Can I run auto 10w30 in a Kawasaki air cooled?

Kawi actually issued a TSB of sorts of a certain series of engine recommending use of 20w50 oils, instead of the 10w30 that the owners manuals spec'd. I don't recall which line this was, one of their V-twin series. If it were mine, I'd use a w50 oil, regardless of which engine model.

Edit: spelling and stuff, but also to say you should be fine with the 15w40 that you chose.

I'm running Mobil 1 in my Kawasaki 15-50. I let the oil get a bit low once, and the oil was running hotter than normal, and I noticed this because it was leaving a "blue trail" behind me. Likely thinning out. This was fixed immediately by adding more oil. This motor does NOT like thin oil, and I chose an oil with a lot of ZDDP. It's not like a mower has cats.

d277515d6a2d477997fe81a7191e0b08fe6ae845-834x754.png

Mobil1 motorcycle 10w40 is available at most autopart stores and walmart.

Obviously, who can fault Mobil1 15w50, or the 0w40 FS euro oil:

Castrol has their A3/B4 oils in various grades:
https://www.castrol.com/en_us/unite...castrol-edge-brand/castrol-edge-euro-car.html

Valvoline still has good availability with their VR oils that were mentioned already:

Rotella T6 in 5w40, 15w40, or 0w40 are some other choices.

For cold climates, Briggs has an excellent synthetic 5w30, at walfart/lowz/homedespo...., along with a 15w50 that I've never seen on the shelf anywhere.

Kohler dealers should have their 10w50 oil which is another good choice.

Obviously, you can use any of the boutique oils that are not lacking ash or z/p/s additives, or have visc HTHS.... Redline, Amsoil, Torco, HPL, RoyalPurple... all have some, either small engine oils, or higher z/p/s oils, when compared to greenie API oils. Recently got a case of RP SAE40 which found its way into the tractor, lawnmower, and several generators here, replacing sae30's, 5w30's, 10w30's..... and tempted to use it in the cars too.

Ford requires a little more than what API recommends. This is a good list in various grades and types.. which means that any Powerstroke Ford dealer should have the 10w30, 5w40, and 15w40.

Check out Costco for Mobil 1 synthetics. Just got a 6 qt pack of 10w-30 for $34 with a $10 off coupon. You can get it at Costco.com too with free shipping to your doorstrep. They seem to run their coupon specials every few months so I generally buy an extra case if I've none already. Wal-Mart generally has good prices too when they have it.

Kawi actually issued a TSB of sorts of a certain series of engine recommending use of 20w50 oils, instead of the 10w30 that the owners manuals spec'd. I don't recall which line this was, one of their V-twin series. If it were mine, I'd use a w50 oil, regardless of which engine model.

Edit: spelling and stuff, but also to say you should be fine with the 15w40 that you chose.
Probably the FRV series IIRC, there was a thread on that awhile back. I’ve got 10w40 HPL Small Engine Life in mine, which I trust at least as much as any shelf 20w50 to protect my engine.

Straight Dino 30w or 15w40 will work just fine in your Kawi. As far as Syn oil goes anything at a 30w or more will fit the bill. Don't fret the syn or dino part. Check the oil level before you use the machine for the day. Top it off if needed. 99% of engines that I replace were run low or out of oil. Didn't matter as to what brand of oil that was in the engine, just the fact that there wasn't enough oil in the engine period.

I've got an old JD F510 with a Kawasaki motor. I use it for hauling now and when it's cold like around 30F it is very slow to start. Currently 5w30 in it but the oil never gets above 100F in use as it's a stop and start. I ran 0w40 M1 in it for +20 years but seldom used it when cold then. When used for mowing the oil got over 300F before I put an oil cooler on it. Then ran about 200-210F.

Currently have a twin cylinder Kawasaki in a JD 320M. I changed the oil to 5w30 on it at the first oil change when new. 50 hrs on it now. The oil runs hot in the summer at or over 250F after a 1.5 hr mow. I'll be putting a oil cooler on it in the next couple of weeks as we will be mowing here soon. And switching to 5w40 synthetic.

Back