pennzoil ultra-platinum, higher VI higher & noack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few thoughts:

#1 Pennzoil have dropped the ball here on Ultra. There is no value proposition vs Platinum except marketing. It is no coincidence that Mobil reduced the price of EP in Walmart and Castrol have rolled out EP. New Ultra is DOA. We saw it, Mobil and Castrol saw it. Just Pennzoil are blind here. Follow manufacturer guidance typically means 5000 miles / 6 months. Mobil have enough confidence when you are out of warranty to say go 3 times further for 2 times longer. This is a huge difference!

#2 it won't matter a dot for the average customer but the forever changing formulations means even those interested are thoroughly confused as to why buy PUP over PYB. One thing I hope is that they don't play around with the Euro 5w40 because any time that is changed, Mercedes say it needs to be retested but I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. The bottles still say SM on them but SOPUS say that its SN.

#3 overall I am more and more inclined to go with M1 in future. Obtaining PU 5w40 has been nothing but a pain. Mobil provide transparent and consistent information, give a straightforward 15k miles guarantee on EP, and stocks Walmart with virtually all their oils at $25 everyday.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
It also says follow the OEM recommended drain interval. I guess that answers the question if they market this for extended drains....

Yep. It does.
Stock up on old ultra while you can. It should be getting cleared out at rock bottom prices.
Looks like M1 and Castrol rule the extended drain market.

What about QSUD, is that changing formulation as well? It's about $5/quart at Walmart and has a NOACK of 8.8?
I mean is that stuff going to be better then it's pennzoil counterparts?

Where did you see a Noack for QSUD that low? The published TDS for 5w/20 is 14%.

Pqia 5w30

What about QSUD, is that changing formulation as well? It's about $5/quart at Walmart and has a NOACK of 8.8?
I mean is that stuff going to be better then it's pennzoil counterparts? [/quote]

Where did you see a Noack for QSUD that low? The published TDS for 5w/20 is 14%. [/quote]
Pqia 5w30 [/quote]

Thanks! Another data point, another reason for confusion. Guess we never really know what's in that SOPUS bottle, do we?

I am about to send in for my first Blackstone report on the Ultra 5W-30 Euro formula after a 5K OCI in my 370Z with the VQ37 engine.
I was hoping to find a slightly less expensive alternate to Redline that still performed well. Long oil changes are not my goal, but rather a robust oil that holds up to the high temps that the VQ37 engines generate along with other factors that are rough on oil.
Another factor is consumption; it may be coincidental and based upon the engine finally settling down at about 35K miles, but I only used about 1/3 qt of Ultra vs. about 3/4 to 1 qt. of the Redline between changes. It will be interesting to see what the Blackstone report looks like compared to the last few with Redline but now it may be moot if the new PUP 5W-30 isn't as good as the Ultra Euro 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Since now SOPUS is paying DEXOS royalties. I will no longer buy Ultra.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Formula Shell line of things. Personally, I don't have a problem with the dexos1 thing. If PU is going to be their flagship product, it should have it. But, like I said, there's nothing wrong with Formula Shell.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: sopususer
Here is a link to the 5W-30 info.

Looks like it's NOACK #'s are also higher than the old formula. Guess SOPUS had to cut a corner somewhere because it looks like the new PUP is going to be dexos1 certified. Got to pay GM the fee somehow.

PUP 5W-30 TDS

Bummer. Looks like SOPUS is trading off low NOACK for high VI and cold flow properties. I was thinking that Platinum Ultra was just going to be Ultra rebadged. Time to go stock up on old Ultra.

Agreed, it looks more like the new Ultra is the old PP. They changed the formula alright by lowering the standard, it looks like a scam.
Time to buy the old stuff if possible then drop em, let this stuff collect dust on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: sopususer
Here is a link to the 5W-30 info.

Looks like it's NOACK #'s are also higher than the old formula. Guess SOPUS had to cut a corner somewhere because it looks like the new PUP is going to be dexos1 certified. Got to pay GM the fee somehow.

PUP 5W-30 TDS

Bummer. Looks like SOPUS is trading off low NOACK for high VI and cold flow properties. I was thinking that Platinum Ultra was just going to be Ultra rebadged. Time to go stock up on old Ultra.

Agreed, it looks more like the new Ultra is the old PP. They changed the formula alright by lowering the standard, it looks like a scam.
Time to buy the old stuff if possible then drop em, let this stuff collect dust on the shelf.

If that's the case it is very disappointing. It seems something similar to what Castrol did to SM Edge. Several of us felt the change from SM to SN was a step in the wrong direction. It looks like the bean counters at SOPUS won. I will continue to use sticking to Mobil 1 and Havoline synthetic.

Not a problem. I like Mobil 1 anyway so no loss.
The thing that PO's me more than anything is they (Pennzoil) come on here talking about earth shaking news then foist this on us.

