Neodymium magnets on oil filters possible problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am planning to get a neodymium magnet for my oil filter as I am replacing my drain plug with oem that is not magnetized, and I am wondering if the magnet would cause any issues with the relief valve causing it to always be open or closed?

Has anyone in here done this?
coffee2.gif

This has been discussed a number of times. The conclusion was always there are no bad effects from using magnets on oil filters.

A magnet on the oil filter falls in the category of it might not help much but it won't hurt anything.

I have a bunch of small ones and I stick them all over the oil filter. It make me feel better and that's good enough.

There are two "relief" valves in a typical filter:
1) adbv
2) delta P bypass
You don't specify which you're asking about so I'll cover both ...

The former is typically either nitrile or silicone based, and essentially a "flapper" type valve.

The latter is typically a nylon or phenolic item, and essentially a poppet type valve.

Neither design, nor any of those materials, would ever be effected by a magnet as they have no Fe basis to be manipulated while enveloped in the magnetic field.

Last edited:
Wouldn't the filter catch (or trap) anything that the magnet would catch? Even when in bypass, filters seem to do a good job catching crud.

A lot of the filters cut and posted here that came off dirty engines are always full of stuff in the dome off the can.

I have some to use on an external ATF filter setup, hoping the magnet will catch bits too small to be caught by the filter (dirty AW in the XJ in my sig). Waiting for the weather to get better...

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Go ahead....may the force be with you!

sorry, could not resist :eek:)

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
There are two "relief" valves in a typical filter:
1) adbv
2) delta P bypass
You don't specify which you're asking about so I'll cover both ...

The former is typically either nitrile or silicone based, and essentially a "flapper" type valve.

The latter is typically a nylon or phenolic item, and essentially a poppet type valve.

Neither design, nor any of those materials, would ever be effected by a magnet as they have no Fe basis to be manipulated while enveloped in the magnetic field.

I meant the spring leaf valves or metal coil at the top of the filter.

INB7hO.jpg

Last edited:
I could see the magnet presenting problems with metal endcaps. What kind of metal is used in endcaps typically?

I think magnets are great when used with fiber endcap filters like Fram's.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I could see the magnet presenting problems with metal endcaps. What kind of metal is used in endcaps typically?

I think magnets are great when used with fiber endcap filters like Fram's.

I believe aluminum

I don't see how a magnet would effect metal end caps if there were made of ferrous steel.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Wouldn't the filter catch (or trap) anything that the magnet would catch? Even when in bypass, filters seem to do a good job catching crud.

The magnets can catch a lot of ferrous particles that the filter will not catch.

offroad.jpg

^^^ That's one insane magnet. Might cause an anti-gravitational filed inside the can, which could cause the media to spin about the center tube and tear. LoL
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ That's one insane magnet. Might cause an anti-gravitational filed inside the can, which could cause the media to spin about the center tube and tear. LoL
grin.gif

Also while I was researching I found out that the particles trapped by the magnet could also been trapped by the filter as it is visible to the naked eye which means > 30 microns

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

The magnets can catch a lot of ferrous particles that the filter will not catch.

That picture doesn't really prove anything. Those are particles caught before the filter media, not after. Unless there was a way to know those particles had passed through the media and had not just reached the filter for the first time, you can't take much from it other than it shows there are particles in the oil that get to the filter.

I put a neodymium magnet on the bottom of my oil pan next to the drain plug.
I think it will catch more there because the flow velocity is lower than in the filter so particles aren't swept away.
I pull it off when I change oil so most of what's caught will go out the drain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back