2012 Honda Civic Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter will be going away to college this fall and will be driving this car. I had intended on replacing the Battery before then as preventative maintenance, but it died today. I drove the car yesterday and it seemed fine. I had been charging it with a smart charger once a month or so, but I guess that two summers in the desert heat were too much for it. It measured 11.4 volts when I tested it with a cheap DVM and wouldn't crank the starter at all. It was the OEM Honda Battery (Group 51R) made by Johnson Controls and was made in January 2012 if I am reading the date code correctly.
rvikae.jpg

1o3ss4.jpg

I replaced with a Walmart Everstart made by Johson Controls for $105
20f214j.jpg

I had a Battery last about 5 years once, but most seem to have a lifespan of between 1 and 3 years since I moved to the desert. Before that I never thought about Batteries and they seemed to last forever.

That's desert heat. Every 8 degrees celsius over 25 that you stay at roughly halves the battery life by doubling the rate of degrading reactions. Plus self discharge occurs faster, and the necessary charge voltages drop, which a car alternator may not do properly...

Good luck with the wm battery. I did t have luck with two of them in my truck, but at least with receipt, you know she will be able to find a place to swap it... What tools are you sending her off with?

The 2013-2014 Accord has the same battery 51R. Looking around the battery area I think a slightly larger battery(about 1.0-1.2" longer and 0.8-1.0" wider) with higher reserve capacity can fit.

Did you try to measure the battery area to see if a larger one can fit ?

My S2000 has battery 51, there is no room for larger battery.

Heat kills batteries.

I got 7 years out of a Honda OEM (Panasonic) battery but this car did 95% highway driving. JC makes very good batteries, especially if you get a 'fresh' one.

Dang, here in the Midwest,I can usually get at least 5 years out of them.

If the civic is anything like my Element, you can fairly easily shoehorn in a larger battery by removing the plastic battery shroud. I'm running a Costco sourced 24F sized battery. 700cca. Although, if heat is your problem, a larger battery may not last too much longer.

I wonder where the heat comes from, and if insulation would help. Though I think the heat comes from "all over" and the soak would still get it.

Shame that battery is 3/4 the size of a "real" one but just as expensive.
frown.gif

If I were you I would try and find quality batteries with a 3 yr free replacement. Walmart is 2 yr on the MAXX I believe.

I buy MAXX as I live in the northeast and my batteries do not die from the desert heat.

Originally Posted By: Donald
A voltmeter is not a great way to tell the condition of a battery unless it reads a low voltage. You need a load tester or conductive battery tester or hydrometer.

Sure, a voltmeter isn't end all, be all, but at this sort of voltage, it's indicator enough that something isn't right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back