I know it sounds harsh but really that PDS is no better than any other synthetic. I certainly wont make a special trip or pay the long dollar for it.
IMHO if SOPUS though the old PU collected dust they ain't seen nothing yet.

Not a problem. I like Mobil 1 anyway so no loss.
The thing that PO's me more than anything is they (Pennzoil) come on here talking about earth shaking news then foist this on us.

I know it sounds harsh but really that PDS is no better than any other synthetic. I certainly wont make a special trip or pay the long dollar for it.
IMHO if SOPUS though the old PU collected dust they ain't seen nothing yet.

I hear ya buddy, and I agree. What makes me laugh is we have all these discussions that would lead people to believe oil companies make the very best products they can, leaving nothing out, and improving things going forward. Then they pull a stunt like this. It looks like they improved the profit margin going forward. It makes me wonder. LOL I'm sure flames are coming, I hope not. Anyway it's JMO.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum looks exceedingly mediocre on paper. Pennzoil goes from offering arguably the best SN/GF-5 5W-20 & 5W-30 synthetics to just another mediocre also ran. It just smacks of marketing and accounting.

I guess next time will be my first Mobil 1 oil change since 2006, thanks Pennzoil.

Mediocre on paper -- agreed. But I think people should give it a shot and see how it performs in service. Might be surprising.

Doubtful. Ultra already performed well in the real world and it doesn't look like even Pennzoil marketing is claiming any real improvements over Ultra. It's most likely what it appears to be, a cheapened product.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Doubtful. Ultra already performed well in the real world and it doesn't look like even Pennzoil marketing is claiming any real improvements over Ultra. It's most likely what it appears to be, a cheapened product.

Yup,all this talk,etc and this is the end result? Not impressed.

I'm glad I've still got 12 jugs of old ultra. And I'm extra glad I got rikstaker doing runs to America and hooking me up with jugs of M1 0w-40.
I might have to swallow my Mobil dislike.
M1 was my favorite oil for years til the whole castrol thing and now it seems its only them and Amsoil that will guarantee their oils run out to a prescribed mileage,which I feel a premium product should do.
I guess tig will get a grin out of this.
Hail Mobil!
I just puked a bit in my mouth.

Mobil 1 is the sale leader in synthetic oil market for some reasons. One of those reasons is it's available in many grade from 0W20 to 0W40, from vanilla M1 to HM and EP.

I like Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra, especially when I can get either for $3/qt or less.

Actually, I like any name brand synthetic oil for less than $3/qt.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I'm glad I've still got 12 jugs of old ultra. And I'm extra glad I got rikstaker doing runs to America and hooking me up with jugs of M1 0w-40.
I might have to swallow my Mobil dislike.
M1 was my favorite oil for years til the whole castrol thing and now it seems its only them and Amsoil that will guarantee their oils run out to a prescribed mileage,which I feel a premium product should do.
I guess tig will get a grin out of this.
Hail Mobil!
I just puked a bit in my mouth.

lol..thanks.
smile.gif
I think I am gonna hunt down the old ultra and stockpile it this run...
smile.gif

So just ignore the top notch detergent/AW system and Seq IIIG/IVA performance of this oil just because Noack is a bit higher? lol I've always been a M1 person, but I have no issues at all with the new PUP. M1 0w40 is still king of 0w40's though.
grin.gif

Quote:
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is formulated to contain additional cleansing technology and additional friction modifier to maintain lower friction between moving parts.

PUP could be a better oil despite the increase in Noack.

Quote:
The key difference between Pennzoil Platinum® with PurePlus™ Technology and competitive PAO formulations rests with the additive chemistry that is paired with the PurePlus Base Oils. The synergy of PurePlus Base Oils and our best additive chemistry, in the Pennzoil line up of products, results in a fully synthetic motor

Originally Posted By: buster
So just ignore the top notch detergent/AW system and Seq IIIG/IVA performance of this oil just because Noack is a bit higher? lol I've always been a M1 person, but I have no issues at all with the new PUP. M1 0w40 is still king of 0w40's though.
grin.gif

PUP could be a better oil despite the increase in Noack.

Significantly increased NOACK, marginally worse CCS and MRV, same sequence IIIG claims. It's not looking good for PUP in comparison to PU.

That's marketing for us, I guess. No one wants to publicize an incremental change or a slight tweak. It's always ground breaking, you know.

I know there's disappointment at the NOACK going up, if that's indeed the case. It's still going to be relatively impressive and the VI is increasing.

If we shouldn't be focusing on one value (i.e. the regular hits at VI here), then we should be focusing on NOACK least of all. If one wants to see some really impressive NOACKs, it's easy to do, even with conventional. Buy a 20w-50 or a monograde.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back