Break in reman engine: Best Dino + Maybe Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin had to get a NAPA reman 4.0L Jeep engine and it will be installed soon. Place that did the reman said to not change the oil for 5000 - doesn't sound like too good of an idea.

Was wondering if there were any opinions out there on what would be best to use in this case? Engine calls for 5W-30. Haven't really checked out dino VOA's recently. Used to be Havoline had a good dose of moly in it. Was thinking around 300-400 for moly, and zinc up in the 1500 range (with corresponding P) would be a good place to shoot for, while the 5W of the 30 would get the oil flowing quickly to the new engine.

Any thoughts/advice here?

I rebuild Jeep engines all the time. Pick an oil, throw a drill on the oil pump, and fire it up. There is no need for special additives in this engine design. The additives are already in the assembly lube.

Millions of Jeep engines did just fine without zinc additive.

You have some good Break-In oils today such as

Amsoil, Break-In Oil

or

Joe Gibbs BR 5W30.

I would steer away from any oil that high moly content such as Redline or PYB, and don't add any friction modifiers.

You want anti-wear additives, not friction modifiers.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Amsoil, Break-In Oil

or

Joe Gibbs BR 5W30.

I would steer away from any oil that high moly content such as Redline or PYB, and don't add any friction modifiers.

Good point Mola, I slipped up on that one.

If you use the Redline additive, pair it with an Ashland product like Valvoline conventional or Napa conventional which contain no Moly.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Amsoil, Break-In Oil

or

Joe Gibbs BR 5W30.

What would you consider a good BI oil you can buy at a store like Pep Boys or AAP? Off the top of my head I probably would have probably considered PYB and been wrong. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I rebuild Jeep engines all the time. Pick an oil, throw a drill on the oil pump, and fire it up. There is no need for special additives in this engine design. The additives are already in the assembly lube.

Millions of Jeep engines did just fine without zinc additive.

+1 I'd use SuperTech 5W-30 and change it in 3-4000 to whatever you want to run.

I would put 1/2 a bottle of redline break in additive into the oil it has in it when installed, run it 1000 miles, then change it with whatever 5/30 you like, with the other half of the bottle of redline. Then, resume normal OCI without any additives. But that is just me.

Why not just follow the builders recommendations?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Why not just follow the builders recommendations?
21.gif

Who cares about the oil! One filter, one oci!

Brad Penn Break-In Oil SAE 30

or inexpensive conventional like Valvoline White Bottle, Castrol GTX, Super Tech etc.

with break in additive from Redline, GM EOS, Eastwood ZDDP Plus, Rislone ZDDP booster, Crane Cams, Competition Cams, etc.

Only run 500 - 1500 miles for first OCI with oil filter replacement, then approx 1500 - 2500 miles for next. After warming up use the engine's torque in the lower 2/3rd of the power band, stay away from high revs. Heat cycle it numerous times - no trips longer than an hour.

After the second oil change switch to oil of your choice.

It blows my mind how millions of AMC 199 - 258 engines lasted several hundred thousand miles without using $8.00 per quart break in oil - LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back