O'reilly Microgard Switching to Wix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: engineer20
http://www.fleetfilter.com/comparison-fram-filter.html

fram sucks

In that link, the table says the Fram has 54 pleats and the media area is 973.28 sq-in. But notes at the bottom of the page say: "The Fram had the least amount of pleats - only 33."

Also, the notes say: "Fram used eight drain holes like most of the other filters, but the diameter of those holes was the smallest." But the table says it has 10 holes. Plus the hole diameter is only 0.030" smaller than the NAPA Gold.

These guys have discrepancies all over the place, so doesn't give much creditability to their "comparison skills" reporting.

I thought this was interesting ... looks like there are some differences between the WIX and the NAPA Gold in the same "1060" part number.

http://www.fleetfilter.com/comparison-wix-filter.html

Again, these "reviewers" are kind of squirrely. They say:

"Obviously the Wix and the NapaGold filters are identical, except for the weight which could be attributed to the glue that hold the pleats to the end caps."

and

"Wix makes the filters for Napa - therefore, a NapaGold and a Wix are identical. They are made on the same production line, only the Napa filters end up in a different packaging department."

Ummmm ... the two filters really aren't "identical" as shown by the information in the table. How can they be identical if the number of pleats and media area is different, and one uses a leaf spring and the other a coil spring. They obviously don't know what the word identical really means.

Another mistake ... the Purolator Classic does not use a silicone ADBV.

http://www.fleetfilter.com/comparison-purolator-filter.html

Stopped by my local O'Reilly today and picked up a couple Microgards for my car. $4.69 a pop, whereas their price for a WIX is $12.49. Part #'s match with the exception of the "MGL" prefix for the Microgard. Not a bad deal.

I saw the last poster uses a Bosch. Or used one. How do you like those compared to microgard or wix? I have one sitting I. The garage I bought with an autozone oil change special but haven't used it yet. Are they any good? Is the microgard or wix better? That comparison website made Bosch look like a nice filter.

I saw the last poster uses a Bosch. Or used one. How do you like those compared to microgard or wix? I have one sitting I. The garage I bought with an autozone oil change special but haven't used it yet. Are they any good? Is the microgard or wix better? That comparison website made Bosch look like a nice filter.

I just installed the Bosch that's currently on my car, last week. I typically don't use them, but when I went to Walmart to buy oil they were cleaned out of the Fram TG6607 that I normally use. ZeeOSix is correct, it's essentially a Purolator. Due to the recent tearing issues, I will probably just do a short OCI on this one.

The Microgard filters that I bought will be used for the next two oil changes. I plan on cutting them open and posting pictures, I just need to order a new filter cutting tool because my old one broke.

how is bosch compared to wix? similar or the wix is better?

Bosch has better efficiency (99% @ 20u), but the WIX is pretty good too (95% @ 20u).

sounds good. I recently bought a wix for an oil change special and before, i had a bosch

WIX is good, can't go wrong there.

i have a 57145 for my camry in both the microgard and the wix, so since the part number is the same, it shows that the microgard is now made by wix

any comparisons/cut open new wix made microgards versus the wixs? i heard the new microgard was like the napa proselect, better than fram

also, is it the same as the carquest red filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back