Car and Drivers 2014 Corvette grenaded engine....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jrustles

What else could it be?...
I wonder if GM tried to "rig" the test vehicle by putting 0W-20 in the crankcase in order to get more power & better fuel efficiency at the expense of engine protection under high load conditions.
31.gif

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Don't race stuff and than cry when a failure happens.
That's pretty much what C&D was doing when the engine failure occurred.

On a side note, I think this car has dry sump lubrication and would have expected a lubrication related engine failure to be less likely to occur. I mean they put inexpensive cars like the Golf & Ford Fiesta through the same testing and it's the Vette whose engine fails. What a disappointment!

Originally Posted By: LFN
A last generation ZO6 engine grenades on the track, video also has pictures of the damaged engine at the end.

http://youtu.be/qVb9gfV0dL4

Exactly

I instruct at HPDEs, so I'm not truly a "racer," but having said that, instructor sessions can become very intense. I knowingly assume that my car may suffer an engine(or other) failure, but I've been pretty lucky so far. Since 1984 I've tracked four BMWs as well as my Mazdaspeed 3 and I've yet to encounter any sort of issue other than brake and tire wear. Now, my Mazdaspeed 3 did have a front strut die a couple of weeks after a school, but it was replaced under warranty; R&T ran a long-term 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 that also needed a front strut after a weekend at Laguna Seca, but it's pretty much accepted that Mazdaspeed 3 OEM dampers are rubbish(as the Brits say). I would be upset if I bought a car that is marketed as track-ready(Fiesta/Focus ST, Boss 302, M3/4, Cayman S, Z06, Z28, etc.) and then suffered issues unrelated to obvious abuse(over revving the engine, speed-shifting, incorrect/low oil or similar).

Originally Posted By: wemay
Dang ARCO'! How many warranty engine replacements have you had?
shocked2.gif

Agree with you on the ECU storage function. If it were any of us enjoying a spirited drive when this happened....yikes!

Why would it matter if it was a spirited drive as long as the RPM was not over redline? There's nothing in my warranty book stating "spirited drives void warranty" or even anything other than racing, which unless it was towed from a track would be hard to prove.

As long as the service is kept up it doesn't matter if the engine failed while at idle or while you nailed it just for fun going up a hill. It should all be warranty 100%. Or they better start having a "warranty tach" and a regular tach!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08

Why would it matter if it was a spirited drive as long as the RPM was not over redline? There's nothing in my warranty book stating "spirited drives void warranty" or even anything other than racing, which unless it was towed from a track would be hard to prove.

As long as the service is kept up it doesn't matter if the engine failed while at idle or while you nailed it just for fun going up a hill. It should all be warranty 100%. Or they better start having a "warranty tach" and a regular tach!
smile.gif

Mitsubishi used to void Evo warranties for bouncing off the rpm limiter- not exceeding redline, just hitting the limiter...

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: itguy08

smile.gif

Mitsubishi used to void Evo warranties for bouncing off the rpm limiter- not exceeding redline, just hitting the limiter...

My car has had the rev limiter at 6600 rpm for years, bounced against it thousands of times, and is at 100k miles. Many many road course track days with oil temps at 300 degrees+ and over 200 dragstrip passes. Never a peep from this engine, still eerily smooth and quiet.

This Vette thing is a freak, as car rags have been pounding on these for many months now...

Last edited:
Guy I met on the Power Tour has 250,000+ on a Charger RT...just past 200K, he did a HPDE. Everyone was amazed that he would track a car with that many miles...only thing damaged was a set of brake pads. (Which is no shock on the 4200lb Charger.)

