Recommended Oil - '13 BMW 528i (F10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 2013 BMW 528i (aka, F10) with a 2 liter turbocharged 4 cylinder engine (aka, N20 engine). Engine temperature seems to run around 220-230 deg F at cruising speed. BMW recommends their own oil with long mileage intervals. I plan on changing my own oil on shorter intervals and am looking at using Mobil 1, European Car Formula, 0W-40. I live in Southern Texas, and the car will likely never go north of the Red River.
Was interested in getting other recommendations for other synthetic oils that are readily available.
Thanks!

Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro Care Formula is a good choice.

From what I understand, BMW backed off the 15K oil changes to 10K.

Apart from M1 0w-40, Castrol 0w-40 is another readily available oil that will fit the bill. Then there is Pennzoil Euro 5w-40, but it typically costs more than the other two because it doesn't come in 5qt jugs.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: kuhlag
I own a 2013 BMW 528i (aka, F10) with a 2 liter turbocharged 4 cylinder engine (aka, N20 engine).

What do you think about this engine's performance in a relatively heavy car like the F10? Is it up to the task, or does it feel like it struggles and you end up wringing it out? I guess it can be fun to wring it out.
smile.gif

I own a 2013 BMW 528i (aka, F10) with a 2 liter turbocharged 4 cylinder engine (aka, N20 engine).

What do you think about this engine's performance in a relatively heavy car like the F10? Is it up to the task, or does it feel like it struggles and you end up wringing it out? I guess it can be fun to wring it out.
smile.gif

[/quote]

No issues with performance; it is not as punchy as a 535, but doesn't feel as heavy either. BMW's N20 gets the same power as the naturally aspirated inline 6 with slightly more torque. I appreciate the efficiency - I get 28 MPG in suburban traffic.

I would use M1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40 since it's the most inexpensive and available.

I don't think the minute difference between 0W40 and 5W40 matters.

10k is a good OCI as well.

No issues with performance; it is not as punchy as a 535, but doesn't feel as heavy either. BMW's N20 gets the same power as the naturally aspirated inline 6 with slightly more torque. I appreciate the efficiency - I get 28 MPG in suburban traffic.

Thanks. I've been eyeing a 3-series wagon with this engine, which weighs about the same as your F10, alas, there is no RWD version.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Not interested in changing your handle to FWD Pete?
wink.gif

LOL. Technically I haven't been quattro Pete for some 10 years now. I'd prefer to stick with RWD, but it seems the manufacturers are adamant about shoving AWD down your throat if you want a premium wagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back