Replacement filter for PureOne?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
NAPA Platinum

Only 50% @ 20 microns ... not great efficiency.

At least it doesn't have blow-outs like that FRAM does.
grin2.gif

An Ultra with a couple of pin-holes in the media will still be more efficient that a NAPA Platinum/WIX XP.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: SF0059
5-10k: Fram Tough Guard, M1 or Wix
15k+: Fram Ultra
The Tough Guard says 99 percent efficient while Ultra says 99+ so I'll spend the extra $3 for the better one. I never thought I'd be running a Fram given past poor performance. I hope it doesn't tear-out like the Purolator.

I have one Mobil 1 oil filter left. It's a shame they are not higher efficiency.

Originally Posted By: OilAnalyzer

I have one Mobil 1 oil filter left. It's a shame they are not higher efficiency.

What? Mobil 1 oil filters are also 99% efficient, less than 20 microns, ISO 4548-12, and use a similar cellulose-glass fiber blend like Fram ToughGaurds do, same efficiency rating.

Originally Posted By: FetchFar

What? Mobil 1 oil filters are also 99% efficient, less than 20 microns, ISO 4548-12, and use a similar cellulose-glass fiber blend like Fram ToughGaurds do, same efficiency rating.

Really? Got an authoritative citing for that spec. Never seen 99% @ 20um for M1. Never seen any authoritative spec stating < 20um for any filter posted here. The M1EP site currently says 99.9% but lists no micron level, basically meaningless.

All that said, M1EP is solid extended oci filter imo.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Really? Got an authoritative citing for that spec. Never seen 99% @ 20um for M1. Never seen any authoritative spec stating < 20um for any filter posted here. The M1EP site currently says 99.9% but lists no micron level, basically meaningless.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filters claim it on the box for my size M1C-254. Also, they are now coming out of the same factory as Fram ToughGaurds TG8765 as the Mobil helpline once said. Mobil 1 website doesn't quite state it correctly, yet its printed on their boxes. .... Notice Fram ToughGuard ISO 4548-12 <20 micron 99% is also printed on their box, and its all over the web as well. ... If you still don't believe them, then you think they are lying, a real possibility, yet they're probably telling us the truth here.

Last edited:

Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filters claim it on the box for my size M1C-254. Also, they are now coming out of the same factory as Fram ToughGaurds TG8765 as the Mobil helpline once said. Mobil 1 website doesn't quite state it correctly, yet its printed on their boxes. .... Notice Fram ToughGuard ISO 4548-12 span> 99% is also printed on their box, and its all over the web as well. ... If you still don't believe them, then you think they are lying, a real possibility, yet they're probably telling us the truth here.

So exactly what does it say on the M1 EP filter box ... does it list an efficiency and a particle size per IOS 4548-12 testing?

Fram says for the TG, 99% at >20 microns ... not 20 microns" I take that as basically the same as "@ 20 microns or larger". Motorking (Fram Tech Rep here) uses "@20 microns" when he talks about Fram oil filter efficiency.

And of course they are telling the truth. I doubt any filter maker is going to put their neck out with false efficiency claims when they know a competitor could sue them for false advertising. Yes, they watch each other because false claims could result in more sales, and competitors don't want that.

FetchFar said:
So exactly what does it say on the M1 EP filter box ... does it list an efficiency and a particle size per IOS 4548-12 testing?

Fram says for the TG, 99% at >20 microns ... not 20 microns" I take that as basically the same as "@ 20 microns or larger". Motorking (Fram Tech Rep here) uses "@20 microns" when he talks about Fram oil filter efficiency.

The M1 EP oil filter listed an efficiency rating on the box, and a while back the Mobil helpline phone tech told me he was looking at a spec sheet that said >20 microns at the stated 99.x% 4548-12 style. I remember talking to the helpline, and thats when they stated that The Rank investors had consolidated production of M1 and Fram filters together, but would not confirm if the media was the same. It might be the same media, M1 vs. FramTG.

Last edited:
It'd be nice if Motorking could say if M1 is the same cellulose-glass fiber media that FramToughGuard uses. anonymously...

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filters claim it on the box for my size M1C-254. Also, they are now coming out of the same factory as Fram ToughGaurds TG8765 as the Mobil helpline once said. Mobil 1 website doesn't quite state it correctly, yet its printed on their boxes. .... Notice Fram ToughGuard ISO 4548-12 div>

I don't think they are lying, because the Fram TG doesn't say 99% < 20 um which I know you quoted inaccurately. But I don't care about the TG because I know what it says, 99%>20um, HUGE difference.

As for M1, I asked for an authoritative citing. So you are saying the box says 99% < 20um. Again, really? Perhaps you can post a pic as proof because I've never seen an ISO 4548-12 tested spec stating < 20 um with any percent.
21.gif

The M1 EP oil filter listed an efficiency rating on the box, and a while back the Mobil helpline phone tech told me he was looking at a spec sheet that said >20 microns at the stated 99.x% 4548-12 style.

So the box doesn't list a particle size, just the percentage and you had to call them to get that info? What kind of advertising is that. Of course, most people don't know that a filtering efficiency percent without a corresponding particle size doesn't mean much.

sayjac, see my post above after ZeeOSix's. Yes, you caught me in a small typo ". ... The M1 Ext Perf box M1C254 did list the 4548-12, but I did have to call their helpline and get them to read their spec sheet to me, so a little hard to find the
I emailed someone I know who works at Fram to tell me if the media of TG vs. M1 oil filters are now the same since The Rank group consolidated manufacturing lines.

