M/T tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im starting to go crossed eyed looking at tires this week, Im highly considering buying a set of 17 inch rims for my 06 silverado and setting some M/T's on them. My reason is simple enuff, i had a VERY aggressive A/T two years ago on my truck and replaced them with a pretty tame A/T tire. the difference offroad was noticeavle instantly. Now my A/T are great in a dry cornfield or the street and even on the interstate, and im not looking to replace them, however they are not great in snow, slush, and esp Mud. I deer hunt in wet muddy cornfields and live down gravel roads.. Ive made due with sand bags in the bed with the A/T tires. Id like to just buy a second set of tires and rims and simply swap out in October and go back in March/April. However as i mentioned im going crosseyed looking at M/T tires on different sites. Im not putting these on a bogger, or a serious off road toy, but id like to have confidence when off road that im not going to get hung up..
Q do most M/T tires measure up about the same off road ?
Q what about "house brands" ?

My truck is NOT a dedicated daily driver, my Accord handles those duties, however when the weather turns bad im not afraid to get the truck out of the garage, and of course its off road alot in deer season.

They will likely dry rot before i get them to half life so i dont see myself buying the $200 + per tire names.. these tires are likey to get 2,000 to 4,000 a year (if that) put on them and they will NOT see interstate duty unless the weather is to foul to be out in a car and i have to get on the open road for some odd reason.

Opinions ?

MT tires are only OK in deep snow. In slush or light snow, or on ice, the sipes and tread compound really make a difference and dedicated snow tires are far better in those conditions. But most snow tires don't work well in mud - they pack mud into the sipes and grooves...and then they're done

That said, my BFG AT KOs are pretty good in snow, and pretty good off road, while still being decent on road...they might be what you're looking for...a good tire for snow, dirt, gravel...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
MT tires are only OK in deep snow. In slush or light snow, or on ice, the sipes and tread compound really make a difference and dedicated snow tires are far better in those conditions. But most snow tires don't work well in mud - they pack mud into the sipes and grooves...and then they're done

That said, my BFG AT KOs are pretty good in snow, and pretty good off road, while still being decent on road...they might be what you're looking for...a good tire for snow, dirt, gravel...

Im very familiar with the BFG's and honestly, im looking at stuff more aggressive, Your AT/KO's are a well know tire for trail rigs, and a very popular "do it all tire" thats been around forever.. I currently have Cooper AT/3's and in my humble opinion they are 85% street and 15% offroad.. I appreciate your suggestion but i think i want something more aggressive on this second set of rims, strictly for the snowy/muddy/nasty offroad Indiana winters.

The off-road aspects of any tire are only as good imho, as the rest of the gearing and suspension set-up,articulation ..locker ,open or l/s ,weight distribution and the air-down ability of the carcass itself.
That said ,I've run cheap openlug tires that were very good and expensive complex tread patterns that were just not up to snuff.

I really think each setup has it's own sweet spot for tire size weight lug type and void ratio based on the vehicle its on.

For example a lightweight truck with wide tires might "float" on top of the mud and not seek deeper purchase until its too late ..while a heavy truck and narrower but taller tires might dig too fast vertically .This is also based on the type off mud.Sand flotation ,no-brainer but that bottomless gumbo that's another story.

edit: try for the tire that'll self clean in the sticky stuff ,high-void semi-directional,but enough edges to bite in sand or slush.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
The off-road aspects of any tire are only as good imho, as the rest of the gearing and suspension set-up,articulation ..locker ,open or l/s ,weight distribution and the air-down ability of the carcass itself.
That said ,I've run cheap openlug tires that were very good and expensive complex tread patterns that were just not up to snuff.

I really think each setup has it's own sweet spot for tire size weight lug type and void ratio based on the vehicle its on.

For example a lightweight truck with wide tires might "float" on top of the mud and not seek deeper purchase until its too late ..while a heavy truck and narrower but taller tires might dig too fast vertically .This is also based on the type off mud.Sand flotation ,no-brainer but that bottomless gumbo that's another story.

stock 06 Silverado with 3 inches of leveling kit on the front and 1.5 inch blocks on the back. Ive had 33's in Kumho A/T under it before in a 325 70 18 before and you could point it at just about anything and go. Now it has 265 70 or 75 18's under it in Cooper AT3's and i find myself using the 4X4 more and adding 400-500lbs worth of sandbags now.

Those Kumhos were nasty looking, you would have sworn they were M/T's.. I wouldnt want to run them year round though..

Check out Goodyear Duratracs. They're not MTs, but they are very aggressive ATs and they also carry the severe winter service rating.

gy_wranglerdt_owl_ci2_l.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Check out Goodyear Duratracs. They're not MTs, but they are very aggressive ATs and they also carry the severe winter service rating.

[URL]http://m.goodyear.com/assets/mobile/img/tires/large/product-354-prodpage.png[/URL][IMG]

+1

My friend has these on his Cherokee. I'm not much of a Goodyear fan, but the Duratracs are GREAT tires.

I have come to like Mickey Thompson tires and plan to buy the new ATZ P3 for my F150 next year. I run Baja Claws on my trail Jeep.

I can see the Kumhos have more interlocking lug notches than the coopers do and they look a bit more aggressive as well.That might be just the right mix.

The Mastercraft Courser C/T is another good choice for an all-terrain. The last set I got had 20/32" of tread depth. Mmmmm.

Giving up some off-road capability for great on-road snow traction, the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor is my favorite A/T for all around use.

For a hunting season only set of wheels just buy a cheap M/T, the wider the lugs the better. Any A/T type tire is going to require a lot of wheel speed to clean itself which is not what you're looking for. I've run M/T's from Mastercraft, Mud King, Dunlop, Goodyear, BFG, Dueler, Mickey, Swamper, etc., etc. I think you explained perfectly what I've been through at times and don't want to spend $1200 on hunting tires. I had 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers on a locked F-150 before and it was unstoppable. When those tires wore out I bought new A/T tires/wheels and put cheap 35" house brand M/Ts (don't even remember the brand) on the old wheels and ran them for 3 hunting seasons. Couldn't tell the difference off-road when compared to the more expensive Dunlop.

Last edited:
Wrangler SilentArmor
Wrangler Duratrac
Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure

P.S. If you do end up selecting either Goodyear or Dunlop line of tires, I manage a corporate owned Goodyear store right by the old Indianapolis Airport, I will make sure I give you a nice BITOG discount.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Wrangler SilentArmor
Wrangler Duratrac
Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure

P.S. If you do end up selecting either Goodyear or Dunlop line of tires, I manage a corporate owned Goodyear store right by the old Indianapolis Airport, I will make sure I give you a nice BITOG discount.

has my attention..... do you deal in wheels as well ?

285/75r16 BFG A/T on a gasser F250 with open difs and it went through anything. Into a F150 with 265/70r17 AT3's and we will see. The BFGs were great all around, and great in snow.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

gy_wranglerdt_owl_ci2_l.jpg

Those look perfect for your desired conditions- good open tread for mud, siping and winter service rating for snow.

Get D or E load range with Duratrac. They are a nice (but expensive tire), however, they have problems with sidewalls puncturing.

If they were to do the Kevlar sidewall like their MT/R ... it would be a real winner.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

has my attention..... do you deal in wheels as well ?

I do not. I am however an Tirerack recommended installer. Which means you can buy any wheels online with them and get it shipped to my store. We can install them for you with the tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back