New Accord - Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picking up a new Accord EX-L tomorrow. k24 4 cyl. I know the break oil stays in until the MM goes off...special Honda unicorn break in oil.
smile.gif

Past that, any oil/filter suggestions? Thoughts from me:

Fram ultra, M1, or Honda for filter.

Penn ultra or platinum or Honda 0w20

Input is appreciated.

congratulations and enjoy!
Fram Ultra or M1 filter.
Either PP or PU are excellent choices!

seriously - all that you listed are very good products - shop by price and enjoy your car for the next 250,000+ miles

Last edited:
I have fed my K24 powered 08 CR-V mainly M1 5w-20 EP and M1 filters. Also a couple runs of SynPower and PP with Napa Gold filters. Currently I'm running Castrol Syntec (gold bottle) 0w-20 and the Fram Ultra filter. I have a 1 Fram Ultra and 5 qts of the gold Castrol for the next oil change. It has been trouble free for 102,000 miles now.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new ride. I would go with a Fram Ultra for the filter, and M1 0w20, TGMO 0w20, PP 0w20, and PU 0w20 are all great choices for oil.

Welcome to Honda ownership!

If I were you I'd be using Fram Ultras with whatever major brand full syn catches your eye or has the best price. I'd probably go with Mobil 1 Advance Fuel Economy 0W-20 myself.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Picking up a new Accord EX-L tomorrow. k24 4 cyl. I know the break oil stays in until the MM goes off...special Honda unicorn break in oil.
smile.gif

Input is appreciated.

Wix, whatever oil the book recommends and 1/2 the OCI recommended by Honda.

I recently replaced the factory fill in my daughter's 2014 Accord with Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 and a Honda/Filtech filter. Walmart had the 5qt jugs of the oil for about $23, this car takes almost all of it with its 4.4qt capacity.

The Accord is a nice car; I'm still driving my 97 daily.

Last edited:
smile.gif

Input is appreciated.

Concentrate on the cosmetic appearance of the car, inside and out. Its a Honda. With half-decent care it will last longer than you care to drive it. Make it so that its a car you wouldn't mind being seen in ten years from now.

I had some leftover TGMO 0w20, and put that in my wife's Odyssey about 2 weeks ago. It calls for 5w20.

Sounds and runs very smooth.

I would stay with Honda oil and filter for the first couple of changes. After that, pick what you want that meets Honda specs and stick with it.

I have the same car. I have bought the Honda oil filters (15400-PLM-A01) made by Filtec and M1 0w20 AFE. There are 2 different oil filters from Honda. The A02 is made by Honeywell, and the A01 is made by Filtec.

I may go with the Honda filter...the A01. I read about the differences last night and can source them pretty easily. I think the Fram will be my second choice, as I know it is a great filter, though I have always had good luck with M1 filters as well. Guess I have three good choices!
smile.gif

As far as oil, I can usually get M1 or PP/PU at Wal Mart at a good price. I feel they are both top notch oils, with a slight preference toward Pennzoil.

The FF will stay in until the MM tells me to change. However, what is the feeling on the Honda MM in subsequent changes? Follow it, or run it to say, 20%? Would love some input.

thanks for the help!

Last edited:
I would stick with an OEM 0W-20 as they are lighter on start-up than most aftermarket 0W-20's. PP is one of the heavier 0W-20s in that regard so it's not an oil I'd choose.
You could use the CoP made Honda 0W-20 but I much prefer the Toyota or Mazda 0W-20s.

How about M1 0w20 versus PP?

This choice has come up a few times before and I would choose M1 for it's higher VI, lower KV40 spec' and much lower MRV but we are splitting hairs in the practical difference.
That said, I much prefer TGMO 0W-20 and MGMO 0W-20 over M1 AFE for this application.

I would dump the factory fill. No big deal on moly based assembly lube. Use a high moly based oil, or additive.

Nothing wrong with MM for the rest of the OCIs. Stick with a full synth oil and any of the synth media filters.

Magnefine it if auto transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back