Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 EP or Toyota OEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i will be running either Mobil 1 or PP/PU in my 2002 Sequoia and 2008 Tundra. I'm trying to nail down a filter. I will be performing 7000 mile OCIs for a few runs to get them cleaned out. Then possibly pushing it out a little Ionger. I want to run either a Mobil 1 filter our the Fram ultra but should i look at running an OEM filter?

Dirt Racer i understand people run different filters for different OCIs but i don't understand why spending a few extra bucks on a better filter is a bad thing. Even if its just insurance. I can understand why folks on here get intoto pushing the limits to see what they can accomplish but i don't see myself going that way. I am really new to this and just trying to understand the logic or rather the science behind it.

With that said why would you use the pureones over say a Mobil 1 EP. I understand the Mobil 1is made for longer OCIs. But what benefit would i get from running a pureone besides the cost. Thanks

If you don't mind spending a little more for better filter at 7-12k miles OCI then Fram Ultra is much better than Toyota OEM filter. From all pictures of M1 filter cut open, I don't think it's as good as Fram Ultra and costs more.

Filters get more efficient as miles rack up and at 7000 mile changes you can use whatever is on sale when the interval is up.
If you are after cleanliness I suggest some mmo 1000 miles before you change the oil.
If your basically doing a few cleaning runs why not try a diesel oil and mmo. The mmo will thin the usually thick hdeo and you are saving a few bucks in the process.
I've used seafoam to clean internals before(can't find mmo) and it seemed to work really well for the first couple thousand kms but lost its effectiveness
I like mmo better because it has anti-wear additives,as well as a mild solvent.
It was just a thought to maybe save you a few bucks.

Even thought I do not normally use them, the Toyota OEM's have a lot of filter media packed inside. Usually 40 to 50% more in test that I have seen from cut open filters. I don't like them because their cans are very slick and hard to remove without tools. I love the grippy surface on Pure One's and Frams.

Those r great filters. I think the best bang for the buck for less then 10k changes is the Pure-One. 10k and over I like the mobil EP or K&N

I always ran a P1 on my 2uz powered 4runner with excellent OUAs. Toyotas are generally so easy on oil that its comes down to what's the least expensive / makes you feel good. both vehicles will be fine for 7.k on any.

Originally Posted By: DirtRacer53
If your planning on running 7000 mile oci, i would look into running pureone filters.
+1 Amazon has them.

I wouldn't recommend using a Toyota filter, as the efficiency is nothing to write home about. Beyond that, all the other ones named are good filters.

I would choose according to the OCI and/or the situation. Why is that important? Capacity. The full synthetic filters (the Ultra is one) combine high efficiency with high capacity, so they can make a long run without worry of reaching their capacity limit. They would be good for cleaning too because there is virtually no chance of them plugging up and the high efficiency would catch more loose stuff quicker. I like the Ultra because it's an $8-9 filter (regular price, I just bought some at $7) that's as good as the $15-20 filters.

The Pure1 is a good filter too and has a lot of value for the money, and is very efficient, but it's a syn blend (cellulose with synthetic) so the capacity is much lower (in one application, a P1 is 16 grams capacity and the Ultra is 30... from what I have seen, this gap would be typical between most syn blend and full syn filters). Capacity may not be an issue at 7K, even if you are doing some cleaning, but if you really don't know how much gunk will break loose, you would want as much as you can get for "insurance."

Based on the filtering performance I've seen on the Toyota OEM filter (~50% @ 20 microns per ISO testing standard), I don't use them anymore. They don't filter very well ... I'd expect better from Toyota, but seems their filters are sub-par in performance.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. One more question. Where do the Napa Gold and napa Platinum filters rank compared to the pure ones and the fram ultra. (The upcoming Napa Filter Sale made me think of this).

Originally Posted By: DesertTundra
Thanks for all of the feedback guys. One more question. Where do the Napa Gold and napa Platinum filters rank compared to the pure ones and the fram ultra. (The upcoming Napa Filter Sale made me think of this).

The PureOne is 99.9% @ 20 microns and Ultra is 99% @ 20 microns ... not sure about the NAPA Gold and Platinum are exactly these days. I know the NAPA Gold at one time was around 95% @ 20 microns. Not sure if they even list beta filtering performance much anymore, and WIX (who makes NAPA) has been changing the beta info lately.

I haven't used a Yota OEM oil filter for both the 2002 Sequoia (150k miles) and 1997 4Runner (250k miles) ever since their factory warranties expired. Both run and look showroom new.

I usually run a Fram Extended Guard/Bosch Distance Plus/Mobil 1 or K&N for 2 oil changes every 7,500 miles for 15,000 miles on a can with synthetic oil.

One advantage of a full syn filter is improved flow through out the FCI,so if that's important to you its something to consider..

Originally Posted By: daman
One advantage of a full syn filter is improved flow through out the FCI,so if that's important to you its something to consider..

Hey daman, I'm not sure what FCI means. I'm pretty new here. I did check the acronym list but i couldn't find it there.

Last edited:

Hey daman, I'm not sure what FCI means. I'm pretty new here. I did check the acronym list but i couldn't find it there.

Took me a minute too, I think it means Filter Change Interval.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

Took me a minute too, I think it means Filter Change Interval.

Right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back