Amsoil 10w30 and others 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Hayabusa which calls for a 10w40 oil. I ran Amsoil 10w40 oil once for about 2k miles until oil started to leak around the oil filter. The dealer changed it for free since it was their mistake with Silkolene Pro Range 10w40. I have put 4k miles on this oil and I’m ready to change in the next 500-1000 miles. I will have a UOA done to see how it held up

I’m, thinking about trying Amsoil 10w30 with the belief that it will be pretty shear resistant and may flow better at start-up, or mixing Amsoil 10w30 & 10&40 for lighter weight oil that will still protect well?

If running Amsoi1 10w30 is not idea, will it be ok to run for 2-3k miles to see how it does with a UOA

Also, I see that Amsoil makes a 0w40 that is JASO MA/MA2 certified. Would this oil be suitable to run in a motorcycle? I’m guessing it would shred with such a high spread.

Bike: 2008 Hayabusa
Mileage: 15k
Purpose: commuter and fun

Links to oil data

Amsoil 4 Stroke Power Sports 0w40
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/4-stroke/formula-4-stroke-powersports-0w-40/

Amsoil 10w30 MC Oil
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/motorcycle/10w-30-advanced-synthetic-motorcycle-oil/

Amsoil 10w40 MC Oil
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/motorcycle/10w-40-advanced-synthetic-motorcycle-oil/

All comments are appreciated

Last edited:
K. So a 40 grade is specified. So I'd use either the motorcycle specific stuff or rotella.
I use rotella conventional in all my shared sump bikes,however they aren't a hayabusa however I've used every bike oil out there,including the Amsoil 0w-40.
I change the oil in my shared sump bikes based on top end noise and shift quality. Using rotella I've gone over 5000 before shifting became notchy and top end became noisy,no synthetic ever went that long before these issues presented themselves.
Not very scientific I know but its served me well to this point.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
K. So a 40 grade is specified. So I'd use either the motorcycle specific stuff or rotella.
I use rotella conventional in all my shared sump bikes,however they aren't a hayabusa however I've used every bike oil out there,including the Amsoil 0w-40.
I change the oil in my shared sump bikes based on top end noise and shift quality. Using rotella I've gone over 5000 before shifting became notchy and top end became noisy,no synthetic ever went that long before these issues presented themselves.

Thanks for your input. How was the amsoil 0w40 in your opinion

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
10w-40 Amsoil MCFQT is what they recommend. I would not go with any 30 weight oil in that bike.

+1

I have 2 08 busas. One is basically stock and the other is a 450hp turbo bike I ride on the street. Both get 10w-40 Red Line motorcycle oil with a few ounces of zink and phosphorous break in fluid also added. I change the stock bike every 3000 miles and the turbo bike every 1500 miles. Both bikes run flawless.

Originally Posted By: KJack
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Thanks for your input. How was the amsoil 0w40 in your opinion

I used the 0w-40 in a 750 Honda shadow and a 450 Honda nighthawk. In both bike at around 2000kms shifting became very notchy and top end noise got loud fast.
I've still got 10 quarts of the Amsoil 0w-40 and will be using it in my mustangs this,or next year depending on if I get through my stash.
In general I love Amsoil and their products. I fount that the 0w-40 sheared out of grade very quickly. The motorcycle 10w-40 lasted a bit longer in service before the symptoms I described became noticeable.
For me its cost vs mileage. The conventional rotella lasted longer for me in service,and costs less than half compared to Amsoil. If I could run the Amsoil twice as long in service then cost would be worthwhile however shifting just got to the point that I couldn't get into neutral and had to hammer the gearshift,basically abusing my bikes to get into gears.
Amsoil makes a top quality product but in my application I found the conventional rotella to maintain shift quality for more miles vs Amsoil.
I'm also not saying that the Amsoil will contribute to more wear,all I'm saying is that shift quality was better,for longer with rotella.
I would use Amsoil again if I could get it for around the same price as rotella but cost for me is a real issue,and value of my dollar.
For my money,in my bikes rotella conventional 15w-40 just worked better for me.

I tend to like to run a bit thicker than the 10-40 in my Hayabusas I have owned. But that is just me and I don't fear warranty issues and have always leaned towards thicker oils in bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back