So the box doesn't list a particle size, just the percentage and you had to call them to get that info? What kind of advertising is that. Of course, most people don't know that a filtering efficiency percent without a corresponding particle size doesn't mean much.

Yep, I had to investigate all that myself months ago, TG vs. M1, called Mobil helpline (incomplete ads, agreed) and I remember the helpline guy was sure he was looking at >20 microns, as that was what I was trying to confirm. .... I might add, older sources of info on the web, 5 year old stuff, used >25 microns, no longer accurate. Anyway, M1 very similar to Fram TG in the TG8765 size and probably others.

If Mobil 1 oil filters are so efficient, they why don't they just say so on their website?

They don't say much. Nothing said about particle size in the IOS test per this info on the Mobil 1 website.
Mobil 1 EP Oil Filters FAQs

"Does ExxonMobil make oil filters for use with Mobil 1™?
ExxonMobil offers a very high-quality oil filter that can be used with any motor oil and it is an especially appropriate companion to Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters contain synthetic fibers instead of the typical cellulose filter media. With maximum capacity at 99.9% efficiency*, the Mobil 1 filter is much more efficient than a typical economy oil filter, removing more particles per pass through the filter. The filter holds and removes 300% more dirt vs. an economy filter brand*. In addition, the synthetic fibers in the Mobil 1 oil filter have less resistance to oil flow, reducing the potential for the filter to restrict the flow of oil to your engine.

*ISO 4548-12 test procedure M1-301
Updated December 2012

sayjac, see my post above after ZeeOSix's. Yes, you caught me in a small typo ". ...

While it may make sense and be obvious, that's why I repeated it in my first reply here which you quickly rebuked a second time. I clarified it since apparently it wasn't quite so clear.

That aside, I've seen nothing published for M1 beyond what's on the current website 99.9% with no micron level listed, thus the query for a citing.

1-800-882-0890 is the Mobil number I once called. I remember when I called that, the person on that line referred me to another phone number for their oil filters, probably related to the Fram consolidation of Champion by The Rank group I'd guess.

As for ad problems, we at BITOG are used to incompleteness, inaccuracies, mistakes, typos, by marketing, ... Pennzoil comes to mind, others as well. ... Other companies even harder to find info. ... I remember I called Wix and didn't get much ISO 4548-12 info out of them over the phone ("proprietary") for NAPA Gold stuff.

If anyone is anal about filtration below 20 micron, seems like they would want to just cut to the chase and put on bypass filtration. Then there would be no argument about 99% at less than 20 micron. Let the full flow filter do what it does best and let the bypass do it's thing.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
If anyone is anal about filtration below 20 micron, seems like they would want to just cut to the chase and put on bypass filtration. Then there would be no argument about 99% at less than 20 micron. Let the full flow filter do what it does best and let the bypass do it's thing.

Actually, the only ISO 4548-12 statements that make sense are always preceded by ">" X microns. Certainly getting more out down to around 3 microns or so requires bypass or a parallel-path canister oil filter like MicroGreenFilter.com. ... Just going with a Fram TG, Ultra, or a M1, or NAPA Gold premium oil filters is probably good enough, easy to do.

I found this in a 2007 Mobil 1 advertisement at 25 microns (not 20 which is harder to pass)
99.7 Fram Extra Guard & Pennzoil regular (yellow)
99.6 M1 and Purolator Classic
98.2 Wix regular & Napa gold

Mobil is comparing their expensive filter to the cheap ones. They advertise in this PDF they are no better than the $3 filters. I guess that's why they don't advertise "at 20" because it wouldn't be that good?

"Classic" is claimed by Purolator to be 97.5% at 20 microns, and I make an estimate M1 is the same.
http://www.mobil.com/Shared-Files-LCW/mobil-1-ep-oil-filter-design_amer_en.pdf

also found a graph on amazon that lists Fram extra guard == just 95% at 20 microns and Xtended guard == 97% at 20 microns. Not that great (worse than Purokator classic & synthetic respectively).

I wish companies would be consistent in wording. My understanding is that ISO testing uses no dirt sizes between 5, 10, 20 and 25. Saying "filters greater than 20" really means "filters at 25" because that's the next size in the standard sample. (But I might be wrong here.)
Frustrating..... if PureOne would stop tearing, I'd stick with it. My engine's only 90hp so maybe the filter isn't tearing

Last edited:
I found this in a 2007 Mobil 1 advertisement at 25 microns (not 20 which is harder to pass)
99.7 Fram Extra Guard & Pennzoil regular (yellow)
99.6 M1 and Purolator Classic
98.2 Wix regular & Napa gold

Mobil is comparing their expensive filter to the cheap ones. They advertise in this PDF they are no better than the $3 filters. I guess that's why they don't advertise "at 20" because it wouldn't be that good?

"Classic" is claimed by Purolator to be 97.5% at 20 microns, and I make an estimate M1 is the same.
http://www.mobil.com/Shared-Files-LCW/mobil-1-ep-oil-filter-design_amer_en.pdf

Guy on the Mobil filter helpline said the 7-year old info about the 25 microns stuff is out of date, obsolete info. See my earlier post.

I might add, older sources of info on the web, 5 year old stuff, used >25 microns, no longer accurate. ...Anyway, M1 very similar to Fram TG in the TG8765 size and probably others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back