Mobil 1 0w40 '07 Infiniti G35X (VQ35HR) 8k Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This UOA turned out better than expected. First UOA since I bought the car with 45k miles. Previous fill was whatever bulk oil the dealer used (I believe it was conventional Valvoline). I ran that for about 2k miles. Hopefully that explains the sodium. This is a lot of highway miles, that being said I'm still surprised how high the TBN is considering the mileage and that these engines are supposed to be hard on oil. Plus, this fill was in from November to March during the pretty rough winter we had here in West Michigan. This is actually the VQ35HR, not the DE that Blackstone noted. Oil filter was a PureOne 14612 (appears I dodged a torn one!). Current mileage is about 56k

Good analysis.

The sodium could be leftover from the prior use of Valvoline. Wouldn't hurt to run the 0W-40 again and do another UOA before your engine warranty expires at 60K. Mobil 1 0W-40 and their HM synthetic oils have high TBN retention and a similar additive package.

Thanks for the input. I did refill with some more M1 0w-40 and another PureOne! Unfortunately, I believe the warranty is already expired since the vehicle is now over 7 years old.

Looks good, Ive been wanting to try M1 0w40 and M1 0w30 AFE in my VQ as well. If you can get it, try Maxlife Full Syn. Ran really smooth and quiet in my G, was the prev fill in my sump.

Results so good everyone is speechless. I too had switched my G37 to M1 0w40 last fall. Can't wait to put enough miles on to do UOA.

Haha, yeah I guess so! I originally felt uncomfortable going so many miles on this OCI with this engine. Thanks for the recommendation bourne, I will put MaxLife Full Synthetic on my list to try. Oil was ran from mid-November to mid-March.

That's awesome.. But I'm not surprised .. Mobil one makes very good stuff. I have the 3.5 vq in my Altima.. I push it hard and change my oil q 4k miles.. I have run Castrol w\ titanium that did great. Now running Havoline 5w-30 conventional.. Still getting very good performance and gas mileage.. But its early still. That car you have is darn nice.. Wish my lady had bought one when she had a chance
smile.gif

One UOA doesn't say much. Everyone is just guessing about the sodium but must admit I agree it's from a previous fill. This is why I hate sodium in the add pack and won't use oils with them.

You almost doubled the Universal Averages so your [slightly]elevated potassium could be normal. Only by trending UOAs are you going to know for sure. Using oils with sodium will make it more difficult.

You're using one of the best oils on the planet (which doesn't use sodium). Why you'd want to play around is beyond me. Because another member uses another (lesser) oil and claims it "runs smooth"? Not a very convincing or technical reason to change what you are doing is it? Your engine isn't running smoothly? According to this one UOA your engine seems to "love it" and is "gobbling it up" and is saying "yummy, yummy" to me.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Looks good, Ive been wanting to try M1 0w40 and M1 0w30 AFE in my VQ as well.

I think M1 0W-30 is a good choice for this car.
Of course it is a very much lighter oil than M1 OW-40, but then a G35 isn't even spec'd for a 40 grade oil.

A year or so after yours is probably when they yanked the recommendation. My G37 still mentions other viscosities, which simply don't show up anywhere. They call for 5w-30 SM/GF-4 or better for all conditions. The phantom wording remains.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: bourne
Looks good, Ive been wanting to try M1 0w40 and M1 0w30 AFE in my VQ as well.

I think M1 0W-30 is a good choice for this car.
Of course it is a very much lighter oil than M1 OW-40, but then a G35 isn't even spec'd for a 40 grade oil.

0w40 is the preferred oil in this engine the world over. They run better on 0w40 than any xw30. Have you ever owned one and tried tried both in the engine?
A high HTHS 0w30 like GC oil would be fine also but not AFE. These engine murder engine oil.
Quote:
NISSAN

Modell
350Z 3.5 V6 (Z33 - VQ35HR) (350Z)

Motor
B

Jahr
2007-2009

Mobil 1 New Life 0W-40

Anwendung Empfehlung Kapazität (l)
Motor (B) 1. Wahl Mobil 1 New Life 0W-40 (d) 4.9

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Nice report. How many months? Winter driven?

Nov-Mar
smile.gif

Plus, OP is in Michigan and this was one of the coldest winters on record. Which speaks even more about how well M1 0W40 performs, at least in these engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back