School me on control arm brands....

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the car's updates keep going...

I'm looking to replace the lower control arms on our Cavalier. Seems to make pretty good sense, since I noticed one ball joint has a little play (not bad, but should be replaced sooner than later) and the bushings have seen better days.

Running through Rockauto and AAP, I noticed Dorman and Moog seem to be the most popular. I know moog is good stuff, but what about the other Brands, like Dorman? Figured I asked those who have had the chance to do them....

I second it. Mine didn't last 20k before the bushings were worse off then they were before.

Never heard of Dorman, but have used Moog many times...and never had to replace the part again.

Moog usually is a little more $ than Dorman and I think it worth the extra $. Especially if you pay someone to replace the control arm, you don't usually need to replace it again in 4-5 years.

I replaced both lower control arms on my 2004 Sienna, what a PITA. It would never be worthwhile to save dollars IMO - get the best available aftermarket if you plan to keep the vehicle. I used Raybestos.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Moog usually is a little more $ than Dorman and I think it worth the extra $. Especially if you pay someone to replace the control arm, you don't usually need to replace it again in 4-5 years.

True..and the wife wants to run this until we pretty much have to junk it...so it very could go another 4-5 years.

I'm amazed the current ones have lasted so long...

Many MOOG parts are metal on metal,whereas everybody else is metal on nylon.

Look for the Raybestos or Deeza brands on RA.
Go for the premium or professional grade and they'll be fine.
Moog's hit and miss, and I was unimpressed with Dorman's welds.

I just replaced the Front Lower Control Arms in my Altima with DORMAN. Lifetime Warranty!

MOOG only makes the Left side in their "PROBLEM SOLVER" line for these control arms(even on their website!) though, lifetime warranty as well.

In my application, Raybestos did make both sides but, the warranty was less(1 year, IIRC). And I can't remember the other brands.

AAP only carried DriveWorks brand and the lesser MOOG(R Series) which is supposedly MOOG's economy line(not their "Problem Solver/Higher Line). And the "R Series" were not recomended by those in my circle(more prone to fail sooner)

I didn't have much choice but to use DORMAN, IMHO!
I just replaced these control arms in July 2013 so, only time will tell!

I am experiencing a viberating issue(that I've discussed in another thread) but, I am now thinking it's something else entirely such as struts or strut caps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
FYI - Moog suspension parts are made in India.

K ill bite, with me being Indian and all, why is it a bad thing that their parts are produced in India ? ( the whole front end on my Acura is Moog parts, bought before I knew the above said fact )

In the past, I had always used MOOG and TRW for most suspension parts along with Beck/Arnley.

My DORMAN Lower Control Arms were great looking and identical(from what we could tell) to both of the OE arms that we pulled out.

Both myself and buddy inspected the DORMAN prior to the install for anything amiss but, could find nothing to lead us to believe that the DORMAN are inferior in any way. But as I stated, only time will tell.

Had a 4 wheel alignment and it went quickly. I even asked the tech to report anything that may not have been quiet right(in his opinion). I let him know that I had some concerns about the DORMAN being inferior but, nothing to report!

Maybe DORMAN is HIT or MISS and I got lucky...IDK!
I bought my lower control arms from RA and, they had the little red hearts next to them...if this means anything to shoppers!

Last edited:
I just had Dorman control arms put in the Tracker, that's as cheap as my mechanic would recommend. I only want a few more years out of it so I guess they will be fine.
Right now it drives well atleast.

Go with the Dorman because of the lifetime warranty, just keep the boxes they came in as it makes it much easier to deal with RA for any warranty claims. I found this out when I had to warranty a Mevotech control arm and they gave me grief about not having the original packaging.

Of the 8 control arms on the Audi, 6 of them are Dormans. The other two are not yet made by Dorman, that's why I had to go with Mevotech. Mevotech had the next best warranty at 5 years. No issues yet with the Dormans, but I've only had them 2 months so far. If they only last a year or two, no biggie as I can get them replaced and I do all the labor.

Merkava,

Many Moog parts are made in the US. They have two lines. Their RK part numbers are going to be made overseas. Their K part numbers are typically made in the US. For example on my '01 Ranger, upper control arms K80054/K80052, are made in USA but lower control arms RK620499/RK620498 & upper RK80054/RK80052 are made in China. Also, lower ball joint K8771T & lower ball joint K8738 are made in USA.

Dorman makes all the HELP! stuff. From what I understand, it's good quality.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
FYI - Moog suspension parts are made in India.

K ill bite, with me being Indian and all, why is it a bad thing that their parts are produced in India ? ( the whole front end on my Acura is Moog parts, bought before I knew the above said fact )

Not trying to be offensive, but I think the main issue is that the business culture there seems to try to "pull one over" on a customer more often, or not take responsibility for a problem unless they absolutely can't wiggle out of it.
Does this matter for simple suspension parts? Maybe not, if the importer has a good QC program, but for many large complex engineering projects, India and China are not on the list of approved supplier countries for some western companies. The savings aren't worth the potential risks of failing components in the field.
This is probably changing too, but reputations take a long time to change.

I'm sure Indian products can be good, if motivated. After WWII Japanese optical products (binoculars, camera lenses, etc.) were junk. American buyers (department store agents, camera stores, etc.)insisted on the 99 cent product, to maximize the profit. Japanese producers complied, even though they preferred to sell a much better $1.99 product. Both products would be (e.g.) $9.99 retail, with the department store making the profit. The Japanese government set up an optical standards institute, and forbade export unless the product complied. The producer could still sell for 99 cents, but it would cost $1.99 to make. Japanese "junk" disappeared.India positions itself as the 99 cent producer, and people buy there because it is the cheapest possible place, and often get what they expect.

I don't think it has to do with the people of the COO being able to produce high quality goods or not. But when American companies shift production to developing countries, its typically not to increase quality but rather to cut cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back