2010 Buick LaCrosse - Penz Platinum 5w30 - 10,569m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my fourth UOA on my 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS. Sorry I was remiss in posting this UOA for a sample I took over a month ago.

Results for this UOA are on the left side and the results from prior UOAs follow on the right. Please note that the prior UOA performed was on the current oil change back at around 50% OLM and this current UOA was done when the OLM hit 2%.

Engine Model: GM LLT 3.6L V6 Direct Injected
Oil: Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 Synthetic
Oil Filter: Purolator PureONE PL12222

Miles on Oil: 10,569
Miles on Engine: 42,067

2-17-13UOA.png

2-17-13UOAGraphs.png

So looks like we got a bit of a surprise with this UOA revealing that the oil contained unwanted high levels of water. Really don't know how that happened, but I'm certainly looking forward to the next UOA to see if this is a trending problem. Anyone have ideas on how this can happen?

Aside from that, it doesn't seem like this brand of oil garnered better results in lowering wear metal contamination. So for this time around, I just used the oil I happened to have a case of in my garage which was Mobil 1 (the non EP flavor this time).

As usual, I appreciate any feedback and advice you all have to give.

Buick-LaCrosse.jpg

Wow. Those are some really high iron numbers. I see you are running roughly 10000 mile drains and it seems both brands didn't do much to help the iron number.
I wonder if maybe an oil with a high moly content would help. Or perhaps try a conventional at half the mileage and see if the iron numbers settle down.
With iron numbers that high I almost expect this engine to dissolve(joking).
Is this common for this particular engine to shed metal like that or do you have a problem.
I'd certainly try something else since neither of these products have done much to lower the iron.
Thanks for posting.

Those numbers have held pretty steady so I would assume it is normal for your engine.
I personally like to search for the "best" oil for my vehicles and have always had good luck with M1 0w40 in ANY engine that calls for 5w30. Not a huge dif but may help with wear.

Change the filter at 3000 miles or install the Fram Ultra or Mobil One or Bosch distance. The filter you are using is only rated for 3ooo miles according to over the phone with Puralator. Good filter just not rated for the mileage and see what happens to the numbers. Why would you not change a filter or buy a inexpensive one with a $30,000 car and high Syn. oil? Maybe you didn't know but the filters are as important as the oil. and the value of the car. The moisture is not a surprise with where you live.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Markzip
Change the filter at 3000 miles or install the Fram Ultra or Mobil One or Bosch distance. The filter you are using is only rated for 3ooo miles according to over the phone with Puralator. Good filter just not rated for the mileage and see what happens to the numbers. Why would you not change a filter or buy a inexpensive one with a $30,000 car and high Syn. oil? Maybe you didn't know but the filters are as important as the oil. and the value of the car. The moisture is not a surprise with where you live.

Wrong. The P1 is good for 3000 OR the specified OEM oci. The filter is not going make that much a difference in regards to wear metals, especially since most of the long distance filters have a lower efficiency rating.

Anyway I suspect the water content has something to do with the fuel dilution, since they didn't test for that and this engine is known for fuel dilution.

Why would you not change a filter or buy a inexpensive one with a $30,000 car and high Syn. oil? Maybe you didn't know but the filters are as important as the oil. and the value of the car. The moisture is not a surprise with where you live.

You would have a field day with the members in the OIL FILTER FORUM. A lot of them are H E L L bent on using the same oil filter for more than (1) OCI, and some, even more!
120.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Why would you not change a filter or buy a inexpensive one with a $30,000 car and high Syn. oil? Maybe you didn't know but the filters are as important as the oil. and the value of the car. The moisture is not a surprise with where you live.

You would have a field day with the members in the OIL FILTER FORUM. A lot of them are H E L L bent on using the same oil filter for more than (1) OCI, and some, even more!
120.gif

Are you saying that they shouldn't follow the car manufacturers recommendation? I'm reading my owner's manual and it says to change every other OC.
07.gif

Originally Posted By: JavierG

120.gif

Are you saying that they shouldn't follow the car manufacturers recommendation? I'm reading my owner's manual and it says to change every other OC.
07.gif

"THEY" can. But nowhere in my manual does it read like that. That, along with common sense and knowing an oil filter is like cheap insurance, will prevent "ME" from using one for more than one OCI!
28.gif

120.gif

07.gif

"THEY" can. But nowhere in my manual does it read like that. That, along with common sense and knowing an oil filter is like cheap insurance, will prevent "ME" from using one for more than one OCI!
28.gif

So YOU should stop criticizing THEM since THEY are not forcing YOU to follow THEIR routine.
spankme2.gif

Oneill, the LaCrosse is probably my favorite Buick. Nice looking car inside and out.

