Primacy MXM4 or what and when?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I put a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4s on my boss's 2008 VW Passat.

Are these H or V rated?

I believe OEMs are 97H rated.

I put a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4s on my boss's 2008 VW Passat. That was 17,000 miles ago, and today, the tires still have 8/32" on all 4 corners. The car received an alignment about 7k after the tires were installed, and rotations every 7-8k. Noise, handling and steering response have not changed since new - which is very impressive. Traction is phenomenal for an all-season. I truly believe that these are the best all-seasons you can put on a daily driver.

I have a set of these, in 215/45-17 87W, and my only disappointment is with steering response, which is a bit sluggish.

I have been running a set of the MXM's on the Saab for a couple years. Not that noisy, wearing evenly, fine in the dry and wet, slightly stiffer than the P6/Navigator Golds that were on each axle. These tires have been honestly lousy in the snow, enough so that I'm considering buying a set of snows in a town where people usually don't bother.

Too much confusion in here...

the mxm4's arent the same

there is 3 tires with that name

the newer ones came out in 2010 or 2011.

I think most people are talking about the PILOT HX MXM4

The primacy MXM4 are really good tires. but most people confuse them with the older mediocre models.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mason1125
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
I put a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4s on my boss's 2008 VW Passat.

Are these H or V rated?

I believe OEMs are 97H rated.

Correct - the size is 215/55-16 97H XL. A lot of people miss the 97 XL requirement for this application.

I've used and recommended the Yokohama AVID series of tires with good results. I believe they make the AVID Ascend in your size. They get very good survey results on Tire Rack, are made in the US (ones I got in the past were), and are relatively inexpensive.

Another alternative might be the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus. Much the same can be said of them, great survey results and relatively inexpensive. Not sure where they are made, the high-performance Bridgestones I run on my S2000 are made in Japan, but not all of their tires are.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

The primacy MXM4 are really good tires. but most people confuse them with the older mediocre models.

I was referring to the Primacy mxm4 tires, indeed. In my application, they've been frankly awful in the winter compared to what was there before and otherwise good.

The Primacy MXM4 is an awesome tire and what I would pick if cost is no object.

Even though the MXV4's last longer in terms of tread life, they are deceptively longer-lasting because ALL tires, even Michelin tires, start to develop cracks after 10 years. So even though you'll still have more than half of the tread life left after that time, you'll still need to replace the tires.

In light of that, go with the MXM4 and take the extra handling that comes with it (the MXM4 is supposed to be 'sportier' than the MXV4). They will still make it to that 10-year point and you get a better-handling tire as well.

Both tires are good picks, and you cannot go wrong with either.

For a lower-priced alternative, try the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum. I call it the poor man's MXV4 because that's pretty much what it is. They also cost about half as much as the Michelins. Kumho is a world-class name-brand tire, at least as good as Conti. You will not be disappointed with this "Korean MXV4". Also, it is rated W instead of H or V like the Michelins. As far as country goes, most Continental tires are made in Czech, Mexico and Brazil, which are about the same in those terms as South Korea.

The General Altimax HP is a good tire at a great price, *if* you get free lifetime rotation and balancing. The reason is because the Altimax HP is a directional tire which cannot be rotated without being taken off the rim to be rebalanced and put on the other way. Otherwise it is a good tire. Continental owns General Tire.

Another popular tire is the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. It is said to be pretty good in snow for an all-season tire.

tl;dr: get either the MXM4 or the Kumho LX Platinum

Correct - the size is 215/55-16 97H XL. A lot of people miss the 97 XL requirement for this application.

The 97 part is what makes it XL. The standard load rating for 205/55-16 is 91-93.

As long as the load index is at least 97 it is OK to use

Originally Posted By: terminaldegree
I have been running a set of the MXM's on the Saab for a couple years. Not that noisy, wearing evenly, fine in the dry and wet, slightly stiffer than the P6/Navigator Golds that were on each axle. These tires have been honestly lousy in the snow, enough so that I'm considering buying a set of snows in a town where people usually don't bother.

I was impressed with how my saab did in the snow with the oe p6 tires on it. The rabbit has conti tires on it and has done well in the snow, but we never got a set of snows for it, so snow performance (mild stuff) is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back