IBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
All my wife's had to eat since Sunday is a pop tart and a malt, and both went through her immediately. At first we thought is was IBS, and it may be, but she also said she hasn't really been hungry much that entire time. I'm wondering if it's some type of decease or virus.

Originally Posted By: grampi
All my wife's had to eat since Sunday is a pop tart and a malt, and both went through her immediately. At first we thought is was IBS, and it may be, but she also said she hasn't really been hungry much that entire time. I'm wondering if it's some type of decease or virus.

What you've provided is not nearly enough info, and is equivalent to saying: "my wife has a check engine light - what could it be?"

By your name, I'm assuming you and your wife have had your share of viruses, colds, etc. Is this similar to any of those times? Have you consulted a doctor?

If MDW, was off her feed, I would be yelling at her to see a doctor. Yrs ago, I caught giardia, a stomach bug, that after a couple of weeks wasn't allowing me to keep anything in but ginger ale and saltines. It took a stool sample to find it. I forget the pill, but in a couple of days I was back to normal.

Hard to tell, but she needs to visit a doctor.

Something like Imodium AD might help, and she needs to stay hydrated. Some doctors recommend eating/drinking clear broth until the symptoms go away, and then slowly add solid foods. I would try that this weekend, but schedule a Dr appt on Monday.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy

Something like Imodium AD might help, and she needs to stay hydrated. Some doctors recommend eating/drinking clear broth until the symptoms go away, and then slowly add solid foods. I would try that this weekend, but schedule a Dr appt on Monday.

Good advice!

you're letting this go way too long.you know the drill -- you'll hear about 8 different opinions, and most will be wrong.you should have taken her to a doc, 2 or 3 days ago.don't "wonder" about it, take her to see a doc, asap, as it could be something serious. good luck.

Rather than sit around posting about it on an Internet forum, perhaps you should consider getting your wife some professional help.

I'm wondering if it's some type of decease or virus.

I hope you meant "disease" and not "decease".

You don't just get IBS all of a sudden. I've had IBS for 30 years.

I'm mot one to run to doctors but after a week of stomach issues, it might be a good idea to see a doctor.

Its also good to take a probiotic. Try feeding things like bread and rice. They help absorb water in the intestinal tract as well.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy

You do not want to take something like Immodium until you know what you are treating. Your body gets rid of toxins and stopping the diarrhea can be dangerous. Staying hydrated and electrolytes in balance is number 1 priority. Getting some professional help for her sounds like a good idea.

So she hasn't really eaten in almost a week? You need to get her into a doctor immediately, and get her to eat something. The body needs something to run on.

I don't think the BITOG oil board is going to help as much as a doctor.
I mean a flush with soy formula FP20, run for a week and check back isn't cutting it.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
So she hasn't really eaten in almost a week? You need to get her into a doctor immediately, and get her to eat something. The body needs something to run on.

This.

My mother last year must have caught a bad stomach bug, but would not clear up. She could not eat or hardly take in fluids for over a week. It almost killed her. Come to find out it she had colitis for years and this stomach bug made it flare up bad, she would periodically have stomach issues, but never thought much of it. Turns our her years of smoking somehow calmed the symptoms. Now they have her on daily medications.

That said, get her checked out ASAP! If they want to do a scope or partial colonoscopy, do it! That was the only way they found my mothers issues. Had she refused, she would not be here today.

Try some Canada Dry Ginger Ale. A few years ago I couldn't even keep water down. Either I was throwing up or had diarrhea sometimes simultaneous. So I couldn't go to the store and get some pink Pepto. I think it was bad chicken from the prior day.

Originally Posted By: yeti

you're letting this go way too long. take her to see a doc, asap, as it could be something serious. good luck.

Unfortunately its Sat. She needed this looked at after a few days. The good news is there doesn't appear to be blockage. Hopefully there wasn't blood in the stool?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Rather than sit around posting about it on an Internet forum, perhaps you should consider getting your wife some professional help.

I'm wondering if it's some type of decease or virus.

I hope you meant "disease" and not "decease".

+1 to both, particularly if she's having a hard time staying hydrated. I can't fathom why a pop tart and a malt would be smart choices though. My parents always said black tea and toast.

Having a youngster, many, many friends with young kids, and a wife who works with children, I do know that "the stomach bug" (a non-descript term) is worse this year than others.

I've been through something like this before.

She's had a pop tart and a malt because you lose all desire for traditional foods. Then you see something like a malt or a pop tart that has emotional appetite stimulation and you're so glad you actually want to eat something that you do it.

For me it was sweet potato pie, fries, and bacon. Show me a regular food, and it was like looking at a pile of bathroom tiles on a plate.

I would say more likely than not that what she has is not life threatening.

In my case, it was a mind over matter issue. Stress had gotten the better of me without even knowing I was under stress. Didn't want to eat anything, and when I did it would be like that alien exploding out of dude's chest in Alien.

She needs a doctor, and on your end, examine what her life has been like recently. You never know. Can't hurt. Regardless of whether or not a doctor is involved, the doctor will likely ask these questions anyway, so it helps to be prepared to answer them as accurately and completely as possible.

For now, follow the basics of human health. Make sure she stays hydrated and is resting as much as possible. But get to a doctor ASAP.

DO NOT hesitate to go to the emergency room if things start to get real hinky. I lost and uncle to " no we don't need the emergency room, it will be fine" and nearly lost my left eye surrendering to the same foolishness. Not saying it is or will get that serious, but simple problems can spiral out of control in minutes.

Best wishes to her, and you'll both be in my prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back