using 0w40 in stuff that doesn't need it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My titan with its DOHC 32 valve heads and associated multi feet of cam chains, shear oil down fast (according to studying years of blackstone and other UOA reports on the titan)

Starting with 0w40 -I'll end up with 0w30 something right away anyway, in a vehicle that has a majority of towing duty that bit of extra protection can't hurt the longevity of the associated parts.

Unlike the guys at Fastlane Truck that "benchmark towing" on the ike gauntlet, my gauntlet is the Davis Dam run - the standard for the J2807 test.

You don't get nice cool incoming air - you get brutal 110+ inlet air. This pushes not only the trucks but their oil to the limit and beyond.

M1's 0W40 is oft criticized for being a thin 40 to begin with.

A standard Bitog myth is that youll wear out your vehicle before the engine- in your car probably, 1/2 ton truck working at its limit in a desert environment I disagree.

I can state that for 1/2 ton trucks towing in the above environment that is absolutely not the case. Guys are popping engines on the boat forums and flat wearing them out in 10 years or less. Thinner isn't always better.

UD

I'm considering running Amsoil 0w40 in my GMC 4.3 at the next change. I do some towing that really works the v6 so the slightly thicker viscosity makes sense.

I use it in all the vehicles listed below except the 89 Prelude and the IS350. Sure seems to make engines quieter.

Originally Posted By: Tundragod
Wow, lots of Lexuses!

The plural is Lexi
grin2.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YllyBr_4Kxk

Used it in my 02 Explorer with the 4.6 V8 and it made all kinds of noise in an otherwise, very quiet engine. Had the same results in my 5.4 Ford Truck, very noisy. Of course this has been the case with ANY M1 product I have used. Motorcraft or Pennzoil is quiet as a mouse and stays that way
smile.gif

NOT Placebo and not just my ears! Even the somewhat oblivious wife can hear the difference between M1 and other oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back