lucas synthetic oil stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
it is as clear as water. I believe that indicates it is made from the highest quality virgin oil and has had the most severe hydrocracking. It also may have some PAO because of the high viscosity. It probably has a balance of normal additives with some extra(high quality )moly. I have only been using 8 ounces per five quarts of mobil 10-30 high endurance because my engines are not worn. In my slightly worn 3.0 caravan with 180,000 mile, I use castrol 20-50 syntec and 16 ounces of lucas. This seems to give more power, better gas mileage at high speeds, and a quieter engine at start up.

It's "probably" true, it "seems" to be true...it's...well...nevermind (you guess what I'm thinking).

Frankly, I don't care about Lucas additives if you ask me for I'm already using GC/M1.

If it is as clear as water, it's additive package is slim or none.

Bob seemed to think Lucas HD Oil Stabilizer was petroleum "Bright Stock."

--- Bror Jace

High quality oil is made two ways. Either a high quality virgin oil with some hydrocracking or a lower quality virgin oil with lots of hydrocracking. I remember that high quality virgin oil and lots of hydrocracking produces a clear oil. Additives do not change the color and there is a clear oil on the market, but it is very expensive. I don't remember the name, but I will search later. The oil color is a different color based on the oil, not the additives. I have gotten factual improvements from Lucas and it is too popular to not be of benefit.( There would have been some evidence of any problems by now.)

quote:

Originally posted by babydoggy:
I have gotten factual improvements from Lucas and it is too popular to not be of benefit.( There would have been some evidence of any problems by now.)

Popularity does not always mean a product works, remember Slick 50?

If its working for you, motor on. Some folks like it, but it never did anything for me. I've found my products of choice after using lots of stuff out there.

I would be very reluctant to use the stuff in extremely cold weather. The viscosity at operating temp is roughly 900% thicker than 10w-30 motor oil. It only gets thicker from there in cold weather!

I don't use it in the winter, either. I also use less than what they say to use. One cup for the newer cars, two cups for the old one. One bottle for three cars. The stuff is great in the summer for a lead foot.

I did not want to mislead anyone or come on to strong. But I have done some testing. I used it first in my old van and checked the mileage. I am good at keeping track of mileage and I did a get 1-2 mpg increase. Also, the old van has a directive to increase the size of the radiator if it ever replaced. The thing runs hot at high speeds in the summer. The temperture guage did go down a little after I added it.

If your coolant temp changes with different oil then you have other problems. I'm not sure what would cause an increase in mileage. Isn't lucas not much more then a thick with with a bunch of VIIs?

-T

quote:

Originally posted by babydoggy:
I have gotten factual improvements from Lucas and it is too popular to not be of benefit.( There would have been some evidence of any problems by now.)

You must be kidding. STP was around and popular for 10 years before anyone figured out that it just thickened the oil. Slick 50, DuraLube, Etc. all have had their day in the sun.

There is a reason the engine makers and the oil companies both recommend no additives be added.
nono.gif

to be honest with you, I use quality oil in the first place and it doesn't need to be "stabilized" by pouring anything in it to thicken it. my engines last over 200k with no special treatment or special oils.

exactly what measurable benefit you are gaining from Lucas products?

babydoggy,

Have you considered using the Schaeffer's #132 Moly EP? This product is good at thickening M1 and boosting its lackluster additive package.

Lucas might make some decent products but they seem to advertise heavily. I become suspicious of this since Slick 50, Duralube and Prolong did this.

Luscas is not loaded with viscosity index improvers and it does not foam. That is why I use it in 20% with royal purple synthetic in the rear axle of my Caprice. I like to very slightly overfill. After driving 3 hours in 100 temperature on the highway, I pulled the plug. NO FOAMING. I also put my hand on the rear axle. It was not hot.

bd,

I am not sure why you need use Lucas with a super premium product like Royal Purple gear oil or Redline for that matter.

I thought Lucas was for the off the shelf mass market stuff like Coastal not products like RP and RL that are synthetic and have superior additive packages.

I'd love to see an example of this stuff being used in a crankcase and the resulting UOA looking like it at least might be an improvement over a similar one without Lucas goo.

Yes, there would be a lot of variables, but I'd be willing to go along if it looked like there was a fair attempt to see how much this goo 'improves' an oil.

--- Bror Jace

I use regular ( not synthetic )it in the axle of my caprice because it has a slight ringing at certain speeds. Read what Lucas says it does on the bottle. My caprice has 130,000 miles and I don't always drive it. I did not want any leaks with the axle with synthetic, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back