Subaru Outback 2.5i Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited which requires 0W-20 synthetic. The local Walmarts have Mobile 1, Valvoline SynPower, and Pennzoil Platinum ranging from $22 to $25 for the 5qt jug.

Any advantages to one over the others or any first hand experience to share?

I'm guessing any and all are perfectly fine?

Wife has a 2013 with the 2.5. She bought it last September and my only readily available choice was M1. So her first oil change was with M1 0W-20 AFE. Then Walmart in my area got the Valvoline and PP 0W-20. Since I'm partial to SOPUS products it was PP for us. The PP warranty $20 rebates didn't hurt either.

Truth is any of the three will do an outstanding job in the Subie. My biggest challenge has been finding filters. I purchased 3 of the black TokyoRoki filters off ebay last fall, but their price has almost doubled on ebay since then. Purolator shows to have a Pureone in development (PL14615). Wix doesn't show a filter for the Legacy/Outback application. Walmart has the Fram Ultra (XG7317) for $8.97. I'll probably go with that unless Purolator comes through before I use up my TokyoRoki filters.

Even though the filters are somewhat hard to find at least they're easy to change on the new FB motors.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I use Amsoil 0w20. Sign up as an amsoil preferred customer and you can buy pretty cheap. I like a little higher HT/HS rate that is in the Amsoil

If you can get it, I'd use Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0w20. QSUD is, in my opinion based on the specs UOA info, the best bang for the buck synthetic oil right now.

Originally Posted By: Hollow
I'd say any oil mentioned in this thread could do the factory OCI of 7500 miles/7.5 months.

Agreed. Unless you're taking only short trips or doing something else to put yourself in the severe service category, stick to 7,500 after getting the factory fill out at 3,750.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I'd say any oil mentioned in this thread could do the factory OCI of 7500 miles/7.5 months.

Agreed. Unless you're taking only short trips or doing something else to put yourself in the severe service category, stick to 7,500 after getting the factory fill out at 3,750.

I asked the dealer about an early oil change and they (and the owner's manual) say first change isn't necessary until the normal 7500 miles.

Is the early change necessary?

Your dealer IS mistaken. For 2013, Subaru recommends the first oil change be at 3,750 on 4-cylinders and 3,000 on 6-cylinders, with an OCI of 7,500 for normal driving after that.

I have a 2012 Legacy, granted it is a different motor and runs 5w-30, but I changed the FF at 3,000 miles and did another change at 7,500. At that time I switched PP with the goal of going 7,500 between changes, but I will take a close look at things after 5,000 miles.

In my prior two Subura's and all of my other cars I ran dino with 5,000 mile intervals so I figured I should be able to run a quality syn for 7,500

P.S. - Tons of threads on not running M1 in Subaru's, but I think most of those guys had turbo's which was not an option for a Legacy in 2013.

Last edited:
Non turbo 2.5s are as easy an engine on motor oil as it gets n since you're under warranty follow the maximum allowed interval with the synthetic of your choice. With 0w20 your limited but still have great choices. Syn power should be the cheapest but pp would be my first choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Your dealer IS mistaken. For 2013, Subaru recommends the first oil change be at 3,750 on 4-cylinders and 3,000 on 6-cylinders, with an OCI of 7,500 for normal driving after that.

Show me the Subaru document that says that. We just discussed this over on NASIOC, the oil chart I viewed on mysubaru.com today says only the 6 cyl gets the initial 3,000 mi oil change. In 2011 the FB25 had a 3,750 recommended first oil change. That was changed in 2012 to 7,500 mi.

Originally Posted By: jrsdws
Originally Posted By: Bandito440

I asked the dealer about an early oil change and they (and the owner's manual) say first change isn't necessary until the normal 7500 miles.

Is the early change necessary?

Well, you don't need to do it in order to keep your warranty. I can't see wanting to keep all the break-in metals in your car for 7,500 miles though. Change it at 3,750 to keep a happy Subie.

First oil change interval hit last weekend and I went with the Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE and the OEM filter. I also added the Fumoto Valve while I was at it. This car already has the easiest oil change ever.

The M1 is running nice and quiet in the Outback.

Originally Posted By: sopususer
Wife has a 2013 with the 2.5. She bought it last September and my only readily available choice was M1. So her first oil change was with M1 0W-20 AFE. Then Walmart in my area got the Valvoline and PP 0W-20. Since I'm partial to SOPUS products it was PP for us. The PP warranty $20 rebates didn't hurt either.

Truth is any of the three will do an outstanding job in the Subie. My biggest challenge has been finding filters. I purchased 3 of the black TokyoRoki filters off ebay last fall, but their price has almost doubled on ebay since then. Purolator shows to have a Pureone in development (PL14615). Wix doesn't show a filter for the Legacy/Outback application. Walmart has the Fram Ultra (XG7317) for $8.97. I'll probably go with that unless Purolator comes through before I use up my TokyoRoki filters.

Even though the filters are somewhat hard to find at least they're easy to change on the new FB motors.
smile.gif

Wix is making them now with 27 PSI by-pass valve setting....Wix is the only one that comes close to Subarus high PSI

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=57055

Originally Posted By: Burden24
Originally Posted By: sopususer

smile.gif

Wix is making them now with 27 PSI by-pass valve setting....Wix is the only one that comes close to Subarus high PSI

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=57055

Yeah, I know they introduced the 57055 on September 3rd. I imagine they'll be out in the marketplace soon. I spoke to the local NAPA store and they said they had their first shipment of Napa Gold 7055's (same filter) coming in next week. That's what I plan on using for the reason you mention... the bypass setting. Now if Purolator would get the 14615 out there would be two really good options.

New Wix 57055

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back