Long Term Storage Rifle Option: AR15 vs AK47

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Last I looked, you can buy the 7.62x39 for about 50% less than 5.56 too so you might pay a bit more for the AK47, but see immediate savings in ammunition.
There's really little price difference between cheap x39 and cheap .223.

There are a LOT of different AKs out there and the finish on the metal could be blued, phosphate, or phosphated under paint.

You really wouldn't want to leave a blued finish for 10 years without oiling or applying some type of protective coating (cosmoline-like). A painted AK would be fine, however.

Also, and most importantly, what are the storage conditions? If it's dry enough, you can store either of them forever without any concern for rust.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: billt460
Whichever you purchase, just be sure it has a Chrome lined bore.

Many AR-15's and some AK47's are coming with Nitride/Melonite (same basic thing) barrels. This is more durable than chrome and more corrosion resistant. They dunk the whole barrel in the treatment solution so the inside/outside of the barrel is treated. On a chrome lined barrel, only the bore is coated.

+1 Melonited barrels are going to be highly corrosion resistant. In ARs you can also have bcgs and trigger groups with the treatment. NiB coated control groups are also corrosion resistant.

The extensive use of anodized aluminum in the AR platforms makes them naturally a bit more corrosion resistant. However, there are ample examples of rusty and beat to hades AK's in the third world still running.

I live in a humid climate and have both guns in my safe. I spray them down with a good heavy coat of rem oil after shooting them. Sometimes they sit for a year and they never have an ounce of rust. If you are good at maintaining your guns with a good CLP type product you wont have an issue.

I have plenty of blued steel, non chrome lined guns in my safe that get the same care and never rust.

As for stainless barrels, it should be said that they wear a little more quickly and in a SHTF scenario they do not take the abuse of rapid firing as well. The alloy while corrosion resistant is not quite as durable.

I have both and spray them with G96 gun treatment liberally, wipe with a cloth and put away. Never an issue. Any of the newer gun CLP protectants cling on to metal and prevent corrosion. I have used G96 for years in severe outdoor weather and never had any corrosion. So, all of my firearms get soaked with G96 when new. Makes cleaning easier as well.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Last I looked, you can buy the 7.62x39 for about 50% less than 5.56 too so you might pay a bit more for the AK47, but see immediate savings in ammunition.
There's really little price difference between cheap x39 and cheap .223.

I get 7.65x39 for .23/cartridge in bulk vs .223 for .29

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Hi, I am looking to purchase a rifle for infrequent range outings and have a few questions. I am looking for either an AR15 or an AK47, I plan on shooting it a few times a year max and otherwise it will stay locked in the gun cabinet. From a resisting corrosion and requiring minimal maintenance/parts replacement, which of these two options would work for a 10+ year shelf life.
Thanks!

One thing...if you do get an imported AK and want to change any parts on it be sure to make sure you make it 922r compliant.

http://www.tapco.com/products/ak/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=22

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

Last edited:
A stainless barrel AR15 with a hard chrome bolt, a hard anodized billet lower reciever and a few aftermarket tweaks is going to be about the most corrosion resistant configuration.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: totegoat
I wouldn't buy an AK. They have a bad stigma.

And what would that be?

The same people who would judge you for owning an AK, are likely anti gun and would also judge you for owning any "assault rifle"

AK's have killed too many Americans. They are carried by thugs around the world.

Buy a made in the USA AR and be proud.

They both have advantages and disadvantages . Pick which ever one you would want and have at it. IMHO the AR and AK are the best rifles of their types ever made. Low cost, reliable and they last. ARs are simple to repair and you can stock up on wear items for not much money
http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15-05.html

AK's have killed too many Americans. They are carried by thugs around the world.

Buy a made in the USA AR and be proud.
Motor vehicles have killed even more Americans than the Kalashnikov should I not buy a Ford or Chevrolet?

AK's have killed too many Americans. They are carried by thugs around the world. Buy a made in the USA AR and be proud.

I own several of each. I'm "proud" to own them all. Every make of gun on the planet has been "carried by a thug" at one time or another. Just as every make car has been driven drunk by someone at one time or another. And every prescription pain killer has been abused by someone. What does that have to do with anything?

Carry communist if you want, I won't.

Not a crime to disagree with another American on equipment......is it?

Nor is it a crime to call someone out on their flawed logic. There are many USA made AK's or AK's made in nations friendly to the USA.

Last I saw from ISIS propaganda photos, there are an awful lot of AR platform rifles being posed with. Never judge a tool by the person who yields it. If you do, you are rather myopic.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Nor is it a crime to call someone out on their flawed logic. There are many USA made AK's or AK's made in nations friendly to the USA.

Last I saw from ISIS propaganda photos, there are an awful lot of AR platform rifles being posed with. Never judge a tool by the person who yields it. If you do, you are rather myopic.

At any time there are about 100-110 million AK's in use around the world. And if you don't like the idea of having an imported one you can easily build one out of 100% made in America parts. Mine is 60% American parts already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back