Honda 2113 lawn "tractor"

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 15 year old Honda 2113 has been stalling, and sometimes when it dies, it has to cool before it will restart. Runs well most of the time, always had regular oil changes and never wintered over with ethanol in it. Today it died and I don't think I had any spark. Could not see well in the sun, regardless. When it cooled I had spark and it started and ran normally. I really don't think it is the carb. I will replace the 2 year old spark plug, but I wonder if the ignition coil could be intermittently bad. Anybody got any experience? First time I've had problems with this mower, other than battery replacement and belt changes.

I don't have experience with that particular engine, but it's not unheard of for coils to get flaky with heat. How many coils does that engine have? Is it a 2-cyl liquid-cooled engine?

^^ What he said.

Happens a lot with older coils. The heating and cooling cycles take their toll on older OPE parts (especially with plastic cores). Spark Plug should be fine, but probably wouldn't hurt to change it anyway.

Last edited:
I had a honda h3011 and Hondas are known to have issues with the relay box, all the safety sensors and igntition are controlled by it , Before i dig into the motor to replace a coil. I would unplug the single coil kill wire at the engine. be aware that if it works, you have bypassed the safeties and the ign switch.

Last edited:
This mower has 3 coils and a relay that is supposed to be problematic. However, if the relay goes, it won't crank. That was never a problem. So, after much fiddling around, I replaced the ignition coil assembly and spark plug cap. And adjusted the valves while it was convenient. I have now used the mower to mow 3 times and have seen no repetition of the problem. Runs great. I guess I fixed it.

Originally Posted By: jennings
This mower has 3 coils and a relay that is supposed to be problematic. However, if the relay goes, it won't crank. That was never a problem. So, after much fiddling around, I replaced the ignition coil assembly and spark plug cap. And adjusted the valves while it was convenient. I have now used the mower to mow 3 times and have seen no repetition of the problem. Runs great. I guess I fixed it.

Good for you!

These are little gems of riding mowers, with the venerable Honda GX 13hp single. Fairly simple electronics on them too.

h2113electricallocations_zps10905315.jpg

Intermittent problems can drive you nuts. I am just happy I don't have to mow with my 22 inch push mower. Did it once last month, started with a backache and it sure didn't get any better.

Honda built a great rider, If only they hadn't covered all the necessary bits with the plastic body. I wasn't looking forward to removing the whole thing to get to a relay.

Thanks for the help, y'all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back