Check out my magnets on my oil filter

Ready for people to check out my magnet setup. Let me know what you think about the practicality of this helping anything...

My theory is that they will catch micro particles under 20um that the oil filter will not catch. Yes my engine block is aluminum and pistons aluminum obviously... so not catching any of those non ferrous particles... But my engine has iron cylinder liners and some other magnetic components (timing chain) etc. that would potentially be attracted to the magnets if there is wear particles created. Bearing material is not ferrous... But i imagine it wont hurt anything having these there just in case some sort of ferrous material is worn into micro particles.

1678501610577.jpg

It will keep the fine metal filings stuck to the inside of the filter instead of circulating through the engine. A magnetic oil plug would probably be just as good?? IMO But this can't hurt......Good on you.

My thoughts were this would provide more surface area than a magnetic drain plug, but I might add a magnetic drain plug as well

It will keep the fine metal filings stuck to the inside of the filter instead of circulating through the engine. A magnetic oil plug would probably be just as good?? IMO But this can't hurt......Good on you.

A magnetic plug has nowhere near the surface area nor the flux proximity as a filter mag.

A magnetic plugs best attribute is one of a diagnostic tool - but they help clean the oil a bit.

It cannot hurt and will only help.

Filtermag claims 3 iso code drops. This is significant. That setup covers a lot of surface area though.

Check out what a poster call linctex does - he drops a neodymium button right in the inlet flow.

Thank you , I will check that out. Yeah I am trying to copy the filter mag. Its alot of surface area, but very expensive.

Thank you , I will check that out. Yeah I am trying to copy the filter mag. Its alot of surface area, but very expensive.

You'll get nearly the same effect with a bunch of store bought neodymiums.

Id argue the button the stream is probably the best method - and way cheaper than a filtermag.

Too many magnets... doubt that you'd need to go that extreme, but this is BITOG.

And, if possible, spread them magnets out along the sides.

I would never put a magnet in a 'stream' situation. Sorry, they can break/crack/chip and can restrict flow.

Filtermag is pretty 'profit margin'.

You can also spray paint the 'non used' sides for protection from the elements. Use your ol' lady's favorite nail polish.

It cannot hurt and will only help.

Filtermag claims 3 iso code drops. This is significant. That setup covers a lot of surface area though.

Check out what a poster call linctex does - he drops a neodymium button right in the inlet flow.
On my daughter's car, I have two Filtermags; one on each side of the oil filter, a neodymium magnet INSIDE the oil filter, and a Dimple magnetic drain plug. I don't regularly cut oil filters open, but I do have a filter cutter and I can tell anyone who cares that I've cut my daughter's filters open since installing the Filtermags, I wanted to see if I'm getting my moneys worth. What I've seen is just like the pictures on their website. I haven't had particle counts done on her oil analysis so I can't address the claim of 3 ISO code drops, but I'm sure I'm getting iron out of her oil and I can't see how that is possibly a bad thing.

It would have to be a separate particle count test, which isn't the same as a regular type UAO. Magnets catch all those very snall particles that even most filters can't catch, and those particles would show up in a PC.
I would argue the magnets will catch all size particles not just the small ones. But I agree a particle count before magnets & after magnets could paint an even better picture of the results... Good idea. (y)

I would argue the magnets will catch all size particles not just the small ones.
True, if any ferrous particles are big enough for the filter to catch, a magnet may catch it before the filter does - if the particle gets close enough to the magnet. But if no magnet is there, certainly small ferrous particles that the filter can't catch are going through the filter and round and round the oiling system. It would be interesting to know of all the particulate there is in the oil, what percentage is ferrous wear metal.

As an engine breaks in, the level of captured ferrous participate by the magnets goes way down - that's what I've seen on my engines. They are also a good way to monitor for any big increase in captured metal that could be an indication of a problem starting.

Back