The 4 Letter White Stuff is Flying :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty exited for the possibility of snow tonight into tomorrow. It's November.

Unlike a lot of people, I actually enjoy the snow. I think it looks much nicer than just dead grass and mud from rain.

Since it's not supposed to be any significant accumulation, I just expected that we'd have to drive a bit slower.

Turned on to the road to go to work and I heard the oh-so-familiar sound. The 4 letter white stuff was already put on the road.

UGH! It's already started trying to rust out the car this year! And I don't even have the oil sprayed yet!

It's flying here in WNY too.

I think I've held out long enough and will put the snow tires on tonight.

Hmm, maybe I'll finally decide what snow tires to get. Been putting off as I usually don't drive much in snow. But since the polar vortex is coming and we're all going to die this winter maybe I oughta get a set. Good thing I already sprayed the cars with oil.

Last edited:
I was hoping to get the Cherokee at least sprayed with Oil and the better-in-snow all terrain tires put on before the salt started flying
frown.gif

I guess this is the end of oil changes for the year?
Barring the people who have the luxury of indoor facilities.

This Sundays gonna be a handfull of OCI's, soon it'll be too cold to bother.

I've got some waste oil ready to recycle; I'm considering painting the unserside of the cars with it this year.

I would think it would just run off, but I know a guy with a rust-free 1990's Toyota and that's the only precaution he takes, so maybe he's got something

Originally Posted By: supton
Hmm, maybe I'll finally decide what snow tires to get. Been putting off as I usually don't drive much in snow. But since the polar vortex is coming and we're all going to die this winter maybe I oughta get a set. Good thing I already sprayed the cars with oil.

I've got the General snow's on my Kia Optima. They're the best I've had; I like them better than my Blizzak's or Firestone Winterforce's

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
One four letter word brings on another four letter word. And very likely, many more four letter words...

Agreed. While the snow in itself is pretty, all the other things that it necessitates (salt and rust, snowblowers, shovels, winter wheels and tires) I could certainly do without. And then there is snow-related traffic.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
I guess this is the end of oil changes for the year?
Barring the people who have the luxury of indoor facilities.

This Sundays gonna be a handfull of OCI's, soon it'll be too cold to bother.

Meh. Warm engine, hot oil, so at least your fingers stay warm. Pick a day when the sun comes but is still a good 10 degrees below freezing, and you'll stay dry regardless of how many layers you stack on.

Originally Posted By: Smcatub
Originally Posted By: supton

I've got the General snow's on my Kia Optima. They're the best I've had; I like them better than my Blizzak's or Firestone Winterforce's

Only vehicle I'd put snows on is my truck as it's the worst vehicle I've had in snow in years. It has new LTX's on it right now but its light rear means it might as well be on roller skates. The other two cars generally avoid the worst of it; last year we drove on bald tires and managed, so having new a/s means they'll... suck a bit less.

I wouldn't bother but the truck gets parked in the backyard and as such it sees a worse driveway than the other cars. My Jetta would get stuck despite aggressive snows in the backyard.

Originally Posted By: Smcatub
I've got some waste oil ready to recycle; I'm considering painting the unserside of the cars with it this year.

I would think it would just run off, but I know a guy with a rust-free 1990's Toyota and that's the only precaution he takes, so maybe he's got something

I have been doing that on my focus. This is it's 4th winter. Underneath it looks brand new (where I didn't miss).

Not too bad considering many 2 year old cars start to show rust up here!

Winter doesn't know it was supposed to start yet. We've still been in the high 70s/low 80s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Originally Posted By: Miller88
The 4 Letter White Stuff is Flying
frown.gif

Coke?

Salt haha

Is it actually legal to spray motor oil onto the underside of a vehicle? I'm no environmentalist...but common sense would tell me that the oil will eventually end up in the water table or at least into streams and such. Wouldn't some non-toxic type of oil be a better choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back