Last edited:
So YOU should stop criticizing THEM since THEY are not forcing YOU to follow THEIR routine.
spankme2.gif

And, YOU should let me act as a member here and voice MY opinion like other members are entitled to, and not worry about it!
34.gif

spankme2.gif

And, YOU should let me act as a member here and voice MY opinion like other members are entitled to, and not worry about it!
34.gif

But YOU are not merely offering an opinion. YOU are criticizing others for THEIR opinion.
34.gif
08.gif
32.gif

spankme2.gif

34.gif

But YOU are not merely offering an opinion. YOU are criticizing others for THEIR opinion.
34.gif
08.gif
32.gif

If you go to the OIL FILTER FORUM you will see my OPINIONS there also. And, as I stated there, I will state here; TO EACH HIS OWN! Until it is proven in a lab by scientist', oil gurus, etc. I will continue to use an oil filter only once! And, I will voice my OPINION, even if YOU CLAIM it's CRITICIZING them, (only your opinion) any way I choose to.
Does it bother you the way I voice my OPINION? If you must know, I am disabled and must sit down 98% of the day. So, with that time I read a lot on my computer, which in turn means I can hash out this conversation with you FOREVER!
34.gif

If you go to the OIL FILTER FORUM you will see my OPINIONS there also. And, as I stated there, I will state here; TO EACH HIS OWN! Until it is proven in a lab by scientist', oil gurus, etc. I will continue to use an oil filter only once! And, I will voice my OPINION, even if YOU CLAIM it's CRITICIZING them, (only your opinion) any way I choose to.
Does it bother you the way I voice my OPINION? If you must know, I am disabled and must sit down 98% of the day. So, with that time I read a lot on my computer, which in turn means I can hash out this conversation with you FOREVER!
34.gif

No actually you will not.

This is the UOA section on the board and you have stated your part as has the other member

So since it is off topic I'm sure both of you are done with the off subject comments OVER AND OVER.

Thanks, Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

34.gif

No actually you will not.

This is the UOA section on the board and you have stated your part as has the other member

So since it is off topic I'm sure both of you are done with the off subject comments OVER AND OVER.

Thanks, Bill

Sorry Bill.
smile.gif

spankme2.gif

34.gif

34.gif
08.gif
32.gif

34.gif

So a car, oil, filter, tire (etc., etc.) manufacturer's recommendation means nothing since you don't trust their engineers. To you red isn't red unless a lab tells you it is. And when did I ask if you were disabled? You seem to be going for the sympathy card now. Well how about this: I apologize. I didn't know you read a lot on your computer. I guess that makes you smarter than me. And again
32.gif

So a car, oil, filter, tire (etc., etc.) manufacturer's recommendation means nothing since you don't trust their engineers. To you red isn't red unless a lab tells you it is. And when did I ask if you were disabled? You seem to be going for the sympathy card now. Well how about this: I apologize. I didn't know you read a lot on your computer. I guess that makes you smarter than me. And again
32.gif

No sympathy required. It was my way of leading up my reason to be able to continue this conversation.
There are many shades of red. Just as there are many car manufacturers. Not ALL of them recommend that an oil filter be used more than once. Did you ever think that they recommend using an oil filter more than once in some ill attempt that it could ruin the engine and Honda (one manufacturer that recommends to use an oil filter more than once)will make money from this? Sure, it sounds far fetched, but it's possible.
Just like an UOA, someone needs or should, come up with a way to test an oil filter. Do you know of any such test out there? If so, I would like to read about it.
The only UOA I have ever performed was on my 97 F150 to determine if coolant was getting in the oil from leaking lower intake gaskets. And, it was.
UOA's are very expensive to do on a fliter at certain intervals of the OCI. Wouldn't it just be safe to just change the oil filter and not have to worry if it is still filtering correctly? And, wouldn't a dirty filter determine the outcome of a UOA? Is this not why we do UOA's, to determine the engines internal condition?
BTW, I am trying to keep this in a UOA perspective, as to which an oil filter can determine the outcome of said UOA.
smile.gif

Guys! PLEASE stop.

If you have any QUESTIONS on UOAs then go to the CORRECT section of the board.

Anything more and that will be it!

ONeill5491,

Previously your last Mobil1 EP UOA had 106ppm Fe. I had suggested you switch to PP and had confidently predicted your Fe levels would come down. I was wrong. Now the question is where to go from here. Stay with PP or change back to M1?

I'm seeing, as others such as Aberns & RBarrios have stated, that this flavor of DI engine, is a fuel-diluting pig, in contrast to the Ford DI engines.

Having said that, I'm speculating that you either:

1. Switch to an oil that is more fuel-tolerant, such as VWB (for that matter SOPUS conventionals, such as QSAD or PYB, may work as well), and reduce the OCI to maybe 50% OLM, or

2. switch to Mobil1 0W-40 which seems, perhaps to its higher starting viscosity, to resist wear from fuel dilution better.

3. or split the difference, for warranty considerations, and go to the cheapest DEXOS oil, Pennzoil Syn-Blend 5W-30, and start with 50% OLM, sample and then, depending on the Fe results/1K, slowly inch your way back up, 10% OLM at a time.

It just seems that these GM DI engines spit out the Fe. But I still think that with the right oil at the right OCI, you can improve on the levels.

Take care,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back