PP 0w20 vs M1 AFE 0w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
TIG calm down,
there are 50 different oils on the market that would make the filler hole just as clean.
You always tout your pictures. THEY MEAN NOTHING TO ME! I could use Supertech and produce similar results. You spend to much on oil.
Some of the latest amsoil data shows Castrol GTX better than M1 in catagories. Is Amsoil lying? Are they tests not factual?
I don't know how to link or I would post it.

If you will notice(again you are not reading my post)I never critize another product. I only report on what I have used. You really need to be more factual.

Dusty. The application is a huge part of how an oil performs.
For example Toyota relishes their mpg's,so they custom tailored an oil that has a high viscosity index and high in friction modifiers so the engines have as little drag at start up as possible which can have a significant effect on how the EPA tests and rates fuel consumption. An oil with a lower viscosity index and less moly will consume more fuel at start up until the oil has reached operating temp,at that point the ht/hs value has more bearing on pumping resistance.
And just because you choose to ignore tigs pics doesn't mean someone else won't find value in them. His opinion is just as important as yours and he doesn't feel the need to capitalze(yell) when posting his opinion.
Now dusty I may just agree with your views on Mobil 1 products however any recommendation a member makes in a thread should stand on its own,and not screamed from the rooftops,especially if you,or I,don't agree.
I mirror your feelings as far as most Mobil products go however I don't feel the need to take tig to task based on my differing opinion. He's had fantastic results using M1 and his pics deserve every bit as much attention as anyone else's do.
I'm not trying to fight with you dusty,I just don't like how you are treating tig. Its uncalled for,he has every right to posts his experiences,just as you or I,and I don't think he should be treated in this manner based on a differing of opinion.
And tig. Your experience with Mobil products is likely second to none on this site. You have been brand loyal for decades and your posts reflect your extensive knowledge using M1 lubricants,so don't let anyone get to you.
Your opinion is as valuable as anyone else's so don't allow anyone's bias,including mine,to affect whatever you choose to post.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
And tig. Your experience with Mobil products is likely second to none on this site. You have been brand loyal for decades and your posts reflect your extensive knowledge using M1 lubricants,so don't let anyone get to you.
Your opinion is as valuable as anyone else's so don't allow anyone's bias,including mine,to affect whatever you choose to post.
grin.gif

What extensive knowledge? He gives us virtually no real information but posts and reposts it 10,000 times. All we really know is he does 10k OCI's and has for years, the engines appear clean through the fill hole, and none of his engines have ever blown up. We don't even have a single UOA. I could likely accomplish the same thing on Quaker State green bottle. Posts earlier today indicated he didn't even realize most M1 brews are largely Grp III. That's not extensive knowledge, it's fanaticism.

But he is entitled to his opinion I agree.

I have a super-lead foot. My Prius calls for 10k intervals on 0w-20. I am usually 1/2 qt low after 10k with Mobil 1 0w20 or Toyota 0w20. I have 9k on my current fill of PP 0w20 and the level has not moved at all.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
grin.gif

What extensive knowledge? He gives us virtually no real information but posts and reposts it 10,000 times. All we really know is he does 10k OCI's and has for years, the engines appear clean through the fill hole, and none of his engines have ever blown up. We don't even have a single UOA. I could likely accomplish the same thing on Quaker State green bottle. Posts earlier today indicated he didn't even realize most M1 brews are largely Grp III. That's not extensive knowledge, it's fanaticism.

x10 Pictures of "fill holes through valve covers" do not mean a single thing.Not sure why people waste their time and energy even posting them.Tear that engine down,lets see it,then and only then will I be impressed!

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I have a super-lead foot. My Prius calls for 10k intervals on 0w-20. I am usually 1/2 qt low after 10k with Mobil 1 0w20 or Toyota 0w20. I have 9k on my current fill of PP 0w20 and the level has not moved at all.

Yup,gotta be careful with all of that "power" those Prius have
wink.gif

grin.gif

Fair enough,and I'm not going to disagree however my comment is true. He's been using the same stuff for 30 years,so he is likely the most experienced member on the board using the same product,never using anything else.
Your right though,he isn't familiar with mobil's cheapened formulation however his experience(30+ years) has gotta count for something right.
And I also agree a tear down would tell the real story however I don't see that happening.

I might be wrong but a lot of the motivation in threads is getting recognized. Much like the home run derby is with the All Star game next week here in Queens.

grin.gif

Since the only value I have here is meaningles, and QS green bottle is great, then here's more of my useless experience. In the 60s I used QS in a Slant 6 Valiant with 2K OCIs. After 50K on the the engine QS left serious sludge that had to be scooped out with a spoon. However todays QS is vastly improved and a quality product. Not that I have "extensive knowledge" of modern QS, but thats what I'm told here on BITOG.

Also M1 oils are not "largely Grp 3". you would have learned that if you had read all the post in this thread.

I went with PP 0w20...Got it at Walmart in the 5 quart jug and had a $4 off coupon.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I went with PP 0w20...Got it at Walmart in the 5 quart jug and had a $4 off coupon.

Either one would have been a great choice, you really couldn't go wrong either way.
smile.gif

Good call. Best not to go too thin in a severe service application,113,000 miles,and a motor that sees some revs. Wearing the motor out is less,likely,than burning,or leaking oil in your situation. I'd go back to a 5w-20 next change. Jmo.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
Yup,gotta be careful with all of that "power" those Prius have
wink.gif

The plural of Prius is Prii, pronounced "pre-eye". Same thing with Taurus:Tauri and Focus:Foci.

I can't believe I just posted that.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Good call. Best not to go too thin in a severe service application,113,000 miles,and a motor that sees some revs. Wearing the motor out is less,likely,than burning,or leaking oil in your situation. I'd go back to a 5w-20 next change. Jmo.

Why would you recommend a 5w-20 over 0w-20? I would like to know. I picked up the 0w-20 because the majority (90% or more) of my trips will be 2 miles or less, most being 1 mile or less. I figured the lighter weight on start up would be beneficial. Why would a 5w-20 be any better? I wish pennzoil made the ultra in 0w-20 that would be awesome. Im going to use my pennzoil ultra 5w20 (got it free from pennzoil, only have enough for one more oil change) then start using the PP 0w20 from hear on out year round.

Why would you recommend a 5w-20 over 0w-20? I would like to know. I picked up the 0w-20 because the majority (90% or more) of my trips will be 2 miles or less, most being 1 mile or less. I figured the lighter weight on start up would be beneficial. Why would a 5w-20 be any better? I wish pennzoil made the ultra in 0w-20 that would be awesome. Im going to use my pennzoil ultra 5w20 (got it free from pennzoil, only have enough for one more oil change) then start using the PP 0w20 from hear on out year round.

Use what you have,your over analyzing this,seriously.

PU has started to reappear at a few Walmart's. You might be in luck if yours is one of them..

I am using what I have...I was asking what the his logic was on the fact that I should switch back to a 5w-20.

I am using what I have...I was asking what the his logic was on the fact that I should switch back to a 5w-20.

If your vehicle is spec'd a 20-weight oil,it doesnt matter,a 5w20 will work just as well as 0w20.Both will get you where you want to be as the motor will outlast the rest of the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back