was designed around TGMO, so I'm wondering how influential the Toyota engineers really are in these alliances.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I think either party will get what they need and saving few hundreds millions over developing cost is the bonus.

The volume of either Supra and Z4 isn't very high, spending billions in development/engineering doesn't make sense for either company.

Given the money disposed into the I8 and LF-A programs, I'd hardly call either company thrifty when it comes to R&D costs for low production cars.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

The result of Toyota being too lazy to build their own twin turbo inline 6, and BMW being too lazy to build their own hydrid drivetrain?
21.gif

What's the difference between "being too lazy" and "recognizing that the other company could be a valuable partner who would bring technologies and expertise that wouldn't make financial sense to develop yourself"?

I think most likely it will run BMW LL01 or whatever current BMW oil spec which is A3/B4 at the minimum.

Quote:
Jointly developed by Toyota and BMW, this sports car is likely to come with a BMW engine and chassis mated to some sort of Toyota hybrid system.

Dunno. Looks like to me BMW wants to use some Toyota patents and parts.

Now, will it be a CVT-esque transmission? Or will it be something a step up? The Prius transmission is a glorified differential: instead of splitting, it is a combiner. Might they sum ICE and electric motor, then feed a 22 speed automated manual DSG transmission? I'm not sure if this vehicle would want to deal with short-burst nature of batteries. Not unless if the regenerative braking is that aggressive?

+1.

Given what the last US market Supra was, I have no concerns with Toyota being in the mix... Assuming it ends up something like a Porsche 918.

Though my traditional view has been that Toyota/Daimler and BMW/Honda might be better mixes...

Who will "build" it? The success will depend upon that!

What is that joke where "all the cooks are british ...

Heaven Is Where:

The French are the chefs
The Italians are the lovers
The British are the police
The Germans are the mechanics
And the Swiss make everything run on time

[censored] is Where:

The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

21.gif

"lazy"? How about economics. Reinventing the wheel is expensive. GM and Ford used to buy their 4WD pickup transfer cases and associated parts from Chrysler. Volvo bought rear axle assemblies from Dana in the US. SAAB used GM power steering pumps in the 79 to 92 900s. When GM bought them and put the slow kiss of death on the brand they switched to ZF pumps. (Lol)

Last edited:
Or the result of going with your relative strengths.

As others have said, it will be a low volume car, so why not leverage one anothers strengths to get it done.

21.gif

I think most likely it will run BMW LL01 or whatever current BMW oil spec which is A3/B4 at the minimum.

BMW Longlife-14 FE+" (LL-14 FE+)
might be used. 2.6 HTHS, TGMO qualifies there. Change more often, assume TGMO doesn't make deposits, we are Good-2-Go with T-G-M-O ... (their next ad campaign jingle...)

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
I hope they don't use a BMW in engine in the next Supra.

They are using BMW diesels in Toyotas already.

+1

Oh great looks like yet ANOTHER overweight coupe from BMW......

How about lean and mean? A little bigger and more powerful than an s2000

Like an acura NSX ..... cmon peeps

We don't need a 5000Lb car that makes up for that weight with 600HP....

How about 2500Lb and 350hp

Last edited:
If they DO use a BMW engine I pray that they leave plenty of room around it to replace all the plastic ancillaries that will inevitably leak, get noisy, fail or disintegrate post warranty.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
If they DO use a BMW engine I pray that they leave plenty of room around it to replace all the plastic ancillaries that will inevitably leak, get noisy, fail or disintegrate post warranty.

It's not that big of a deal, actually. The most vulnerable are the cooling system components. Maybe the VANOS, too.

In any case, Z4 has plenty of room under the hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back