Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for suggestions for my 2002 Toyota ECHO commuter car

180+ miles
No short trips
I drive 25k per year
90 % rural highway speeds at 60-80mph
3500+ RPM

Good running condition with no leaks. The engine is completely dry and clean, and it does not smoke.

Dealer serviced on bulk oil until 150k, then switched to Pennzoil Ultra 5W and 10W-30.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I am having an oil consumption issue since I purchased the car at 150k.

1 quart per 1700 miles.

Is this inevitable because of the constant high speeds? (and high RPM's)

I would be willing to switch brands (to another synthetic) but I wont use any type of magical engine flush.

I know most people use a HM oil to combat leaks. But I have none!
Would MaxLife synthetic be a good candidate for this car?

With you rate of consumption, an HM oil is certainly worth a try. Pennzoil Ultra is an overkill for your engine IMO.

I start with running a dino to see if that slows anything down. Maybe even a dino HM oil.

If synthetic is what you really want, M1 HM is a good choice. (Is it still cheaper than Valvoline at WM?)

I would try a HM type oil in the recommended grade. I am a little iffy on 40 grades in OHC engines.

Why did you change to the synthetic? Sounds like the car was running fine on the bulk dino. Switch it back to something like PYB and keep going the way you were doing before. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I suspect that Toyota in the OM recommends a heavier oil for sustained high speed driving. Some sort of weasel language in there.

Id try ST 20w-50 in there for a short OCI. Not sure how cold it gets by you, but if you have to dump it, the cost is minimal.

Ive verified that ST oil only has 800 ppm phos, so it wil be kind to your cat converter.

Quote:
I suspect that Toyota in the OM recommends a heavier oil for sustained high speed driving. Some sort of weasel language in there.

I don't think so.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
With you rate of consumption, an HM oil is certainly worth a try. Pennzoil Ultra is an overkill for your engine IMO.

I start with running a dino to see if that slows anything down. Maybe even a dino HM oil.

If synthetic is what you really want, M1 HM is a good choice. (Is it still cheaper than Valvoline at WM?)

I agree.

I'd stick with the recommended grade - 5W30 or 10W30 and try HM.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX

I would be willing to switch brands (to another synthetic) but I wont use any type of magical engine flush.

Why not, if they can potentially help? That or piston soaks.

Since you're mostly highway I'd recommend a 5w40 HM oil. In my brothers experience (oil burning 96' Lexus) it burns a lot faster at highway speeds on a road trip when at 80 mph.

Having tried heavier weight oils in my Corolla that also consume a decent bit of oil, I wouldn't recommend it. Noticeable lack in performance.

I'd use a 10w-30 HM oil with 10,000 mile drain intervals and keep it topped off. I did that in mine when I was doing all highway driving. higher drain interval compensates for the consumption since after several thousand miles, you've essentially done an oil change via top offs.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Why did you change to the synthetic? Sounds like the car was running fine on the bulk dino. Switch it back to something like PYB and keep going the way you were doing before. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Well, the oil burning history is unknown... but one can assume that it also burned a bit before I took ownership.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I suspect that Toyota in the OM recommends a heavier oil for sustained high speed driving.

Only 5w / 10w with 5w-30 being the "preferred" oil

Basically I have 2 questions:

1. Is oil burning inevitable because of the high speed / high RPM driving conditions?

2. Does HM oil do anything to prevent consumption in a situation where no leaks are present?

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher

Well, the oil burning history is unknown... but one can assume that it also burned a bit before I took ownership.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I suspect that Toyota in the OM recommends a heavier oil for sustained high speed driving.

Only 5w / 10w with 5w-30 being the "preferred" oil

True - I would try a thicker HM blend. QS Defy is a blend and on the thicker end. I think you should do fine with the 5w-30.

To me, that is a pretty high consumption rate. I also drive my ECHO nearly all highway miles (at about the same speeds or more) and on 0W-20 I have to add about a quart total during a typical 8000-10,000 mile OCI. Mine is a manual transmission, I don't know if that results in lower RPMs or not.

I don't know about your second question, why not give it a try and find out?

1. Is oil burning inevitable because of the high speed / high RPM driving conditions?

2. Does HM oil do anything to prevent consumption in a situation where no leaks are present?

Looking for suggestions for my 2002 Toyota ECHO commuter car

180+ miles
No short trips
I drive 25k per year
90 % rural highway speeds at 60-80mph
3500+ RPM

Use PYB (or similar) straight 30 wt. This will be ideal given your highway/high speed/minimal start ups/high RPM application.

I speak from experience, this will cause no harm and will work great.

1) In YOUR engine, I suspect it is inevitable given the high level of consumption you are currently experiencing.

2) I'd guess that the seal conditioners would do little to help curb your consumption issue, but a little higher viscosity might help. Only one way to find out. Try QS Defy or Pennzoil HM xW-30 to see if they slow your consumption down any (MaxLife isn't much thicker than non-HM oils, so I'd try something else). The good news is, at your consumption rate, you don't need to wait till the next oil change! Just start adding HM as make-up oil!

I agree, I think the PCV should be changed at that mileage. And, as has been recommended, run a 5/10-30 high mileage oil with a good filter for 10k, keeping it topped off regularly. Actually if you are doing 25k per year the you might just do 6 months OCI and call it good.

No.

No. You could use any thicker oil with same result.

Always think why this happen.
1. Clogged PCV valve. (very likely)
2. Clogged oil drainages and piston rings (most likely)
3. Worn piston rings. (almost impossible)

So I would check PCV first. This is cheap and fast. Then I would try to use MMO or SeaFoam in the oil. If this does not work (I am pretty sure that it will NOT), it would be a nice idea to soak rings. There are many information on Saturn forums.

One more thing: get rid of any synthetic oil. Take thicker mineral 10W40 with extra 20-25% of MMO. I mean more MMO than it is written in the instruction.

The PCV was changed about 6 months ago with a new OEM unit. It made no difference in the rate of consumption.

Why do people recommend to get rid of the synthetic ?

Why would PYB 5-30 be preferable to PU 5-30 ?

high speeds=consumption IMO.

I just drove 1100 miles to western VA and back at +75mph during the Thanksgiving holiday and probably used 1.5qts of oil (5w-30)

I have tried a few things to slow my consumption including a BG109 flush, higher viscosity oils, but haven't tried a HM oil.

Nothing has really reduced consumption to a significant degree. My car started burning oil @ about 170K; I've owned the car since new and it has always received a BITOG approved level of attention.

It might be something just to live with as I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back