I instruct at HPDEs, so I'm not truly a "racer," but having said that, instructor sessions can become very intense. I knowingly assume that my car may suffer an engine(or other) failure, but I've been pretty lucky so far. Since 1984 I've tracked four BMWs as well as my Mazdaspeed 3 and I've yet to encounter any sort of issue other than brake and tire wear. Now, my Mazdaspeed 3 did have a front strut die a couple of weeks after a school, but it was replaced under warranty; R&T ran a long-term 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 that also needed a front strut after a weekend at Laguna Seca, but it's pretty much accepted that Mazdaspeed 3 OEM dampers are rubbish(as the Brits say). I would be upset if I bought a car that is marketed as track-ready(Fiesta/Focus ST, Boss 302, M3/4, Cayman S, Z06, Z28, etc.) and then suffered issues unrelated to obvious abuse(over revving the engine, speed-shifting, incorrect/low oil or similar).

Offhand, the 370Z brake problem comes to mind!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
This Vette thing is a freak, as car rags have been pounding on these for many months now...

I'd agree. Stuff happens. That's what warranty is for. If it were impossible for an engine to fail in under 5 years/100,000 miles (or whatever), there wouldn't be a warranty offered on it in the first place.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer

Supposedly the Corvette specs synthetic only because GM was too cheap to include an oil cooler for the car. I have no idea of the truth of that, but then, who else but GM would ever do something like that?

This was true in 1984 when Chevrolet unveiled the new Corvette after skipping the entire 1983 production year.

I don't know that it was their cheapness, but instead, the willingness of the design engineers to trust the capability of synthetic motor oil to handle higher engine temperatures.

Two decades later, my 2005 C6 with the Z51 option had an oil cooler but still specified M1 5W-30 as the factory fill.

Funny you should bring that up. One of my clients just picked up an '84 Vette, and this car, after idling for 15 minutes, had a sump temp of 229-230 degrees. That's a lot of thermal load for idle.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Garak
They want to drive the snot out of the vehicle in their tests, have a 20,000 mile OCI, and be able to use the cheapest oil they can find.

isn't that what most consumers want? Including BITOG'ers?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I agree. I remember reading about a new engine a few years ago, I won't mention the name to avoid starting a battle here. They claimed 40,000 hours of testing went into the design. After release they had some problems. I got to thinking how many engines did they test for 40,000 hours? Or did they test 40 engines for 1,000 hours, that also totals 40,000 hours of testing. They weren't too specific. The bottom line is the long term testing is done by the consumers, and many times they get screwed. I'm certain C&D can't come close to testing like a mfg would, and even the mfg's testing often falls short.

Ever read up on the venerated Slant Six? Chrysler did all sorts of testing and as a publicity stunt ran a fleet of NYC taxi cabs to show off the new engine. On the very first day of this stunt every single car had to be towed off the street. All of 'em. Turns out, there was a problem where the rings fluttered at idle, and the plugs oil fouled. All that testing, and apparently no testing done at idle. But as we all know that turned into a very reliable motor.

Still wouldn't have wanted to be the guy buying the first one off the line only to find out that the rings needed replacing in short order!

Jaguar ran into a sort of similar problem with one of its engines. Through hard testing, the combustion chambers always stayed clean, but under softer street driving, the engines would accumulate carbon, and then blow upon release of this carbon when the engine finally was driven harder. They never found out during testing.

OK, so after reading this thread, and all related facts and information, I have come to the conclusion that nobody really knows why this engine blew at all, but are happy to make some guesses.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

It's just understood that 350/370Z's will have brake problems at track days.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Dang ARCO'! How many warranty engine replacements have you had?
shocked2.gif

Agree with you on the ECU storage function. If it were any of us enjoying a spirited drive when this happened....yikes!
Nissan OE Filter

How is oil supposed to get around this end cap on my new Versa Note OE China Nissan filter? - addressing rod knock on my new car - and many Nissan 4cyl complaints yet AGAIN! This must be some widespread corporate bean-counter conspiracy against me (... and my engines)!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

It's just understood that 350/370Z's will have brake problems at track days.

Which is absolutely inexcusable, especially for a car marketed as the NISsan MOtorsports model!

And it's not just brakes, on a 370Z(NISMO included) the oil temperature can spike and cause the ECU to go into limp mode.

Then there's the "track ready" GT-R- Nissan will void the warranty on that puppy if you drive within ten miles of a road course...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back