BMW G650GS oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I changed my own oil on my G650GS. Dealer rates are atrocious ($200 or thereabouts), and I got it done for about $30. I might let the dealer check the valves at 12k, but the plugs and filters look easy enough. 3600 miles on the bike, went with Rotella 15w-40 and a BMW filter kit. Shifts real nice, and I can't see the Rotella being anything other than more durable than the BMW 10w-40, by Sikolene. Took about a 350 mile ride the other day, she did real well. We'll see how she holds up, but looking good so far.

Sweet. I'm just waiting for warmer weather to do my oil (Valvoline MC 10w-40) and filter (Genuine BMW). After this I'll use Rotella 15w-40 or maybe consider Delvac 15w-40. The Delvac isn't JASO rated like Rotella but I hear it's still a good choice.

Also will do the coolant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 95busa
Well I changed my own oil on my G650GS. Dealer rates are atrocious ($200 or thereabouts), and I got it done for about $30. I might let the dealer check the valves at 12k, but the plugs and filters look easy enough. 3600 miles on the bike, went with Rotella 15w-40 and a BMW filter kit. Shifts real nice, and I can't see the Rotella being anything other than more durable than the BMW 10w-40, by Sikolene. Took about a 350 mile ride the other day, she did real well. We'll see how she holds up, but looking good so far.

Wow my dealer is a bargain at only $75.00 for my 1,000 mile service oil change. I ended up doing my own oil change at 3200 miles since shifting was so notchy, I went with RedLine 10W40 and it was okay for the first 150 miles then the shifts sucked again. Next time I'm going with Amsoil I've heard so many great stories about how that oil has smoothed out shifting on this specific bike I can't wait to pour it in.

My bike was $175 for the 600 mile service, and more than than for the 6000 (or annual) and more than that for the 12000 (or second annual-major) service. Unsustainable for this guy.

Just recently I stopped by my local BMW dealer to pick up some more oil filters (I change oil in my 535d around half of their interval) and noticed a sign at the service desk that showed diesel oil changes were $339!! Once I'm out of warranty, there's no way I'd pay for an oil change that cost that much. They told me that the price included filling the DEF tank.....lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back