NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's everyone running? I've been researching these things lately. Looks like a lot of personal preference. Synology and QNAP seem to be great choices for starting out with Synology having better software and QNAP better hardware. I'm thinking about getting the QNAP TS-231.

If its for movies and transcoding
I'd be tempted to get a
http://slickdeals.net/f/8169410-combo-de...sktop-processor

or a mini-itx and build something.

or if no transcoding you could get away with a j1900 based board.

there are specialized NAS OS like freenas

or you could use linux.

Most of the appliance NAS use extremely anemic hardware until you get to 1000$+ price range.

we are talking Intel ATOM and 1GB ram or less type hardware.

I'd at least like to see a level of hardware similar to the celeron 1037u and 4GB ram.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hatt
What's everyone running?

Currently using Intel NUC running Ubuntu 14.04, with a 2TB drive connected via USB 3.0. I use it for storage, but also for running several media servers (Plex, Logitech Media Server, etc.)

Originally Posted By: Rand
what are you going to do with it?

Backup for PCs and phones, photo/music server to those devices plus Roku 3. I don't foresee the need for on the fly video transcoding but who knows. The NAS boxes do seem to have some pretty limited hardware but on the plus side they are cheap and don't use much electricity.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
I'd also like to see the brand and model of hard disks BITOGERs are using in their NAS with success and reliability.

WD blue's ATM, in the 1TB variety.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
I'd also like to see the brand and model of hard disks BITOGERs are using in their NAS with success and reliability.

WD Red NAS Hard Drives (assorted models - multiple setups)

Last edited:
WD has a Purple range that is supposed to be designed for always-on operation for servers. The prices are about the same as the Blue range.

Western Digital also bought Hitachi's disk manufacturing enterprise, and those Hitachis always had an excellent reputation. I think the WD-owned former Hitachi drive are now HGST models.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
WD has a Purple range that is supposed to be designed for always-on operation for servers. The prices are about the same as the Blue range.

Western Digital also bought Hitachi's disk manufacturing enterprise, and those Hitachis always had an excellent reputation. I think the WD-owned former Hitachi drive are now HGST models.
Purples are for security cameras/constant duty settings. Reds are their "server" level drives.

My DNS-321 is coming up on 6 years old. Been a good device. Next step will be something with true gigabit. The WD 1TB black drives have been going strong the entire time.

I have all my data in three places so I'll probably run this until a HDD dies, unless I get quite an itch. WD has some nice NAS devices right now.

Originally Posted By: Rand
If its for movies and transcoding
I'd be tempted to get a
http://slickdeals.net/f/8169410-combo-de...sktop-processor

or a mini-itx and build something.

or if no transcoding you could get away with a j1900 based board.

there are specialized NAS OS like freenas

or you could use linux.

Most of the appliance NAS use extremely anemic hardware until you get to 1000$+ price range.

we are talking Intel ATOM and 1GB ram or less type hardware.

I'd at least like to see a level of hardware similar to the celeron 1037u and 4GB ram.
Will these low end builds run Freenas well? I hear it needs 8GB+, but a little extra ran doesn't cost much. A lot of talk about ECC ram too.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

As blu mentioned, you do not want to use purple drives for NAS setups. Right from WD's site:

Recommended use

WD Purple storage is tested and recommended for use in surveillance and security systems up to 8 bays and optimized for 32 HD cameras. For additional surveillance capacity, look at WD datacenter hard drives. WD Purple is not recommended for use in NAS environments, please consider using WD Red hard drives for desktop RAID and NAS environments or WD datacenter hard drives for rackmount or large RAID configurations.

A reviewer explained the reason why here:

THE REASON FOR THIS IS BELOW

The A/V drives ignore errors, the normal drives will do an error recovery to attempt to get back any data from the platter.

When recording video (security cameras etc) you want an A/V drive that will just record whatever you throw at it, and keep going even if it misses a byte or two. An error in a couple of bytes just causes a minor blip in the video stream, but the rest won't stop. On a normal drive it could go into an error recovery mode and stop recording for 10-30 seconds - and this is much worse for security.

However if you store documents, a single byte error could corrupt megabytes or even gigabytes of important data.

Originally Posted By: Zeus33
The A/V drives ignore errors, the normal drives will do an error recovery to attempt to get back any data from the platter.

Point taken. I was just about to ask here what the difference would be between a drive designed for constant operation and one designed for servers. This explanation above makes a lot of sense.

Just for the sake of argument, however: Would not the OS itself and/ or a RAID controller perform some or all of that error checking? I know doing that in software is far from ideal; but I wonder if those purple drives are entirely unfit for server or desktop use without error checking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back