Echo SRM-225 help needed

Working on an Echo SRM-225. Needed a new carb so I put on a new carb. Started it and it ran for a few seconds then it died. No spark now. Got a new ignition coil, installed that, still no spark. Tested with a couple different spark plugs to be sure. What do I need to look at now?

Last edited:
Correct. Old coil had no spark, got new coil. Still no spark.
If using an inline tester, the only thing that could cause a loss of spark on these engines is gap or ground.

The wiring for the coil has a ground on the engine and a spade terminal on the coil, with the handle switch in between them on the circuit. You could disconnect the two quick disconnects near the engine and test that way. The two disconnects separated for "run" and touching together for "stop" (grounded). I think with the way they are insulated, you won't be able to touch them together, so do spark testing with the spark plug removed from the engine.

If you get spark this way, you have a short to ground somewhere.

Check the ground wire circuit associated with the On-Off thumbswitch. It may be constantly grounded, thus preventing any spark to be generated. Also, be sure the coil is gapped properly.
Stupid me have cranked and cranked for long times before looking at the switch…

You have a grounded wire. Pull top cover and with the kill wire REMOVED from the coil, it should get a spark. If none than the 2nd coil is also bad. FYI echo has a liftime coil warranty so do not even think about using a $6 china coil.

You have a grounded wire. Pull top cover and with the kill wire REMOVED from the coil, it should get a spark. If none than the 2nd coil is also bad. FYI echo has a liftime coil warranty so do not even think about using a $6 china coil.
It runs great with the kill wire disconnected just tried it. Now to figure out what it grounded out.

Back